do they really work?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
For awhile now, i have been going back & forth on whether i should try those Green bags for fruit & veggies. you know, those ones you see on infomercials & at the grocery store that are supposed to prolong the life of fruits, veggies, etc.
I'm hesitant to buy them because i am afraid they will not work & i will have wasted $$. But, if they really work, i'd really like to have some. So my question is, has anyone tried them & if so, what were your results? thanks

didn't seem to work for us too much, but I got the feeling if you were more in to it, they would. Also think they might have worked for certain things better than others. Also saw those containers at Costco that were supposed to keep food fresh longer. Decided I am too lazy to make them pay off. Same reason I never bought the seal a meal- of course that was partly because you are on the hook for life for the VERY expensive bags- kind of like the Brita pitchers- Oops- better stop- its a long list of stuff they sell us like that

Our daughter sent us some and DH seems pleased with them. He uses them for HIS veggies.
I bought one of those vacuum sealers in 2001. Thought I had wasted my money the first year. Since then I have learned how to really use it. The bags are reuseable - IF you make them a bit large to start with. We wash them and bleach rinse and reuse until they are too small to seal again. I use them a lot for my manicotti. I make up a large batch and seal them in bags of 2 or 4. the first dinner pays the expenses of the meals and the rest of them are profit. I usually make 20 manicottis at a rime. A guest was once heard describing it to another guest as a manicotti log because it was so large. I do not stint an serving size. i have probably used 3 boxes of the rolls of bags since June 2001 because we reuse.

I have used them for mainly bananas but I felt they did not work well. It was also a little work (at least for the bananas) as it builds up condensation inside and you must take the bananas out, wipe out the water then replace. Here is was on a daily basis, Do not know if this is due to the high humidity area in which we live or if this is common.
I have never given them a chance in the fridge. Maybe I will. - It is funny but 2 of our local grocery stores have green tinting to the produce bags now. There is wording on them, but I have yet to take the time to read...

They have worked really well for strawberries for us, kept in the produce drawer of the fridge. Also, carrots and celery seem to keep FOREVER in them (although they stay fresh pretty well on their own as well). At $10 for about 10 bags (you can reuse them 2-3 times) it seemed a good deal for us.

Can someone tell me how they work?
Tell me best place to buy them now - if they are not on the infomercial anymore?
Good topic, I had wondered as well!

Tell me best place to buy them now - if they are not on the infomercial anymore?
Good topic, I had wondered as well!.
I bought our green bags at Wal Mart. We were skeptical..but...they keep our bananas, strawberries, peppers, any produce we put into them for a much longer time. We have been very pleased with them and they can be reused. Only about $10.

I bought our green bags at Wal Mart. We were skeptical..but...they keep our bananas, strawberries, peppers, any produce we put into them for a much longer time. We have been very pleased with them and they can be reused. Only about $10.
catlady said:
Sorry to be like this - where at walmart, are they sold near the produce? I am about to head over there...

thanks everyone, for your feedback. i think i may invest in some this week. I have just been hesitant to buy because you just never know if an item is of real or is just hype.
i had bought those clothing/storage bags(years ago) that you use your vacuum to suck the air out and was very disappointed. they worked initially, but withinn a couple of days the air had seeped back in, they did not seam to work at all. i had tried a coulpe different brands so i don't think i just got a "bad" batch.

I found ours in the produce section of our local grocery store (and it's a small store, I was actually surprised that they have them).
I don't know the truly technical details of how they work, JBJ, but the gist is that the bags are made of a substance that absorbs the ethylene that produce releases as it ripens...taking away the ethylene prevents the food from ripening/spoiling as fast. It says it is chemical free so I don't know what the substance is that the bags are made of. It's also supposed to reduce humidity, thereby reducing mold/fungus as well.

catlady said:
Sorry to be like this - where at walmart, are they sold near the produce? I am about to head over there...
I saw some in the produce section..but they are also located in that little "speciality area" near the checkout express lane.. iN ours it is near the magazines / cigarette area. Here is a site with comments about them: http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/07/29/do-debbie-meyer-and-evert-fresh-green-bags-work.htm#gB3

I found ours in the produce section of our local grocery store (and it's a small store, I was actually surprised that they have them).
I don't know the truly technical details of how they work, JBJ, but the gist is that the bags are made of a substance that absorbs the ethylene that produce releases as it ripens...taking away the ethylene prevents the food from ripening/spoiling as fast. It says it is chemical free so I don't know what the substance is that the bags are made of. It's also supposed to reduce humidity, thereby reducing mold/fungus as well..
Some sort of silica, maybe? Like those little packages you find in food products and shoe boxes. The ones that say, 'Not edible, do not eat.'

Back