Do we really need desks in hotel rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We didn't have any in our guest rooms and we have put in two small vanity tables in two rooms, added one in one room but dress it up as a vanity and put in a fold down table in another. But in general, we found that only a small percentage of people actually use them. So we make them part of the landscape instead of a real desk.

i love a desk.
i'm not comfortable sitting on a bed or lying on a bed looking at my tablet or writing or sitting in a chair holding a tablet or pad of paper on my lap. so i'm happy when there's a place with a hard surface to sit at and write or work or surf.

I always use a desk in hotel rooms. I travel with a small laptop computer and can't imagine getting much done with it if I had to use it on my lap.
And I definitely wouldn't prefer to work (by work, I mean writing e-mails, doing Facebook stuff, Innspiring stuff, checking reservations,etc.) in a public place like a coffee shop because I'm always pulling up my web-based password/credit card wallet to get web passwords and other stuff I don't want to memorize, and I don't want to have to worry about who's peeking over my shoulder.
Agreed about room phones. Never use one except to call the front desk if I have a question.

I always use a desk in hotel rooms. I travel with a small laptop computer and can't imagine getting much done with it if I had to use it on my lap.
And I definitely wouldn't prefer to work (by work, I mean writing e-mails, doing Facebook stuff, Innspiring stuff, checking reservations,etc.) in a public place like a coffee shop because I'm always pulling up my web-based password/credit card wallet to get web passwords and other stuff I don't want to memorize, and I don't want to have to worry about who's peeking over my shoulder.
Agreed about room phones. Never use one except to call the front desk if I have a question..
I gave up password remembering for https://lastpass.com/ and now all I have to remember is one single (extremely long) password. I couldn't guess my facebook password if I wanted to. (And with Pro you can go to a key protection system, so just the password for the central lastpass isn't enough).

I use Mememgo Wallet because it was a highly rated password manager when I got my first iPhone. It keeps the version on my iPhone in sync with the version at their secure website so I can log on and add, remove, and check passwords, web addresses, etc. from anywhere.
It costs $5 and I have mine set to require entering two passwords to get in. But I'm not sure how much longer passwords will be the way to go with secure data. The bad guys are getting too sophisticated in how they steal info. We'll probably eventually have to give a finger print and a blood sample to get access to our own secure info.

I have a vintage/antique desk for sale...I just took these images... Spinet Desk made by HP Robertson Jamestown, NY early 1900's.
We need to get this out of the guest room, and having to refinish it due to 1) laying a hot iron on it and walking away, 2) water marks, etc. So we would love to sell it and move it into a home with less wear and tear and neglectful guests.
Click here for craigslist listing.

I have a vintage/antique desk for sale...I just took these images... Spinet Desk made by HP Robertson Jamestown, NY early 1900's.
We need to get this out of the guest room, and having to refinish it due to 1) laying a hot iron on it and walking away, 2) water marks, etc. So we would love to sell it and move it into a home with less wear and tear and neglectful guests.
Click here for craigslist listing..
Joey Bloggs said:
Click here for craigslist listing.
why are people so disrespectful of such beautiful furnishings?!

I think that if you don't have biz guests all the time, you really don't need a desk. Much better to have some kind of small table and a couple of chairs for people to share a cup of coffee or glass of wine...

Sorry to sidetrack but just was reading this.
EmptyNest said:
Sorry to sidetrack but just was reading this
Those last two are infuriating! Completely dishonest.
Arkansawyer said:
EmptyNest said:
And someone just pulled it on us. Call 2 days before rez and move to next week; call next day and cancel. So, they think they scored a fake-out on us. Try to make a reservation again and there won't be any rooms.

EmptyNest said:
Arkansawyer said:
EmptyNest said:
And someone just pulled it on us. Call 2 days before rez and move to next week; call next day and cancel. So, they think they scored a fake-out on us. Try to make a reservation again and there won't be any rooms.
Take your choice of possible future policies:
Harsh Policy
Reservations cannot be moved. We will gladly cancel your reservation and you can make a new reservation online.
Forgiving Policy
Since a penalty will apply, we will process the penalty and then gladly move your reservation and apply the penalty as credit on your moved reservation. Please note that the credit is non-refundable and non-movable after this.
I've heard a few people mention this being done to them by one of the OTAs (Expe...) and I'm very inflexible on this when it comes to third-party reservations.

EmptyNest said:
Arkansawyer said:
EmptyNest said:
Harsh Policy
Reservations cannot be moved. We will gladly cancel your reservation and you can make a new reservation online.
Forgiving Policy
Since a penalty will apply, we will process the penalty and then gladly move your reservation and apply the penalty as credit on your moved reservation. Please note that the credit is non-refundable and non-movable after this.
I've heard a few people mention this being done to them by one of the OTAs (Expe...) and I'm very inflexible on this when it comes to third-party reservations.
How about- We will happily move your reservation to a later date but the original cancellation date is still in effect.

EmptyNest said:
Arkansawyer said:
EmptyNest said:
Harsh Policy
Forgiving Policy
How about- We will happily move your reservation to a later date but the original cancellation date is still in effect.
You can. Problem is when you move it, they can claim that they didn't agree to the terms and conditions. I think it's easier to say you are going to charge it, as per the original agreement. And if they want to make another reservation... that's also subject to the same cancellation rules.

Moving a reservation after the cancelation deadline is almost as bad as canceling. You are still unlikely to re-book the room on such short notice.
Once the original deadline is past, there is no canceling. If you move to another day, it's still under the original agreement. Only options are to show up on the new day and pay, or don't show and pay under terms of the original booking's cancelation policy.

Back