Do all credit cards expire this year???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
It seems that every other call or booking we get the guest has a card that will be expired by the time they get here. No one has another card, they all have to use the expired one and I am caught between hoping for the best or sending them someplace else. There are a couple I have to contact this month for the updated expiry, but this is getting old.

Yes I have noticed this at least 10 reservations I have had this week! I am running with hoping for the best as if they expire the long number stays the same just the expiry date changes so you if it came to charging it you could just try years till it went through ie 2012, 2013

I have had this as well.
What I am doing on my reservation system (Webervations) is placing a # at the end of their last name. Then at the beginning of each month I check all those with the # to check them for the exp. date and if it expires during that month, I have a form message ready to send requesting them to contact me with the new exp. date in order to retain their reservation.
I started adding a statement in their confirmation as well - "Credit Card on file expires prior to your reservation, we will need you new card information as soon as you receive it in order to retain your reservation." A few have followed through prior to me sending the email, but most forget (that is if they have read this in the 1st place.)

racheljones pretty good thinking. I know in 2008 my mailbox quit getting all of those credit card mailings so maybe 2007 was the last year of great deals? don't they get 3 years on a mastercard or visa?

There is no fixed period for card issuance, it depends on the issuing bank, the affiliate bank (like it may be a specific visa but backed by Morgan Chase or other) the client/customer, the card affiliation (ie like an "American Airlines" Amex or a "Disney Visa")
Card issuers are issuing shorter periods than they used to because of all the crap that is going on with cc regulations and delinquencies. When I worked in hotels the exp date had to be at least equal to the month / year of arrival. I use that same policy now, if the card will expire before they arrive, no res. And anyone with good credit can request a new card that will stretch out their exp date.

I have had this as well.
What I am doing on my reservation system (Webervations) is placing a # at the end of their last name. Then at the beginning of each month I check all those with the # to check them for the exp. date and if it expires during that month, I have a form message ready to send requesting them to contact me with the new exp. date in order to retain their reservation.
I started adding a statement in their confirmation as well - "Credit Card on file expires prior to your reservation, we will need you new card information as soon as you receive it in order to retain your reservation." A few have followed through prior to me sending the email, but most forget (that is if they have read this in the 1st place.).
deleted

Back