Do not Forget Where You Are!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
The drapes in my bathrooms were given to me by one of my daughters who was trying to help me when I did the reno. Last week when her twin and I did a Mother/Daughter at IKEA I found some sheers - 2-panels in a pkg for $5. What the hey? I bought 3 pakgs. I got one set up in the private bath before the reporter & photograpjer came on Friday. Yesterday before my guests arrived, I got them up in the shared bath.
They are very long so I had to move the rods UP. Out comes the ladder and up I go. I am on the third rung of the ladder and have to come down to get something. I go down one rung and FORGET I am on the third when I started down. The second step was a VERY long and hard landing! My knee screamed and I yelped. However, yesterday my knee felt better than it had is a long whole. I expected my knee to give me grief today. Nope - but every muscle in my back from my hips to my ribs id telling me what an IJIT I am!!!
So if using a ladder, REMEMBER WHAT RUNG YOU ARE ON WHEN YOU START DOWN!!!!!

Looked for photos of the previous curtains (drapes really) and thankfully cannot find any. Some of you have seen the old. Well here is the new:
GillumBath.jpg

Private bath and
Shared bath (complete with new bath mat)
SharedBath.jpg

Looks nice. Wish I had a light in the showers like you do.
Did you ice your knee? OUCH!

Looks nice. Wish I had a light in the showers like you do.
Did you ice your knee? OUCH!.
No, the knee felt OK. I took a couple of pain pills last night and will again very soon so they can start working by the time I go to bed.
When the deconstructors did the bathrooms the best thing they did was lights everywhere. However, they neglected to tell me how to get to the lights to change bulbs. When the first burned out it was a VERY interesting (and noisy) time of replacement. While replacing the drapes in the private bath that light burned out. There is one like it in the pass-through to the private bath and in the shared shower. 12 foot ceilings require ladders.
The facing around the light pulls down and tilts - barely enough to get the old bulb (floodlight actually) out and the new one getting in is a please, Lord, let me screw it in straight and not crosswise. Have to remember to buy a couple more - used the last one Friday.

Ouch!
But bathroom looks good!
I pulled a muscle in my back last Thursday and I still can't make the beds without crawling on the floor to do it. Total sympathy from me to you!

Looks beautiful. I too have had back and knee issues. I feel your pain.

Oh sorry about the fall, hope you feel better soon...baths look wonderful

Oh sorry about the fall, hope you feel better soon...baths look wonderful.
Did not fall - mainly because there was no room to fall between the ladder and the (thankfully) closed door. Door had to be closed to reach the rods, otherwise a fall would probably continue down the staircase - direct shot from that door. It was a particularly HARD and jarring landing on my poor left leg while the right knee and hip screamed, "What the hell are you doing to us?"
As I have said before, I lead a charmed life. Pain subsidig today - just at the waist now.

something like this makes out of reach bulbs easier to handle
http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Light-Bulb-Changer-Replacement/dp/B0014RCPFQ.
The problem with these lights is there is a ring around the flood light style bulb flush with the ceiling that has to be pulled down BEFORE you can even get to the bulb. It is a
potty-mouth.gif
ing time to get the ladder out and in place, climb up 3 rungs, lean over and try to pry the
potty-mouth.gif
ed ring down. There is a wire that can be squeeze released to let the ring hang down - but then you have to try to get it back in place while hanging like a monkey with one hand to keep ffrom falling off the ladder. They LOOK wonderful, but I sure would have liked to have been shown how it worked before I had to change the first bulb!

I know all about those recessed cans, we had 24 of them in the house we built. We never had to change a bulb though in 3 years they lasted well, so it shouldn't happen too often.

sorry about your mis-step ... glad you're okay.
how are the sheers hanging? do you have a rod, like a shower curtain rod, mounted to the walls or suspended from the ceiling?

K- It looks so pretty...whimsical and dreamy.
Sorry to hear about your injury....here's praying your healing time is fast!
heart.gif

sorry about your mis-step ... glad you're okay.
how are the sheers hanging? do you have a rod, like a shower curtain rod, mounted to the walls or suspended from the ceiling?.
My daughter had given me a pair of drapes and valance for each shower plus a pair of drapes for the windows. I had to use 3 shower rods per shower. They are all the expandables. Top one for the valance, then one for the sides and the 3rd shower rod for the shower curtain. I have a nylon shower curtain on the inside (I hate to touch plastic) and a vinyl shower curtain on the outside (both over the same shower curtain hooks) so the water stays IN the shower (with luck). I have to go touch up the paint on the walls where the rods were - the paint came with them when I took them down to reposition them.

K- It looks so pretty...whimsical and dreamy.
Sorry to hear about your injury....here's praying your healing time is fast!
heart.gif
Thanks. All is well today except the waist muscles from twisting my body to put up rods. Should be back to normal by tomorrow.

I know all about those recessed cans, we had 24 of them in the house we built. We never had to change a bulb though in 3 years they lasted well, so it shouldn't happen too often..
I have now replaced all 3 that were installed in 2006 - the pass-through from room to bathroom (was the closet originally) and one in each shower. Bought 2 new bulbs today to keep on hand - $3.25 EACH!

I'm glad you're not too badly damaged. Do be careful.
Not only do we need to remember WHERE we are, but WHEN we are. It's little instances such as this that remind me that I'm not 18 anymore. I once got stuck in a tight spot in an attic to some electrical work because my bendy parts weren't as pliable as they once were and I couldn't turn around. There was no one around, so screaming for help wasn't an option. I was able to back out....eventually, but had considered just going straight down through the drywall ceiling. I hire young people to do that stuff now.
There will come a point (all too soon) that we'll have no business on a ladder, behind the wheel of a car etc. I hope we're smart enough to say when.

Back