Dislike at first sight

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Why is it that some guests just annoy at first sight? Not even speaking to them, just at first SIGHT?
I know travel is exhausting and not everyone is at their best after hours on the road (me for one) but some people just look like they never clean up. The greasy hair, ill-fitting clothes, really awful makeup, etc.
And then they speak. And the first impression was correct.
I need a break. It's that time of year. (Well, the grubbiness bothers me anytime of year, but moreso when I'm mentally exhausted.)

I've also reached the point of mental exhaustion, but I do agree.
It's not just appearance that can annoy from the start, body language (like people who almost barge past you when you open the door before even saying who they are or what they want) or as I've said in another thread just the way they drive in and park gets me annoyed.

yikes, madeline!
i have seen people emerge transformed from their rooms ... so i tried not to judge too harshly. i have no idea what i looked like after driving 8 hours ... probably pretty bad.
'and then they speak' ... hmmmm ... hand them a cookie/water/coffee/muzzle to muffle the sound?
wink_smile.gif

seriously, can a trusted chambermaid / assistant spell you for a bit?

yikes, madeline!
i have seen people emerge transformed from their rooms ... so i tried not to judge too harshly. i have no idea what i looked like after driving 8 hours ... probably pretty bad.
'and then they speak' ... hmmmm ... hand them a cookie/water/coffee/muzzle to muffle the sound?
wink_smile.gif

seriously, can a trusted chambermaid / assistant spell you for a bit?.
Better this morning. Me, not them. Must just have been lack of sleep.
There's the 'ugh, we've been driving/flying/stuck in the airport for hours' look. And then there's the great unwashed. The look of never being clean. That's what I meant. And it wasn't different this morning. But I was.
And the bossy person came up to me and said what a lovely stay they had here. Shocker that.

AHhhh, been there! I hand 'em over to DH and hope that they are cleaner in their room than they are upon arrival. Otherwise there is bound to be sand all over, food crumbs on the furniture and wet towels on the furniture. It's not so much the greasy people who get to me as the hours of extra work for me that they pose because they are dirty in their living habits. At this time of year we are all exhausted and do not need more work!
Time for a break for us. We schedule a self-imposed 5-day hiatus at the end of the month. Hang out the no vacancy sign, and take some R+R before the fall season begins. It does wonder for our spirits and helps us appreciate our guests.

AHhhh, been there! I hand 'em over to DH and hope that they are cleaner in their room than they are upon arrival. Otherwise there is bound to be sand all over, food crumbs on the furniture and wet towels on the furniture. It's not so much the greasy people who get to me as the hours of extra work for me that they pose because they are dirty in their living habits. At this time of year we are all exhausted and do not need more work!
Time for a break for us. We schedule a self-imposed 5-day hiatus at the end of the month. Hang out the no vacancy sign, and take some R+R before the fall season begins. It does wonder for our spirits and helps us appreciate our guests..
Silverspoon said:
Time for a break for us. We schedule a self-imposed 5-day hiatus at the end of the month. Hang out the no vacancy sign, and take some R+R before the fall season begins. It does wonder for our spirits and helps us appreciate our guests.
We have 2 days off but 5 sounds better! Maybe next year!

I've also reached the point of mental exhaustion, but I do agree.
It's not just appearance that can annoy from the start, body language (like people who almost barge past you when you open the door before even saying who they are or what they want) or as I've said in another thread just the way they drive in and park gets me annoyed..
the bargers make me cross - Im like "excuse me?"

Time for a break for us. We schedule a self-imposed 5-day hiatus at the end of the month. Hang out the no vacancy sign, and take some R+R before the fall season begins. It does wonder for our spirits and helps us appreciate our guests..
Silverspoon said:
We have 2 days off but 5 sounds better! Maybe next year!
Really...it is not easy to give up that income but we more than make up for the loss by staying sane and continuing for another year. Next year will be #24 for us as innkeepers here and I honestly can say that we would not have lasted so long if we didn't take that mini-vacation at the end of August.
Will you close for the 2 days you are taking off?

Yes, we are closed. Still here. Hoping to get some family to come by or go to VT for grandson's 5th b'day.

Yes, we are closed. Still here. Hoping to get some family to come by or go to VT for grandson's 5th b'day..
I blocked 5 days to go get the motorcycle frame and since it is in the same vicinity get to spend a couple days seeing Max and meeting his Mother. We had a brief meeting via Skype just before he was born.

Wow, you really get an interesting assortment of guests!.
Samster said:
Wow, you really get an interesting assortment of guests!
So when are YOU coming to visit? ;-)
hahaha...maybe next year for this "interesting" guest.
wink_smile.gif

We have our trips planned for the rest of this year. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our cruise in November because our upstairs heat pump decided to quit a couple of weeks ago while I was out of town. We had replaced that unit in 2004.
sad_smile.gif
We are still going to take a shorter vacation in Nov though.
I will bury this in this thread... I just got home after a very sad situation - one of my nieces passed away on August 4th. She was only 44 years old. She had to be taken off life support. It was a very difficult time. We are going back to the DC area in October to see my family and check in to see how everyone is doing.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif

We have our trips planned for the rest of this year. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our cruise in November because our upstairs heat pump decided to quit a couple of weeks ago while I was out of town. We had replaced that unit in 2004.
sad_smile.gif
I will bury this in this thread... I just got home after a very sad situation - one of my nieces passed away on August 4th. She was only 44 years old. She had to be taken off life support. It was a very difficult time. We are going back to the DC area in October to see my family and check in to see how everyone is doing.
Please accept my condolences. So young! It has to be rough on everyone. Prayers are with your family for strength to cope.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
That is so tragic for you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Sorry to hear about the cruise, but I'm sure you can still have a wonderful time staying a bit closer to home.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Oh Samster, sorry to hear that.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Oh so sorry to hear that. Such a sad thing when someone so young passes like that.

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. I was lucky to get to say my good-byes to my niece alone at her bedside one evening. As the nurse in the family, I usually have to be the information conduit and the rock for everyone else. Our family came out of this difficult time stronger... which is blessing.

Back