Do they know there's a package?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Help! I have guests booking for February. I have a package that allows for a free dinner GC if you book 2 nights in Feb. If the person booking doesn't mention the package, but books 2 nights, are they expecting the dinner? How would I know? Would YOU mention that you saw the package on the website when you booked? (I would.)

Make it part of the package language that they must mention it. That way it takes the ambiguity out for you and for them.

If they've fulfilled the requirements of the package, even if unknowingly, give it to them. If they did know about the package, and you don't give it to them, they could think you're trying to cheat them, which sets an ugly tone for their stay. If they did NOT know about it, didn't get it, but find out about it later (maybe overhearing about it at breakfast the next morning), you'll possibly end up with hurt feelings or a potential conflict on your hands.
If they didn't know about it, but you give it to them anyway, that's a pleasant surprise for them and a warm fuzzy for you.
Nasty surprises lead to nasty visits, but pleasant surprises lead to pleasant visits. You decide which you want.
edited to add: If they don't qualify for the package, I would go so far as to tell them about it, and give them the option of meeting the requirements. "You know, if you xxxx, I'll throw in a free dinner for you."

I too think you MUST clarify that package or else others will misunderstand. For this particular couple, I would simply email them and tell them you are offering..this...and since they have already booked, did they want to include it????

Added extra verbiage and will give them the GC even if they don't know. (I'm giving it to the folks who are already booked in for the same reason...why not, they meet the requirements.)
I just hate giving money away...

Why would you not ask them?.
Online booking and I wasn't sure how to bring it up...'Are you booking our package?' Which I suppose I still could do. But, you know I rarely get anyone reading my website so I figure they're not coming for the package so why spend the money? Except that maybe they ARE coming for the package and assume I know that.

Last year I had a call for a room overThanksgiving. I asked if they were booking to room or the Thanksgiving Package. She had no clue about the package so I told her what it was. She booked just the room. About a week later, she called back and made it the package. Yes, it will in your instance cost you extra, but being a proponent of the warm & fuzzie, I cannot see you losing to give them the GC since they meet the conditions. Likewise, if someone were to call to book a 1 nighter (or online book) I would contact the to say, I do not know if you are aware of our Feb Special but if you.....

Ok, I emailed him and asked about the package and whether he wanted it. No.
Now why would you turn down free dinner?

Another reason maybe they are coming in to visit family or for business and have dinner plans.
The reason you want them to mention the package when booking is to see if you advertising is working so it is wise to have it worded to mention when booking. And yes, I agree that anyone not booking the package should be notified of the special with their confirmation thus providing them the opportunity to qualify. This will make them aware of it even if they do not take you up on it - better to have offered than the word get out to them after they arrive.
BTW - Nice marketing idea. Keep us up to speed on how many bite with this one.

Another reason maybe they are coming in to visit family or for business and have dinner plans.
The reason you want them to mention the package when booking is to see if you advertising is working so it is wise to have it worded to mention when booking. And yes, I agree that anyone not booking the package should be notified of the special with their confirmation thus providing them the opportunity to qualify. This will make them aware of it even if they do not take you up on it - better to have offered than the word get out to them after they arrive.
BTW - Nice marketing idea. Keep us up to speed on how many bite with this one..
Copperhead said:
BTW - Nice marketing idea. Keep us up to speed on how many bite with this one.
I have to put it on more directory listings. Seriously, no one reads the packages page of the website. I have the world's shortest attention span guests.
I will let you know, tho, how it goes. I'll be sending it out in an email next month. Haven't decided who gets this yet as I'll be giving away the farm if the repeats are on the email list.
This will be easier on me...no flowers to die and no chocolates to have to eat...if guests cancel, I use the GC's for another pkg at a later date. If I could get other restaurants to cut me some slack, I'd have a bigger repertoire to offer.

BTW - Nice marketing idea. Keep us up to speed on how many bite with this one..
Copperhead said:
From what I can gather it's a gift of some sort.

Back