Dishwashers (mechanical, not manual)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Fed up with the 25 yo dishwasher. The coating is gone from the racks so all the silverware comes out tarnished even tho it is completely new and some of it hasn't even been used yet! It leaks. It's a mess.
So, my want list:
  1. High capacity (must do 14 dinner plates, dessert plates, glasses, cups & silverware at one time, if not more);
  2. Must have a high temp water boost heater;
  3. Must have a high temp, sanitize dry cycle;
  4. Quiet would be nice, but is not that important (altho the one we have now is really quiet);
  5. Under $800 (less would be better, $800 is a random number)
  6. Great reviews from innkeepers who hate double loads of dishes (we do not do double loads right now, do not want to start!)
Our dishwasher right now does all of the above but it is no longer made and we can't get parts for it or we'd fix it.

I WISH my dishwasher would be quiet when doing dishes - especially since he thinks it is OK to do dishes between 11 PM & Midnight! Clink! Clank!

The last dishwasher I had was a Bosch. That thing was so darn quiet, that I'd have to open it to see if it was even running. That is what I'll be putting back in here when we remodel the galley (kitchen).

Wish I could help but mine is 16 years old. With all this talk about dishwashers of late I gave mine a good look... mine does everything you list, still looks VERY good - has one spot that will not come clean and 2 rack tips are worn but right now (knock on wood) it is still working like a charm. Mine is a Maytag

Wish I could help but mine is 16 years old. With all this talk about dishwashers of late I gave mine a good look... mine does everything you list, still looks VERY good - has one spot that will not come clean and 2 rack tips are worn but right now (knock on wood) it is still working like a charm. Mine is a Maytag.
Yes, mine is a Maytag as well. Guess that's what I should be looking at.

14 settings at one time? I have only seen true commercial do that many. Even when it says 8 or 10 it's not counting 3 courses ... not to mention all the cups and glasses ....then again maybe someone else knows of one

I'm using a Bosch and it has been a godsend. It holds a lot of plates, cups, glasses and silverware. It is very smartly designed with the adjustable racks and fold down shelves for cups etc. The silverware holders can be taken out completely which is nice if you have a lot of big items to put in. It is all stainless steel inside and out. It is so quiet...all I hear is the water running through the pipes to the washer and it uses a lot less water. The new one they have out now only uses 2 gallons of water for the entire wash. Check with your health dept to make sure it will work in your area. I was worried but the health inspector here said it was fine. He said just as long as when you open it up after its finished and there is a lot of steam coming out it should be fine. It gets up the the right temperature and has a sanitize cycle too.

To do alot of dishes.........silver tray has to be in the door.
Whirlpool

To do alot of dishes.........silver tray has to be in the door.
Whirlpool.
Talk about sentences that really make you think. In Canada, silver is a metal and a colour.... and I would never put my silver next to anything that is stainless in my dishwasher... until it dawn on me that you meant the tray for the cutlery/silverware.
Even when we speak the same language, sometimes we just use it so differently.

Bosch is rated as one of the best by Consumer Reports. We have a Kitchenaid and have been very satisfied with ours.

Bosch is rated as one of the best by Consumer Reports. We have a Kitchenaid and have been very satisfied with ours..
catlady said:
Bosch is rated as one of the best by Consumer Reports. We have a Kitchenaid and have been very satisfied with ours.
We recently replaced ours, and checked with Consumer Reports first. One caution - read the ratings, and then read the reviews. I was surprised at how often these didn't match up...until I read the reviews and saw how often the purchaser's interpretation of the rating wasn't quite "on" in terms of how the end user was going to employ the appliance. Helped me choose better, I think.
We got a Whirlpool - which supposedly can fit 14 place settings, but I think those must be some sort of Lilliputian place settings. Or something. Flatware rack is in the door. I like that a lot. Only hitch is that I see a big difference if I don't run the hot water in the tap closest to the dishwasher before starting it. The owner's manual actually says to do this (hmm.....didn't read the owner's manual before purchase). Anyway, that sort of renders the delay cycle useless. Fortunatley, not too big an issue for us. It does have a high- temp sanitizing cycle as well as a high temp rinse.

As an appliance salesman, I have had an opportunity to get feedback from both customers as well as the technicians. Here is my take. Maytag went out of business several years ago. The Maytag you see on the floor today is a rework of a Whirlpool. Most of the better DW have the better nylon coated racking rather than the vinyl. You can tell which kind you have by try cutting the rack with your finger nail. The vinyl will score but not the nylon. It is much harder. Stay away from Frigidaire & GE. They just don’t do the job. Plastic tubs are not as quiet as the stainless ones. The plastic can discolour over time. Manufactures are starting to rate the decibels of the units, but there is no standard for the ratings. Was the microphone 2 feet away or 10 feet away when the tests were made? Kitchenaid has two motors available today the standard grinder (macerator) style and the new European (bosch) style. Both are effective. We have a 3 yr old Kenmore built by Kitchenaid with the grinding system with the fully adjustable racking. Works great. Dead quiet at 50dbs. The Bosch is the quietest on the market for the price range, although they are smaller in depth than the American designed units. European cupboards are about 3 inches shorter than the standard American units. Therefore you can only get about 12 place settings rather than 14.( Bosch states it will hold 14 palce setting, but be aware of the tine placement. They are so close together some dishes won't fit.) Bosch will wash anything you can throw at it. With two temperature selections of 140° F and 165° F there is nothing it cannot wash. Bosch also has their Aqua stop feature which guarantees it will not leak. The whirlpool utensils in the door have had many complaints for not washing about 10 to 15% of the utensils, but just leave them for the next time. Very convenient.
IMHO
Hope this helps.

BBBob

As an appliance salesman, I have had an opportunity to get feedback from both customers as well as the technicians. Here is my take. Maytag went out of business several years ago. The Maytag you see on the floor today is a rework of a Whirlpool. Most of the better DW have the better nylon coated racking rather than the vinyl. You can tell which kind you have by try cutting the rack with your finger nail. The vinyl will score but not the nylon. It is much harder. Stay away from Frigidaire & GE. They just don’t do the job. Plastic tubs are not as quiet as the stainless ones. The plastic can discolour over time. Manufactures are starting to rate the decibels of the units, but there is no standard for the ratings. Was the microphone 2 feet away or 10 feet away when the tests were made? Kitchenaid has two motors available today the standard grinder (macerator) style and the new European (bosch) style. Both are effective. We have a 3 yr old Kenmore built by Kitchenaid with the grinding system with the fully adjustable racking. Works great. Dead quiet at 50dbs. The Bosch is the quietest on the market for the price range, although they are smaller in depth than the American designed units. European cupboards are about 3 inches shorter than the standard American units. Therefore you can only get about 12 place settings rather than 14.( Bosch states it will hold 14 palce setting, but be aware of the tine placement. They are so close together some dishes won't fit.) Bosch will wash anything you can throw at it. With two temperature selections of 140° F and 165° F there is nothing it cannot wash. Bosch also has their Aqua stop feature which guarantees it will not leak. The whirlpool utensils in the door have had many complaints for not washing about 10 to 15% of the utensils, but just leave them for the next time. Very convenient.
IMHO
Hope this helps.

BBBob.
Yes, very helpful. I can't have 15% of my flatware NOT coming clean in a single wash because the next wash is going to be just as full.

Back