Dissatisfied guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss O'Hara

Reaction score
I posted last week about the guests who had 3 rooms on a busy weekend that had a 2 night minimum and they called and canceled one night. I let them do it because I hadn't properly confirmed with her that it was a 2 night minimum weekend.
Well they showed up yesterday, left almost immedately to go to their event. Got back late and left before breakfast, without telling me so I had tons of extra food.
She called me later and said that the rooms were dirty and she had a list of things that were wrong and she wants a %50 return. Her list of things that were wrong were the porch hadn't been swept, and there was a "bullet hole" in the window (it's a big curved glass window and the hole is a bubble from, I'm assuming, when it was made and was too expensive to re-do), she found a rasin? in the tub and there were crumbs on the bed, oh and the carpets were dirty and there was "an inch of dust on (something)".
I'll give her that my carpets are dingy and I would LOVE to replace them but everything else is just crap. I literally broke down in tears after I got off the phone. How do you handle these types of people who look for every little tiny thing that could be wrong?
Meanwhile my other guests couldn't have been more thrilled. They loved everything and left me a $20 tip.

Say you're sorry they didn't enjoy their stay but they already got a 50% discount by cancelling the one night on a two-night min weekend without penalty and there's nothing else you can do for them. If you're afraid of a bad review give them the 50% off. Otherwise, unless it's something other than the carpet, they can buzz off. If any of the other things besides the porch (unless it was really bad and created the wrong impression) and the window glass (gorgeous stuff that original glass) really were problems then you have a lot more to take care of than worrying about refunding.
You can thank her for her comments if you'd rather be nice about it. 'Thank you for letting us know the things you found wrong. I'll agree with you that the carpet needs a little looking after and we have called the carpet cleaners to come see to it. The 'bullet hole' in the glass is because this is glass is over 150 years old and is original to the house, that's the way it was made in the 1800's. We wish you had brought all of these to our attention when you were here so they could have been corrected or, as with the window, explained. As it is, we are unable to verify that any of these other issues existed.'
Just read in one of those book club books going around how this is a pretty common occurence at restaurants where people have overspent their budget. They come back in a few hours, say they were violently ill, that they got food poisoning and that they want their whole bill (for everyone in the party) refunded.

You handle it by putting her on the DNR list. She took advantage of you last time and figured she could do it again. She is of the hotel - complain and we get it free mentality. Handle her as a person who would complain about something if you offered her a pot full of gold. IGNORE her other than repeating to yourself - take advantage of me once, shame on you BUT take advantage of me twice, shame on ME.
Whatever, do not do any refund, discount, or any other gimmee to this person. She will continue to try to take advantage of you and every other innkeeper.
PLUS this - she was AT YOUR INN once already. IF it was as bad as she says, why did she come back????

Im of the same opinion - they are a breed of customer who thinks its their right to have you on its that simple. I wouldn't be held hostage to a bad review they can get (bleep) on!

You know we have wind, yeah yeah make your jokes...but really we are on a hill and we get wind, we have two VERY LARGE hickory trees that just finished their annual ritual and let me tell you those things are everywhere! Then we get a dash of rain and everything is blown everywhere, sticks to everything and is a mess. There is no way in the world we can keep it clear, no way, impossible. We burn out leaf blowers around here, rfom this spot I can see mounds of these hickory seeds all over the neighbors roof, clinging to anything and everything.
So this means it happens, every day is something new blooming or dying, and debris is a fact of life. We have birds nesting like maniacs right now and with nesting comes pooping!
The person obv just wants money. I am sorry you had this happen, your GUT told you this was going to be a PITA!
pita.gif

Oh boy. We had a hotel manager really give us the run around. NOTHING was to her standards. DEMANDED we refund her money. DEMANDED we provide a cot for one of the party. We told her sure thing, we'll refund it all to you and help you find other accommodations. Went to her website and they categorically refuse to give refunds for any reason. Tons of complaints on TA that things were not as advertised, couldn't get a refund when our 'mountain view room' overlooked nothing but the parking lot, blah blah blah.
When we told her to leave she wouldn't. We told her we'd help her find somewhere else to stay that we did not want unhappy people. So, they stayed one night and left after breakfast. I called the big hotel in town and asked for her by name. Sure enough, that's where she was. Paying double what it was here. I wanted to call later to see if she gave them grief, too.
Other hotel people snuck extra guests into the room. Others trashed the room.
Now we know. When people show up with that kind of attitude it is now out the door, no looking back. The worry is not worth it.

Oh Gosh, I feel for you. You try so hard to please and get kick instead of thanked.
There is not much you can do about this one, who is GONE, thank goodness. My only advice is to try to figure out how to avoid this type in the future. We raised our prices, made a few key improvements and found that with the higher $$$ we got a better class of guest. Mind you, if your rates go too high then expectations may be too high and guests will not be happy. So there is a fine line where rates and expectations are matched.

Well since she is in the industry she knows there is no way for you to confirm all of her complaints. And she knows that this is the cowards way to handle any complaint. I like what Maddie said to tell her. And I would be
potty-mouth.gif
if I would give ANY refund as she already got one.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.
pita.gif
I agree, no refunds. Believe me, if she's of the mind to give you a bad review, she'll do it even if you refund money. Then how will you feel?!
Follow Maddie's innsiteful suggestion and just be done with her.

Oh boy. We had a hotel manager really give us the run around. NOTHING was to her standards. DEMANDED we refund her money. DEMANDED we provide a cot for one of the party. We told her sure thing, we'll refund it all to you and help you find other accommodations. Went to her website and they categorically refuse to give refunds for any reason. Tons of complaints on TA that things were not as advertised, couldn't get a refund when our 'mountain view room' overlooked nothing but the parking lot, blah blah blah.
When we told her to leave she wouldn't. We told her we'd help her find somewhere else to stay that we did not want unhappy people. So, they stayed one night and left after breakfast. I called the big hotel in town and asked for her by name. Sure enough, that's where she was. Paying double what it was here. I wanted to call later to see if she gave them grief, too.
Now we know. When people show up with that kind of attitude it is now out the door, no looking back. The worry is not worth it..
Madeleine said:
When we told her to leave she wouldn't.
I hope I can find an Arkansas innkeepers' jurisprudence class someday. There are so many things I'd like to know. For instance, I've heard that stores, bars, etc. really can physically remove you and your possessions from their property, but I'd like to know that I can toss somebody and their stuff out of my place without being guilty of assault. And I need to know at what point you have to go through eviction proceedings before you can get them out.
And I've heard that a hotel/inn can legally impound (and eventually auction off, if need be) your luggage & contents, lock the room, etc. if you come up without enough money to pay the bill at checkout time.
I'm sure every state and city has different laws on this stuff, but I really hope some day to learn the real answers, and, for a change, not have to learn the answers the hard way!
Sounds like I need to talk to the state B&B or Hospitality Assn...add that to the long to-do list!

Now we know. When people show up with that kind of attitude it is now out the door, no looking back. The worry is not worth it..
Madeleine said:
When we told her to leave she wouldn't.
I hope I can find an Arkansas innkeepers' jurisprudence class someday. There are so many things I'd like to know. For instance, I've heard that stores, bars, etc. really can physically remove you and your possessions from their property, but I'd like to know that I can toss somebody and their stuff out of my place without being guilty of assault. And I need to know at what point you have to go through eviction proceedings before you can get them out.
And I've heard that a hotel/inn can legally impound (and eventually auction off, if need be) your luggage & contents, lock the room, etc. if you come up without enough money to pay the bill at checkout time.
I'm sure every state and city has different laws on this stuff, but I really hope some day to learn the real answers, and, for a change, not have to learn the answers the hard way!
Sounds like I need to talk to the state B&B or Hospitality Assn...add that to the long to-do list!
We didn't force the issue and wish we had after we read how she treats her own guests.

And we've all seen movies where a store's private security rent-a-cop can handcuff and detain suspected shoplifters. We property owners may have more power over these people staying in our places than we realize! But many guests seem to think THEY are the ones in charge.

And we've all seen movies where a store's private security rent-a-cop can handcuff and detain suspected shoplifters. We property owners may have more power over these people staying in our places than we realize! But many guests seem to think THEY are the ones in charge..
We've also seen the outrage when those same security people ban 4 year olds from ever returning to the mall. It's always a good idea to know the rules in your own town/county/state because it is different when it is lodging.

I believe she had to come up with a reason to get her 50% back. its sad how people look at things.
i guess we just dont have to bother about such guest and just forget what about them.
Miss O'Hara said:
I posted last week about the guests who had 3 rooms on a busy weekend that had a 2 night minimum and they called and canceled one night. I let them do it because I hadn't properly confirmed with her that it was a 2 night minimum weekend.
Well they showed up yesterday, left almost immedately to go to their event. Got back late and left before breakfast, without telling me so I had tons of extra food.
She called me later and said that the rooms were dirty and she had a list of things that were wrong and she wants a %50 return. Her list of things that were wrong were the porch hadn't been swept, and there was a "bullet hole" in the window (it's a big curved glass window and the hole is a bubble from, I'm assuming, when it was made and was too expensive to re-do), she found a rasin? in the tub and there were crumbs on the bed, oh and the carpets were dirty and there was "an inch of dust on (something)".
I'll give her that my carpets are dingy and I would LOVE to replace them but everything else is just crap. I literally broke down in tears after I got off the phone. How do you handle these types of people who look for every little tiny thing that could be wrong?
Meanwhile my other guests couldn't have been more thrilled. They loved everything and left me a $20 tip.

i am so sorry!
i like madeline's answer. that you already gave her a deal. i hate this kind of sneak attack ... leaving and compiling a complaint list and that asking for a partial refund.
you don't say how you responded to her comments on the phone.

You handle it by putting her on the DNR list. She took advantage of you last time and figured she could do it again. She is of the hotel - complain and we get it free mentality. Handle her as a person who would complain about something if you offered her a pot full of gold. IGNORE her other than repeating to yourself - take advantage of me once, shame on you BUT take advantage of me twice, shame on ME.
Whatever, do not do any refund, discount, or any other gimmee to this person. She will continue to try to take advantage of you and every other innkeeper.
PLUS this - she was AT YOUR INN once already. IF it was as bad as she says, why did she come back????.
gillumhouse said:
You handle it by putting her on the DNR list.
...AND you 'casually' mention her name to every other B&B you know, local or otherwise!
pita.gif
These people should not be able to take advantage of anyone else, either. And really, did the fact that the porch needed swept really effect her stay? come on!

Miss O' I don't know you, I don't think I know you with your pseudonym, and I feel bad for you with this guest situation. I am going to step over the line here and ask "If any of this could be perceived as true from the guest perspective?" I ask, only as all customer service training teaches that the guest sees what they see, and no matter what we see we cannot change their perspective. Was there a raisin in the tub and crumbs on the bed?
I specifically address these points, as I stayed at the uncomfort inn here and had a raisin, and as I tell the story either 1) a raisin, or 2) a bloated cochroach, in the room. I never said a word, and I wouldn't try to get my money back after the fact, that would be absurd. But I did see it, and I didn't like it.
So if this were true, would you refund 50% of their room rate?
I have to ask, as I know many of us will do these things to get the annoying guest out of our hair and be done with them, but othertimes dang it, it is worth the fight! When you know they are trumping up things.

Back