Do they think we can't hear them?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity, what IS for breakfast tomorrow?.
Bacon & eggs. Very simple. It's usually a very welcome breakfast when someone has been B&B'ing for a week!
Lot of guests like the bacon and eggs, especially with biscuits and gravy, and maybe cheesy grits....
Mtatoc said:
Lot of guests like the bacon and eggs, especially with biscuits and gravy, and maybe cheesy grits....
Yeah, like that biscuits and gravy & grits thing would go over here. No one expects a Yankee to put that on the table! I'd insult so many guests' mommas if I did that it wouldn't be funny.
Dry toast. And jam if you say please.
That is just sad....

Bacon & eggs. Very simple. It's usually a very welcome breakfast when someone has been B&B'ing for a week!
bacon and eggs (to order), some light hash brown potatoes (microwave 3 min/lb before you grate, they absorb less oil), home made bread as toast, fruit and a sweet (blueberry muffin) - one of our most popular breakfasts!

Mtatoc said:
Yeah, like that biscuits and gravy & grits thing would go over here. No one expects a Yankee to put that on the table! I'd insult so many guests' mommas if I did that it wouldn't be funny.
Dry toast. And jam if you say please.
Hey, a friend of mine just sent me a link to a book on Amazon because she thought I'd be interested...it was the one with your yummy blueberry pancakes on the cover! I gave you a photo credit!!!

We have a group of 12 here and lo and behold made scrumtious blueberry ricotta pancakes yesterday-half of them ate it and half left alot on their plate. Today we thought-ok we will do a egg bake-its delicious with eggs and three types cheeses it melts in your mouth-a little more than half ate it and most left stuff on their plate-I DONT GET IT! if you dont want breakfast TELL US the NIGHT BEFORE!
It just makes me so GRRRRRRRR when they say "Oh I'm good!?!?" and we have to either put in freezer or end up throwing it out....told hubbie tomorrow it will be french toast individually done so that we can do it as they want it...

We have a group of 12 here and lo and behold made scrumtious blueberry ricotta pancakes yesterday-half of them ate it and half left alot on their plate. Today we thought-ok we will do a egg bake-its delicious with eggs and three types cheeses it melts in your mouth-a little more than half ate it and most left stuff on their plate-I DONT GET IT! if you dont want breakfast TELL US the NIGHT BEFORE!
It just makes me so GRRRRRRRR when they say "Oh I'm good!?!?" and we have to either put in freezer or end up throwing it out....told hubbie tomorrow it will be french toast individually done so that we can do it as they want it....
Why don't you just ask them what they want for breakfast tomorrow and save yourself some food. Or, if they want any breakfast at all. I wouldn't hesitate to ask them.

My chef is gone. Thanks for the pep talk everyone. I just did my usual and they ate more than the day before. They seemed to have a great time and said they wanted to refer a friend, so it couldn't have been that bad!
Oh, it turns out that his specialty is molecular gastronomy. Geez...he should just be a chemist!

It just makes me so GRRRRRRRR when they say "Oh I'm good!?!?" and we have to either put in freezer or end up throwing it out....told hubbie tomorrow it will be french toast individually done so that we can do it as they want it....
I simply can't imagine having a group of 12 people who will all LOVE and FINISH what's put in front of them. Just won't happen.
Around here, we give options for breakfast so that those who love eggy dishes have something to choose from and those who like bready breakfasts will having something to choose from. I personally don't LIKE French Toast and would never order it in a restaurant....same for pancakes no matter how fancy you make them.
I'm not suggesting everyone do choices. Not at all. It works for us, but you do what works for you. But I think you just have to "let it go" when someone doesn't rave about their breakfast or finish it. Maybe they're on a diet. Maybe they just don't like ricotta, or blueberries, or pancakes. Maybe they're just not breakfast people. I mean, of course, I try to monitor to make sure they're okay with everything...and I have asked people if they just don't care for something and is there something else I can get you?
For myself, I try real hard not to get upset when I bring back plates that still have some food on them. I figure it they HAD eaten it all, I wouldn't feel like it had been wasted, so why do I feel like it's wasted when I throw it out?

I simply can't imagine having a group of 12 people who will all LOVE and FINISH what's put in front of them. Just won't happen.
Around here, we give options for breakfast so that those who love eggy dishes have something to choose from and those who like bready breakfasts will having something to choose from. I personally don't LIKE French Toast and would never order it in a restaurant....same for pancakes no matter how fancy you make them.
I'm not suggesting everyone do choices. Not at all. It works for us, but you do what works for you. But I think you just have to "let it go" when someone doesn't rave about their breakfast or finish it. Maybe they're on a diet. Maybe they just don't like ricotta, or blueberries, or pancakes. Maybe they're just not breakfast people. I mean, of course, I try to monitor to make sure they're okay with everything...and I have asked people if they just don't care for something and is there something else I can get you?
For myself, I try real hard not to get upset when I bring back plates that still have some food on them. I figure it they HAD eaten it all, I wouldn't feel like it had been wasted, so why do I feel like it's wasted when I throw it out?
We had a group this morning who eagerly ordered their breakfasts complete with sausage and biscuits and 'everything' in the omelet. I was monitoring the plates to see if I could clear and it looked like they were done but they'd hardly touched a thing. When I asked if I could clear I was told they were all sick from what they ate last night.
So, why, pray tell order the full breakfast if you knew you were sick??? I could have made dry toast for everyone to settle their stomachs!

So, why, pray tell order the full breakfast if you knew you were sick???
Because they paid for it, gotta get everything they paid for. - You know the type, the ones that take every shampoo, soap, tea or coffee pod they can get their hands on.

It's been a couple weeks since my pescatarian newly married to the chef couple left, and they just did a raving review on TA! I never even mentioned TA to them. The first thing she mentioned in the review was the the wonderful breakfasts. Sheesh, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I read that. Their food was hardly touched each morning!
The more I think I learn about people, the less I know.
poke.gif

It's been a couple weeks since my pescatarian newly married to the chef couple left, and they just did a raving review on TA! I never even mentioned TA to them. The first thing she mentioned in the review was the the wonderful breakfasts. Sheesh, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I read that. Their food was hardly touched each morning!
poke.gif
Some foodies, I think, sample more than eat. Because they know they're going other places to try things. Maybe that's what happened. Congratulations on the stellar review!

Part of the housekeeping questions upon check-in covers just this-hot or cold, and the morning schedule. This allows me the option of dishes and feels out the time that the customers have prior to their dailly activities. I have found this to be a win win at our inn.

" I figure it they HAD eaten it all, I wouldn't feel like it had been wasted, so why do I feel like it's wasted when I throw it out? "
Well, couple here for 3 days and they had a nice dog. On day three they ask if there is a non-pork alternative breakfast meat, as they do not eat pork. I think, what about the delicious pork sausages on day one and the delicious bacon on day two? That's right, the dog. Guy has a baggie and he nabbed his leftovers for dog treats (dog not allowed in DR, of course). I was a little put off, but then, as IB says, I served it, so be it. Maybe we'll get a good TA from the pooch.

poke.gif
Some foodies, I think, sample more than eat. Because they know they're going other places to try things. Maybe that's what happened. Congratulations on the stellar review!
I agree with your comment, InnBloom, about foodies. There are also folks who are just trying to cut down in general on what they eat! Most places serve too much food these days.

poke.gif
I agree with your comment, InnBloom, about foodies. There are also folks who are just trying to cut down in general on what they eat! Most places serve too much food these days.
Samster said:
We have a review that says that we serve "light". In fact, they suggested that the whole city served "light" and "bland" food.

poke.gif
Samster said:
We have a review that says that we serve "light". In fact, they suggested that the whole city served "light" and "bland" food.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Samster said:
We had some guests make those comments, too. 'Skimpy breakfasts...' I can't keep up. Some guests say it't too much, some not enough and some seem very happy. It is what it is.

poke.gif
Samster said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Samster said:
We had some guests make those comments, too. 'Skimpy breakfasts...' I can't keep up. Some guests say it't too much, some not enough and some seem very happy. It is what it is.
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Samster said:
tshirt idea for innkeepers:
Jack Sprat could eat no fat. His wife could eat no lean. And so between them both, you see,: They licked the platter clean.

poke.gif
Samster said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Samster said:
That is why I serve Family Style - each can take as much or as little as they want with there being less waste. On a plate I have to throw it away, in the seving dish it can go straight to the "garbage disposal".

poke.gif
Samster said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Samster said:
That is why I serve Family Style - each can take as much or as little as they want with there being less waste. On a plate I have to throw it away, in the seving dish it can go straight to the "garbage disposal".
gillumhouse said:
Okay I say, the theory is good, but the reality does not always check. Boofay style/family style are notorious for people taking food then not eating it. This is the reason long ago whenever we had potlucks we (me) created "The kids table" where we put the kiddie food so they wouldn't rampage the adult "sun dried tomato pasta" and toss them in the bin after not eating it.
BTW that "kiddie" table didn't last, no matter where I go and as often as I suggest, the KIDS MUST COME FIRST, allow them to rape the food table and spit it all out and throw it all away and waste $ and we adults who worked to buy it/make it in a hot kitchen can just make due with whatever scraps they allow us.
(Not my kids, as you know, but plenty of others)
BRUSSEL SPROUTS ALL ROUND!
cheers.gif

poke.gif
Samster said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Samster said:
Just serve what you think is appropriate and let folks decide if they want to clean their plates or not. There's no predicting....

Back