Discussion of PAII's new site and PAII convention (moved)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
THis was originally a resource posting about PAII but got pulled so far off topic I split it off on its own. Sorry for any confusion.

Great resource posting, Swirt!
regular_smile.gif

For all on this fourm, if you haven't checked out our new web site, take a peek at www.innkeeping.org. LOTS of changes.
And, thanks to several of you on here, we will be announcing big changes to our membership model in about 2 months making membership in PAII a "no brainer."
Best regards,
Jay

regular_smile.gif

For all on this fourm, if you haven't checked out our new web site, take a peek at www.innkeeping.org. LOTS of changes.
And, thanks to several of you on here, we will be announcing big changes to our membership model in about 2 months making membership in PAII a "no brainer."
Best regards,
Jay.
Sorry Jay, I just realised earlier today that PAII wasn't listed in our resources and it is one that should have been in there from the start. My apologies for overlooking it for so long.
In fact, I am going to change the ownership of this resource posting to you so that you can give it a better description than I did. When you look at this page you should now see an edit tab at the top. Feel free to edit it to give it a better description.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
I saw The Innkeepers Store and thought there would be tshirts available. You know, like black tshirts with white lettering:
"INNKEEPING IS NOT FOR SISSIES"

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
I saw The Innkeepers Store and thought there would be tshirts available. You know, like black tshirts with white lettering:
Fantastic idea! Let's see what we can come up with.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
What is the difference between the November New England Innkeeping show and the Innkeeping Show in Austin Texas. Do people got to both or just one of them?

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
jkarennj said:
Yeah if nothing else they can be prizes for those who complete classes or something.
*Credit given to JBJ for that slogan.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
What is the difference between the November New England Innkeeping show and the Innkeeping Show in Austin Texas. Do people got to both or just one of them?
There are two main differences...
Most of the content at the New England Show will focus on truly regional matters, i.e. tapping into New England tourism efforts, working with New England farmers to get great New England-grown food to your guests, working with New England media, meetings with the six state tourism departments, etc. We'll sprinkle in some general education content, i.e. internet marketing, operations issues, etc.
The other main difference will be the depth and breadth of the event itself. The Innkeeping Show in Austin covers about 4 days, and you typically find up to 8 classes being offered at the same time. TONS of choices, much larger experience overall. The New England Show is basically a day and a half. Short and sweet, but meaningful, for the drive-in market.
But, that being said, we might realize big success with the New England meeting. TripAdvisor CEO, Steve Kaufer, accepted my invitation to come join us at the event. Vendors are eager to participate. So, this could be as big as the Austin event! :) We'll see.
I expect many innkeepers will come to both shows, since they're both valuable. And of course some will choose one over the other.
Jay

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
oceans said:
Hi Jay,
Let me give it to you in a nutshell...
New England you have lobster, in Austin you get tex mex. :)

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
oceans said:
Hi Jay,
Very cute. Joe Bloggs is much more clever than me.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
oceans said:
Hi Jay,
In Austin you also get the 6th Street music scene, Barton Springs, easy access to the Hill Country, and a much, much more :) I will definitely be in Austin !! Texas here I come!!

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Most of the content at the New England Show will focus on truly regional matters, i.e. tapping into New England tourism efforts, working with New England farmers to get great New England-grown food to your guests, working with New England media, meetings with the six state tourism departments, etc. We'll sprinkle in some general education content, i.e. internet marketing, operations issues, etc.
The other main difference will be the depth and breadth of the event itself. The Innkeeping Show in Austin covers about 4 days, and you typically find up to 8 classes being offered at the same time. TONS of choices, much larger experience overall. The New England Show is basically a day and a half. Short and sweet, but meaningful, for the drive-in market.
But, that being said, we might realize big success with the New England meeting. TripAdvisor CEO, Steve Kaufer, accepted my invitation to come join us at the event. Vendors are eager to participate. So, this could be as big as the Austin event! :) We'll see.
I expect many innkeepers will come to both shows, since they're both valuable. And of course some will choose one over the other.
Jay
Thanks for clarifying this. I would love to come to a conference some day. Maybe the one in Austin.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
ETA: Never mind, I see it on the new website pages.
Jay is there a hotel chosen already for Austin? It is important to my DH to know where it will be located before we will make plans to go. I haven't seen that detail on the PAII website.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
If you've never gone to a PAII conference, all I can say is GO!!!!!!

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
oceans said:
Hi Jay,
Joe Bloggs said:
oceans said:
Hi Jay,
Unfortunately, Tex Mex is ALL you can get in Texas. In fact, Tex Mex is the new Starbucks.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes they are great IF YOU have the moolah. EXPENSIVE
RIki

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off and you will learn an enormous amount which helps you increase business. Well worth it in the long run. We go every 2 years and I know we would not be as successful if we didn't participate.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off and you will learn an enormous amount which helps you increase business. Well worth it in the long run. We go every 2 years and I know we would not be as successful if we didn't participate.
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off
Sorry, it is not a tax write-off. It IS a tax deduction, but only a portion of it comes off the taxes. I already have so many deductions ot would not matter one whit for my taxes but it would for my bank account. OUCH!
See that is the big problem. I am not anti-Conference. Actually I am pro-Conference - it is such a learning and networking experience. BUT I am barely able to afford my State Association Conference - PAII is unreachable for my meager income. Not playing "poor-mouth", just the facts. I probably give away roo many nights to state members and to my City and donate (still) more than I should, but am really content with where I am so the $$$ are not all that important - as long as I can come up with the honking loan payment, insurance, and taxes I have all I want. Next year starts the get it in gear to show what it would be if I did not give away the store so it will be saleable in 2 years. No freebie donations for 2010.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Sorry, it is not a tax write-off. It IS a tax deduction, but only a portion of it comes off the taxes. I already have so many deductions ot would not matter one whit for my taxes but it would for my bank account. OUCH!
See that is the big problem. I am not anti-Conference. Actually I am pro-Conference - it is such a learning and networking experience. BUT I am barely able to afford my State Association Conference - PAII is unreachable for my meager income. Not playing "poor-mouth", just the facts. I probably give away roo many nights to state members and to my City and donate (still) more than I should, but am really content with where I am so the $$$ are not all that important - as long as I can come up with the honking loan payment, insurance, and taxes I have all I want. Next year starts the get it in gear to show what it would be if I did not give away the store so it will be saleable in 2 years. No freebie donations for 2010.
Hey, if you're happy where you are great! No need to spend the money. I think you may be in the minority though. Most inn mates here are looking for a little bigger piece of the pie.
If any of you do go to the conference, we could do a meet and greet for inn mates. I've already got my innsitter lined up.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Hey, if you're happy where you are great! No need to spend the money. I think you may be in the minority though. Most inn mates here are looking for a little bigger piece of the pie.
If any of you do go to the conference, we could do a meet and greet for inn mates. I've already got my innsitter lined up.
Breakfast Diva said:
Well, with only two rooms I'm sorry to say that I can't afford to go. It's fun and there is lots to see and do, but in the past it's been way overpriced. If I had plenty of rooms and could afford an innsitter, I would go.
RIki

Back