Do we look for the positive or the negative?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As discussed before, coming too often to the forum makes me impatient and ill-tempered. I grumble under my breath when cleaning, and roll my eyes at knocks on my door...etc.
On the other hand, when I stay away from the forum, I consistently have GREAT guests, very rarely do they give me anything to complain about. When I say that here, I'm usually told that I have rose colored glasses on, or am trying to make this job seem better than it is, or that I'm too small to get the PITA's that some others get.
Can't win for losing...come to vent and converse with those sharing my daily experiences, and sometimes get sucked down into a dark hole.

Of course, it's always better when it's in the rear-view mirror to remember the best part of the experience you're leaving behind. Who wouldn't do that? Why would I dwell on the marsh-y bay smell of low tide at a recent seashore vacation when I can concentrate my memories on the beautiful sunset I watched from the deck?
Being in the thick of things, though, you talk about what's most on your plate at the moment and how to make things the best they can be. If I have a houseful of happy guests who compliment me and my inn, I don't really need to vent or collect advice. Which is what happens when you vent, as JB pointed out. I'm lucky to have a spouse to vent to, most times. Not everybody does, and the forum is open around-the-clock.
I hope people like Sunshine don't feel like they can't come here for venting or for advice - I think that's the point of our (the forum) existence..
muirford said:
I hope people like Sunshine don't feel like they can't come here for venting or for advice - I think that's the point of our (the forum) existence.
Yeah... I know I can....
I just had my FIRST really bad guest.... that was all. It really took the wind out of our sails... (both my DH and I).

Of course, it's always better when it's in the rear-view mirror to remember the best part of the experience you're leaving behind. Who wouldn't do that? Why would I dwell on the marsh-y bay smell of low tide at a recent seashore vacation when I can concentrate my memories on the beautiful sunset I watched from the deck?
Being in the thick of things, though, you talk about what's most on your plate at the moment and how to make things the best they can be. If I have a houseful of happy guests who compliment me and my inn, I don't really need to vent or collect advice. Which is what happens when you vent, as JB pointed out. I'm lucky to have a spouse to vent to, most times. Not everybody does, and the forum is open around-the-clock.
I hope people like Sunshine don't feel like they can't come here for venting or for advice - I think that's the point of our (the forum) existence..
muirford said:
I hope people like Sunshine don't feel like they can't come here for venting or for advice - I think that's the point of our (the forum) existence.
Yeah... I know I can....
I just had my FIRST really bad guest.... that was all. It really took the wind out of our sails... (both my DH and I).
Sunshine said:
Yeah... I know I can....
hug.jpg

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Sorry - the first ones are the worst. For what it's worth, we had our worst experience the very first weekend we were open. Nothing else has been that bad since! Now we can laugh about it, but we felt like we had made the biggest mistake of our lives after our very first breakfast service. Here's hoping it will be smooth(er) sailing for you from here on out.

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Sorry - the first ones are the worst. For what it's worth, we had our worst experience the very first weekend we were open. Nothing else has been that bad since! Now we can laugh about it, but we felt like we had made the biggest mistake of our lives after our very first breakfast service. Here's hoping it will be smooth(er) sailing for you from here on out.
You know, every new bad experience is just as bad as the first one with the exception that we don't fret over it quite as long any more.
This is not horrific, but it's a simple example...the guy who waved his coffee cup at me from his table and yelled, 'Miss, Miss, coffee!' That one was a real slap in the face as far as us realizing how SOME guests perceived us. The other day, a similar lack of respect by a guy who corrected me on how I should address him. I should use the 'formal' greeting. And I replied back, 'Why? I'm older than you are, YOU should be using formal speech with ME.'
His take was I was the 'employee' or the 'servant'. My take was 'buzz off buddy'.

Very helpful thought to me today - these people are the source of my livelihood and I should be thankful. I was quite grumpitty after finding drink glasses on my wood antiques, sitting right next to the piles of coasters in two different rooms! Not to mention the lady who gave me every towel in the room to wash after just one night and she wiped her mouth on my towels not on a napkin, leaving permanent mustard stains. There goes another nice towel. Everybody left their fans and air on plus a few lights while gone for hours too. You can see, it's kind of getting to me right now. I'll go bake some fresh cookies, put on a fresh face and a smile now and be thankful they are here.

Very helpful thought to me today - these people are the source of my livelihood and I should be thankful. I was quite grumpitty after finding drink glasses on my wood antiques, sitting right next to the piles of coasters in two different rooms! Not to mention the lady who gave me every towel in the room to wash after just one night and she wiped her mouth on my towels not on a napkin, leaving permanent mustard stains. There goes another nice towel. Everybody left their fans and air on plus a few lights while gone for hours too. You can see, it's kind of getting to me right now. I'll go bake some fresh cookies, put on a fresh face and a smile now and be thankful they are here..
Pollyanna said:
Very helpful thought to me today - these people are the source of my livelihood and I should be thankful. I was quite grumpitty after finding drink glasses on my wood antiques, sitting right next to the piles of coasters in two different rooms! Not to mention the lady who gave me every towel in the room to wash after just one night and she wiped her mouth on my towels not on a napkin, leaving permanent mustard stains. There goes another nice towel. Everybody left their fans and air on plus a few lights while gone for hours too. You can see, it's kind of getting to me right now. I'll go bake some fresh cookies, put on a fresh face and a smile now and be thankful they are here.
I used to work at a corporation where the mgmt team used to tell us we should be thankful we had work instead of grousing about benefits, mandatory 6-day work weeks, etc. Just because that job paid the bills didn't mean I had to like being treated that way. Ditto here. Yes, these people pay my bills, but I don't have to take being personally treated like crap or having my home treated that way AND keep my mouth shut about it, too. That's why we don't work for corporations any longer. Well, technically I do, but it's my name on the letterhead.
I should also say, 'Ditto the ex husband.' He treated me like crap and even tho he paid the bills, I didn't have to smile about it and be thankful someone was taking care of me.

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
You know, every new bad experience is just as bad as the first one with the exception that we don't fret over it quite as long any more.
This is not horrific, but it's a simple example...the guy who waved his coffee cup at me from his table and yelled, 'Miss, Miss, coffee!' That one was a real slap in the face as far as us realizing how SOME guests perceived us. The other day, a similar lack of respect by a guy who corrected me on how I should address him. I should use the 'formal' greeting. And I replied back, 'Why? I'm older than you are, YOU should be using formal speech with ME.'
His take was I was the 'employee' or the 'servant'. My take was 'buzz off buddy'.
You made me chuckle! Thanks, I needed that!
The guests I was talking about right of the bat was very pretentious! First day went ok.That evening they asked how they get back in and we told them, the doors get locked at 11:30pm. If you are going to be later, call us and we'll be sure they're open for you. No Problem... they were back way before that. Second day, went ok. Second night again... they asked how to get back in. I repeated the same answer as before. Again they were back before we locked up (10PM), BUT this time they came in slamming doors, and yelling to each other (not AT each other, but yelling to each other) and laughing really loud. Sounded like there were several people with them. Ususally we greet each as they come in, but this time we missed them and they were at the top of the stairs already (they were deliberately hurrying). I'm quite certian they had been drinking and thought they could continue their little party when they got back in their room. When it became apparent they were not going to quiet down and other guests were sleeping already I went up and reminded them quiet time was at 10pm (it was after 10:45). They were quiet after that. Not so bad huh? keep reading....
Whew!!! You'd da thought we did something terrible! This morning they wouldn't speak to us. We served breakfast and they would't talk to us. They spoke to the other guests though (thank goodness). After breakfast they left (YAY). Also when I went to clean, there was makeup, mascara and liner ALL OVER the wash rags and towels and some kind of pink stuff. There was also tomato sauce all over a silk table covering and it all looked deliberate! It was a BIG MESS! I go read the guest book because I knew she wrote something terrible. Yep! She was "appalled" at having hospitality 'forced' on her by being told to quiet down (abide by the rules). She said she would not be back... Good! We don't want them back!
Some people just simply don't think the rules apply to them!!! I really want to send her an email and say perhaps next time they should stay at a motel # which is apparently what they seem accustomed too! !!! GRRRRRRR
But all my other guests are GREAT!!!

And what ever happened to good ole decency, manners, and consideration?!!! I would never treat people or their property they way some people do!
I have even tried to think of a sweet, and subtle way of making a little sign that explains this is "our home" and we "love sharing history with you that you can experience" "in order to help make this a pleasant experience for everyone please be considerate of the following:........... etc...."
I guess some people need it spelled out for them.

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Morticia said:
I don't fret so long over the things I fret about, but I have to say that I don't fret about nearly as many of the things that I used to fret about. Say that three times fast.
Although I feel empathy for my colleagues when I read the forum, there's no correlation as to how I view my own guests. I may be mad FOR Sunshine that her guests are treating her badly, but I don't find myself looking for all the nits in my own guests because of it. But that's just me - I am an introvert in the Myers-Briggs definition; I get my energy from my own head.

I had one lady get my back up in a similar way my parents were here helping out as we had a full house and a lady came up to me and said she would like to book for the same event next year. I said I am very sorry as we are already full for those dates (one of the other guests had booked the whole place for 2 nights this lady only wanted one so I didn't really want her anyway. My parents had said that she would have to speak to me) and she said and this really got my fur stood up "Oh Ive spoken to the owner" I replied, "No you havn't because you havn't spoken to me" Then she said I should lie to the other lady and tell her we only have 11 rooms not 12 so she could have the other. I thought what have you said that would possibly convince me to help you? you have been rude and condisending I totally don't want you now!!!
I think because I am younger people cannot comprehend that I could be the owner but that doubly hacks me off it doesn't pay to make assumptions especially if you are trying to convince me to help you. I can't stand creepers but rude people get given the phone number of places I wouldn't normally send people as punishment! like nextdoor!

As discussed before, coming too often to the forum makes me impatient and ill-tempered. I grumble under my breath when cleaning, and roll my eyes at knocks on my door...etc.
On the other hand, when I stay away from the forum, I consistently have GREAT guests, very rarely do they give me anything to complain about. When I say that here, I'm usually told that I have rose colored glasses on, or am trying to make this job seem better than it is, or that I'm too small to get the PITA's that some others get.
Can't win for losing...come to vent and converse with those sharing my daily experiences, and sometimes get sucked down into a dark hole..
LB, I guess that you're getting ready to look in the rear-view mirror as I am already apparently. So, I'm bowing out of this thread that I started which has evolved into something that I really didn't think it would.

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
The guests I was talking about right of the bat was very pretentious! First day went ok.That evening they asked how they get back in and we told them, the doors get locked at 11:30pm. If you are going to be later, call us and we'll be sure they're open for you. No Problem... they were back way before that. Second day, went ok. Second night again... they asked how to get back in. I repeated the same answer as before. Again they were back before we locked up (10PM), BUT this time they came in slamming doors, and yelling to each other (not AT each other, but yelling to each other) and laughing really loud. Sounded like there were several people with them. Ususally we greet each as they come in, but this time we missed them and they were at the top of the stairs already (they were deliberately hurrying). I'm quite certian they had been drinking and thought they could continue their little party when they got back in their room. When it became apparent they were not going to quiet down and other guests were sleeping already I went up and reminded them quiet time was at 10pm (it was after 10:45). They were quiet after that. Not so bad huh? keep reading....
Whew!!! You'd da thought we did something terrible! This morning they wouldn't speak to us. We served breakfast and they would't talk to us. They spoke to the other guests though (thank goodness). After breakfast they left (YAY). Also when I went to clean, there was makeup, mascara and liner ALL OVER the wash rags and towels and some kind of pink stuff. There was also tomato sauce all over a silk table covering and it all looked deliberate! It was a BIG MESS! I go read the guest book because I knew she wrote something terrible. Yep! She was "appalled" at having hospitality 'forced' on her by being told to quiet down (abide by the rules). She said she would not be back... Good! We don't want them back!
Some people just simply don't think the rules apply to them!!! I really want to send her an email and say perhaps next time they should stay at a motel # which is apparently what they seem accustomed too! !!! GRRRRRRR
Sunshine said:
I really want to send her an email and say perhaps next time they should stay at a motel # which is apparently what they seem accustomed too! !!! GRRRRRRR
Don't get into it. They know they did wrong which is why they treated you poorly. Very juvenile behavior on their part giving you the silent treatment. Did they think no one else noticed that? They snubbed you, but it reflects more on them than it does on you.
Eventually, life will give them a little bite to remind them they are not the only people in the universe.

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Morticia said:
The other day, a similar lack of respect by a guy who corrected me on how I should address him. I should use the 'formal' greeting. And I replied back, 'Why? I'm older than you are, YOU should be using formal speech with ME.'
Oh my gosh, are you serious?? I can't even imagine how I would have responded to that. What on earth did he want you to say? He wanted you to call him "Mr." instead of his first name, or....?

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Sunshine said:
Yes, no good will come of continuing to engage them. Think of the experience this way: if they had continued to be loud and bothered all your other guests, you would have lost ALL of them as future guests. At the point you need to talk to them, you've probably already decided that you don't want that couple back. There's no sense in allowing everyone else to be disturbed all night, because then it's a sure thing that NONE of them will ever return. You cut your losses.

Can't win for losing...come to vent and converse with those sharing my daily experiences, and sometimes get sucked down into a dark hole..
LB, I guess that you're getting ready to look in the rear-view mirror as I am already apparently. So, I'm bowing out of this thread that I started which has evolved into something that I really didn't think it would.
Samster said:
Not at all, Samster! I enjoy what I do, and don't know what else I would do after Innkeeping. My point is that negativity breeds more negativity, whereas staying away from (or out of the negativity) leads to positivity. And, considering this forum makes up a part of our social lives, of course the energy being expressed here rubs off on us...good or bad. When I hear a story about a fellow innkeeper being put-upon or treated badly, I think "people can be so rude (or messy, or inconsiderate), and so that's what I see after hearing stories like that....call it seeing guests through smoke-colored glasses, maybe. On the other hand, when I concentrate on saying things like "what great guests we get" or "another weekend of wonderful guests", all is seen in rosy hues again.

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Sunshine said:
Yes, no good will come of continuing to engage them. Think of the experience this way: if they had continued to be loud and bothered all your other guests, you would have lost ALL of them as future guests. At the point you need to talk to them, you've probably already decided that you don't want that couple back. There's no sense in allowing everyone else to be disturbed all night, because then it's a sure thing that NONE of them will ever return. You cut your losses.
no, I would never contact them. I do know better. and you are right they were very inmature.

I had one lady get my back up in a similar way my parents were here helping out as we had a full house and a lady came up to me and said she would like to book for the same event next year. I said I am very sorry as we are already full for those dates (one of the other guests had booked the whole place for 2 nights this lady only wanted one so I didn't really want her anyway. My parents had said that she would have to speak to me) and she said and this really got my fur stood up "Oh Ive spoken to the owner" I replied, "No you havn't because you havn't spoken to me" Then she said I should lie to the other lady and tell her we only have 11 rooms not 12 so she could have the other. I thought what have you said that would possibly convince me to help you? you have been rude and condisending I totally don't want you now!!!
I think because I am younger people cannot comprehend that I could be the owner but that doubly hacks me off it doesn't pay to make assumptions especially if you are trying to convince me to help you. I can't stand creepers but rude people get given the phone number of places I wouldn't normally send people as punishment! like nextdoor!.
I can't stand creepers but rude people get given the phone number of places I wouldn't normally send people as punishment! like nextdoor!
LOL!
teeth_smile.gif

muirford said:
Yeah... I know I can....
Sunshine said:
Yeah... I know I can....
hug.jpg

Morticia said:
Sunshine said:
Yeah... I know I can....
hug.jpg
Is this not too cute!

Back