Do I look like the Chamber of Commerce?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
This happens every season and it always frosts my cake! Got an e-mail from someone, not a guest, not a prospective guest, never been a guest, and here it is:
Hello,

I will be visiting (insert our town) in a few weeks. I’m interested in dining experiences unique to your city—could you make some recommendations?
Amazing...like I have time to give her inside info when she is not staying here. I sent her a link to the Chamber of Commerce, without comment. The things I wanted to say were not polite!

Got pretty much the same email this morning for our area, worded almost exactly as your post, this makes it sound rather like a scam or someone setting up a list to sell like it was original information.

Every season we get these calls! Worse, we get them because if you search for info on shopping in my town, my website comes up close to the top.
Hi! What store carries (blank)? What time do they open/close?
Me: this is a B&b are you looking to make a reservation?
No. Just tell me what time the store opens! You DO know that don't you???
Me: sigh.

Same person every year?.
I am not sure since the inquiries usually come in by phone. And then there are the calls from those looking for the name of other places to stay. They describe the location, sort of, and want the name and telephone number. I send them to the Chamber too!

Every season we get these calls! Worse, we get them because if you search for info on shopping in my town, my website comes up close to the top.
Me: sigh..
Morticia said:
Me: sigh.
Me : "Sure! As soon as you pick out a room and I run the credit card, I'll be happy to tell you all about the store and their hours."
Click!
No we just get people trying to get our money by signing up for this and that.

Same person every year?.
I am not sure since the inquiries usually come in by phone. And then there are the calls from those looking for the name of other places to stay. They describe the location, sort of, and want the name and telephone number. I send them to the Chamber too!
Is your number close to the chamber or a sight seeing info place? We had friends that the new walmart had one number off from theirs. The kids had fun transferring from one to another…. "Hi, bakery, how can I help you? Oh okay, let me transfer you." Then it went to putting them on hold and see how long it took before the person hung up…. Then they got caller ID and an answering machine complete with the walmart number.

Same person every year?.
Is your number close to the chamber or a sight seeing info place? We had friends that the new walmart had one number off from theirs. The kids had fun transferring from one to another…. "Hi, bakery, how can I help you? Oh okay, let me transfer you." Then it went to putting them on hold and see how long it took before the person hung up…. Then they got caller ID and an answering machine complete with the walmart number.
No, our number is no where near the Chamber's. I do love your bakery story!
devil_smile.gif

The simple reply.
Sure, can you tell me your reservation number, so I can see the dates you will be here.

Got pretty much the same email this morning for our area, worded almost exactly as your post, this makes it sound rather like a scam or someone setting up a list to sell like it was original information..
I got this e-mail this morning also. It's a scam of some sort. Delete.

Got mine this morning from a Doctor..
DH figured it was a scam. Now I am sorry I even sent a link to the Chamber site. Should have just deleted. Shame on me, I should know better!
embaressed_smile.gif

I can't say mine was not a scam or something questionable since the wording sounded exactly like your email, but I did receive a nice reply today thanking me for my time answering about eating places I liked in our area, somehow I wouldn't see a scammer wasting their time writing a reply so maybe just someone wanting a local non commercial opinion.

DH figured it was a scam. Now I am sorry I even sent a link to the Chamber site. Should have just deleted. Shame on me, I should know better!
embaressed_smile.gif

I can't say mine was not a scam or something questionable since the wording sounded exactly like your email, but I did receive a nice reply today thanking me for my time answering about eating places I liked in our area, somehow I wouldn't see a scammer wasting their time writing a reply so maybe just someone wanting a local non commercial opinion.
JimBoone said:
...somehow I wouldn't see a scammer wasting their time writing a reply so maybe just someone wanting a local non commercial opinion.
Beware. That's exactly what a scammer might do, to gain your trust before trying to get something more from you.

embaressed_smile.gif

JimBoone said:
...somehow I wouldn't see a scammer wasting their time writing a reply so maybe just someone wanting a local non commercial opinion.
Beware. That's exactly what a scammer might do, to gain your trust before trying to get something more from you.
Well don't mind sharing info on the area to promote it to others even if not specifically my potential guests, my computer play time is often early morning while enjoying coffee and waking up before the rest of the family and before guests depart so it occupies time, but personal or financial information I don't share, not very trusting in that manner, but I appreciate the warning.

I have not received an email like this, but if I get a call that is similar, I say something like "Oh, I'm so sorry, I'm checking in a guest right now (or checking out, or making breakfast, etc), but I'd be happy to help you. May I phone you later?" And then oopsy, I forget to call back.

embaressed_smile.gif

Yes, I got the same polite response.
"Hello
Thank you for your email! I appreciate your time very much.
Regards
Meredith Andersen
Still a scammer...Beware

embaressed_smile.gif

"Hello
Regards
Meredith Andersen
Still a scammer...Beware
It could even be an auto reply for that email address. Interesting to find out if you sent back nothing if you'd get the same response.

embaressed_smile.gif

"Hello
Regards
Meredith Andersen
Still a scammer...Beware
It could even be an auto reply for that email address. Interesting to find out if you sent back nothing if you'd get the same response.
Spam, exact wording with different name, don't mind being helpful, but don't care for the BS either and legitimate people at times wonder why we seem less than helpful, they should get the chance of all the questionable stuff we receive.

Back