Do guests forget you? Forget your B&B?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We've had some odd ones over the years...people who insist they've stayed here and then describe a completely different place to us. Guests who book here, arrive and say, 'Hmm, did you do a lot of renovating? It sure looks different.'
What we haven't had up until now is someone who has stayed 3 times and acts like she's never been here before. And all 3 times with us. And the last time was last year!
She made her own rez this year and didn't select 'repeat guest'. She arrives and introduces herself. And not like, 'Hi! Remember me from last year?' Nope, a complete 'new guest' intro.
Today she came in and I thanked her for helping us out with a room swap. She asked, 'How do you know who I am?'
OK, I figured there's a reason for this so I didn't say, 'Because I know you from the other times you've stayed.' I just said, 'You're the last one in, it has to be you!'
Last year she called to make the rez and I asked, 'Have you been here before?' 'No.' So I did a whole new guest record and then realized I knew the name and looked it up and there she was.

OK - so you take the cake at least this weekend!
I think I would have a hard time not saying anything... at least I would say "Do you have a twin? You look just like one of our repeat guests."
If she truly doesn't remember you or your B&B - at least you know that what ever attracted her to your place, you still 'have it'.

There were two couples who were the best of friends. As they got older, they bought a house with each of the couples living in one of the wings - so every morning they could meet new people in the foyer.

That is really, really strange. Forgetting one time is understandable, but three times! Now, I have been known to forget guests who've stayed with me before, until I see them. Then I remember them.

That is really, really strange. Forgetting one time is understandable, but three times! Now, I have been known to forget guests who've stayed with me before, until I see them. Then I remember them..
That is bizarre. Is she travelling alone? Maybe she doesn't want her partner to know she's been there before? I think I'd much rather have that situation than one I have found myself in before - not recognizing a name when I take the rez over the phone...they don't volunteer that they've stayed here...they come to the door, and I introduce myself. Their response was "Oh good, you have the same name as last time!" . Jokes all around, but horribly embarassing. OTOH, how can we possibly be expected to remember thousands of people, some of which stayed one night and you barely spoke to? I try to make a note in the Webervations program of something that will help me to remember them, and this has helped.
Anyway...yes, what an odd guest. Is she pleasant otherwise?

Maybe she has a long term memory loss problem. I think I have heard of some people having that.

That is really, really strange. Forgetting one time is understandable, but three times! Now, I have been known to forget guests who've stayed with me before, until I see them. Then I remember them..
That is bizarre. Is she travelling alone? Maybe she doesn't want her partner to know she's been there before? I think I'd much rather have that situation than one I have found myself in before - not recognizing a name when I take the rez over the phone...they don't volunteer that they've stayed here...they come to the door, and I introduce myself. Their response was "Oh good, you have the same name as last time!" . Jokes all around, but horribly embarassing. OTOH, how can we possibly be expected to remember thousands of people, some of which stayed one night and you barely spoke to? I try to make a note in the Webervations program of something that will help me to remember them, and this has helped.
Anyway...yes, what an odd guest. Is she pleasant otherwise?
That's not being funny, that's being passively aggressively upset that you didn't remember THEM. Not a nice comment to have made, but I'm sure you handled it very gracefully.
What makes me smile are the truly great repeaters who you clearly remember, who walk in assuming you WON'T remember them because they get how busy you are. Then you make their day when you do know them!

wow, mort. does the place seem new to her ? she has to be shown where the dining room is, etc.? totally could be a memory thing ... familiar situation with someone very close to me right now. some kind of dementia ... not alzheimer's ... senility of some kind ... puzzling ... and i say ... 'do you not remember? we came here last week (or last year)? and total puzzlement on their face. the more details i fill in, the more this person struggles to try to remember and nods 'i think so' ... and i just let it go not wanting to upset .... and pretend i don't know they don't really remember ... but it's not really there. yet memories of long LONG ago are recalled and rehashed in great detail over and over and over again, down to the weather that day, colors of houses and color of the floor in a kitchen, the names of long forgotten streets, stores, parents' names, dogs and cats' names. a brain scan shows dark 'spots' on the brain but we have no diagnosis yet. and the person functions, doesn't get lost, but something isn't right .....

You just described my mom to a " T "
Though she has other complications along with it..........but saw the memory problems creaping in before her stroke almost 6 years ago.
It's frustrating.......for us and her

Well...I'd take it as a compliment !
thumbs_up.gif
.You could make a lasting impression by serving her cold eggs for bfast, bad service, etc, but thats just not in an Innkeepers blood .We all try to please, within reason.Mary in Bwater.

I find just the contrary, people who have been here once (maybe even twice) in 7 1/2 years always assume that I remember them, and I nearly always pretend that I do, or at least don't admit that I don't.

My reverse...a guy called and swore he stayed with us. NO WAY...when asked to decribe it...couldn't.....what an impression. Turns out...a place with a similar name at least 30 miles from here.
My guess...she has a memory problem...oh well.

I find just the contrary, people who have been here once (maybe even twice) in 7 1/2 years always assume that I remember them, and I nearly always pretend that I do, or at least don't admit that I don't..
I know the feeling...had a couple repeats...who I honestly did not remember :-( But I tried to "fake" it.

Totally still do not get what the problem is. She was fine at breakfast but none of the usual small talk about what's been going on since last year, etc. But some guests are like that. I guess I wait and see if she books again for next year.

Back