Do I need to reserve 2 nights?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Caller: "Do I need 2 nights? I'll be checking in at 9 in the morning & checking out before 6 am the next day and we won't be eating breakfast. So, it's really less than 24 hours."
Me: "What you're really asking for is more than an early check-in. You're asking to check-in before other guests would be checking out! We don't book our rooms in terms of hours, but rather guest days." I didn't know what else to say.......
Them: "But you don't have that room booked right now for the night before. And we don't need any kind of breakfast."
Me: "You never know when someone will want that room. A hotel would charge you for 2 nights as well for wanting to check-in BEFORE the normal check-OUT time."
Them: "Ohhhhh.....maybe I can get there the night before then. How late can I check in?"
I don't know if this was a fishing expedition or what. I sent them to book online because of our online special since there is a 2 night discount now. We'll see what happens. Even though we don't have any rooms booked right now, I was not going to budge!!!

HURRAY for you. If you would do that, then you would be angry with yourself. Me, I would rather have my house to myself rather than fuss with one guest who wants it all for nothing. I did not need their money.

Good for you. There are always those that think we small businesses will cave at the thought of a buck. They already know the chains won't do it so why not try to pull it off on that litte B&B, they aren't business minded enough to know the difference. NOT.
The simple way I address this question is - "Our daily rate begins at 3pm and runs until 12noon the following day, if you are interested in arriving before 3, you will be required to reserve the day before." And as far as breakfast or no ... "the rate includes a free breakfast"
Now I do on occasion allow an early check-in, some for an additional cost, some not. It depends on what I have to do to prepare for that early check-in. I never allow an early check in prior to 1pm, but will always allow baggage drop off early, no key. etc.

We have a two night minimum on weekends. If a guest calls and wants just one night, I tell them I will place them on a waiting list and call them. Which I really do.
If they start talking about getting the room cheaper, or putting a cot in the room, or whatever else they come up with, or bringing a one year old child (but she is very quiet), I start giggling.
The statement I always fall back on is: "my insurance doesn't cover that".

Good for you. There are always those that think we small businesses will cave at the thought of a buck. They already know the chains won't do it so why not try to pull it off on that litte B&B, they aren't business minded enough to know the difference. NOT.
The simple way I address this question is - "Our daily rate begins at 3pm and runs until 12noon the following day, if you are interested in arriving before 3, you will be required to reserve the day before." And as far as breakfast or no ... "the rate includes a free breakfast"
Now I do on occasion allow an early check-in, some for an additional cost, some not. It depends on what I have to do to prepare for that early check-in. I never allow an early check in prior to 1pm, but will always allow baggage drop off early, no key. etc..
I did say something to that effect about the daily rate beginning at check-in & running until check-out. The caller asked several times, "So, the check-in time is when?" I also said that breakfast was complimentary.
I've allowed an early check-in a couple of times, too. It was our choice.

Booking didn't come through...gee, I wonder why??
I forgot to say that this caller was complimenting me right & left on our website, the photos, how nice the place looked, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe they expected that I would let them book a one night stay for that? Anywho, maybe one of the other B&Bs or the hotel let them book it that way. It just didn't feel right to me, so I needed to be firm about it.
Like Catlady says, "I went with my gut"! HA!

Booking didn't come through...gee, I wonder why??
I forgot to say that this caller was complimenting me right & left on our website, the photos, how nice the place looked, blah, blah, blah.
Maybe they expected that I would let them book a one night stay for that? Anywho, maybe one of the other B&Bs or the hotel let them book it that way. It just didn't feel right to me, so I needed to be firm about it.
Like Catlady says, "I went with my gut"! HA!.
Much better to let someone else handle that particular problem guest. Anyone who presumes to tell you your business (like Swirt's PITA thread) is bound to be trouble.
What irked me was 'I AM going to check in at 9 AM...'

OK...after talking with my dh we think this call was instigated by one of the other B&Bs to see how we would handle it & how we would answer other questions about where to eat & such. We had a similar call early on which was definitely made by a member of their staff. It was all of the other questions that went along with this call and the origin of the call on caller ID that makes us think this.
We're pretty sure now because I just don't get these kind of unusual calls and most of my bookings are made online. Also, when I answer the phone & give my name most folks here will say, "Well, hello Samster, I'm Suzy Jones & I just had a few other questions before I book." I had to ask this caller for their name at the end of the call & they only gave me a first name. And, when I tell callers that we have lots of info about places to eat (menus, room book info, etc.) and we'll be happy to help them with that when they arrive & even make reservations, they don't press for more details. So, the whole conversation seemed to be odd in retrospect.
Have you ever gotten these kinds of calls from other B&Bs where you are?? If it was them, I'm at a loss to why they just didn't call to ask us!!

A scouting call to see how you would answer a guest? I don't think anyone around here calls us to find out anything because we all know each other. And besides which, if anyone wants my opinion, all they have to do is read this forum.
wink_smile.gif

A scouting call to see how you would answer a guest? I don't think anyone around here calls us to find out anything because we all know each other. And besides which, if anyone wants my opinion, all they have to do is read this forum.
wink_smile.gif
Well, the caller booked today so I guess we were wrong.
But, I'm glad I asked the caller's name because the reservation is all messed up from what they wanted to do yesterday & what's in the notes. I emailed them.
I guess I'm paranoid because of another earlier call that was a scouting call!

wink_smile.gif
But, I'm glad I asked the caller's name because the reservation is all messed up from what they wanted to do yesterday & what's in the notes. I emailed them.
What out..this has PITA written all over it!!!

wink_smile.gif
I don't know I'm hoping that they were just confused about what to do because of when they were arriving here. Hopefully, it will all work out. It was an interesting call to say the least.

Okay for the world to hear/read:
THERE IS NO 9am CHECK IN, ANYWHERE! 9am is CHECKING OUT TIME AT A HOTEL, NOT CHECKING IN TIME!

Okay for the world to hear/read:
THERE IS NO 9am CHECK IN, ANYWHERE! 9am is CHECKING OUT TIME AT A HOTEL, NOT CHECKING IN TIME!.
I hope the world hears you...
In the meantime, we'll see what time these folks show up tomorrow. They're not here tonight yet (they said they might arrive late but would call first) so, I'm going to assume that they'll be arriving tomorrow as planned since there are storms between here & there & the roads are not that great. We shall see.......

wink_smile.gif
For the sake of us relative newbies, could someone please post a glossary of acronyms used in this forum.
From the context of various post, I figured out DH means "Dear Husband" (or is that "Dumb Head") and DW means "Dear Wife" but what does PITA mean?

wink_smile.gif
For the sake of us relative newbies, could someone please post a glossary of acronyms used in this forum.
From the context of various post, I figured out DH means "Dear Husband" (or is that "Dumb Head") and DW means "Dear Wife" but what does PITA mean?
Already done - do a search for 'glossary' or click on this node https://www.innspiring.com/node/130.

wink_smile.gif
Already done - do a search for 'glossary' or click on this node https://www.innspiring.com/node/130.
Thanks. It reminds me of that commercial where the little girl is talking to her mother in phone texting language.
OMG

wink_smile.gif
Thanks. It reminds me of that commercial where the little girl is talking to her mother in phone texting language.
OMG
Feel free to add your own unique expressions...the glossary is always being updated :)

A call I had while in a waiting room, had to call back that evening.
He booked and when I went over the charges, he couldn't figure out why I would charge tax. What I told him was if he went to HI or Embassy Suites, they would charge him tax and that I was required to too.
He sounded like a sales man but told me he worked in IT at a hospital.
What also surprised me was he also booked a friend into the other suite with the friends credit card. So they must be good friends. I have still to make contact with them, but will soon.

Back