Do you accept kids?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I love this question, as it is always a TRICK QUESTION from the asker...
BTW "the kid" is 16. So yes, could be a kid as they cannot stay here on their own at 16, but at 16 the kid pretty much takes up space and eats more than an adult, so they are not a "kids stay free" type kid.

"Why? Are you giving one away?".
No thanks....on either account.
teeth_smile.gif

We take them on condition they leave with them what brought them. I served my sentence!

Yes, 3+ and older at full charge- nobody is staying at our place for free!

Yes, 3+ and older at full charge- nobody is staying at our place for free!.
April said:
We had a walk-in last night with an 8 yo in tow. Because we'd been having no luck at all with walk-ins yesterday I decided to see how bad things were. Told the guy it was $99/night for 3 people, full breakfast. He asked for a discount. Our price for 3 in that room is $190. They left. I'm assuming they went to a hotel for $59/night.
Earlier in the day, the same thing. Told them the price, gave them our winter discounted rate and she asked for a discount off the already discounted rate. Watched where they went...checked the prices at that place and they were all at least $20 more, in some cases $100 more. I bet they paid the price at the other place.

April said:
We had a walk-in last night with an 8 yo in tow. Because we'd been having no luck at all with walk-ins yesterday I decided to see how bad things were. Told the guy it was $99/night for 3 people, full breakfast. He asked for a discount. Our price for 3 in that room is $190. They left. I'm assuming they went to a hotel for $59/night.
Earlier in the day, the same thing. Told them the price, gave them our winter discounted rate and she asked for a discount off the already discounted rate. Watched where they went...checked the prices at that place and they were all at least $20 more, in some cases $100 more. I bet they paid the price at the other place.
Madeleine said:
April said:
He wanted a discount on $99 for three with dull breakfast, what a lucozade!

April said:
Tell them $135 and when they ask for a discount go to $110. You have nothing to lose if they are walking out on $99 if you decide to try it.

We accept them at any age, but charge them accordingly. Usually a minimum of $25.00 and up. The way we are set-up, we ad a single air bed or if there is more than one child we provide very comfortable air beds in the rec room with their own TV and Wii games. We have had great luck with kids "SO FAR", all well behaved and non-destructive.

April said:
Madeleine said:
April said:
Joey Bloggs said:
It was probably the dull breakfast that made him ask for the discount...
wink_smile.gif

April said:
Tell them $135 and when they ask for a discount go to $110. You have nothing to lose if they are walking out on $99 if you decide to try it.
gillumhouse said:
I tried that on the first one. 'Price is $165 usually, but our special this weekend is $140.'
'Do you do AAA, too?'
So, they went to the hotel and I am sure got a AAA discount down to $140. But, the amenities are a lot better at the hotel. (Really, they are. And they only had a few rooms left at those prices.)

April said:
Are you competing on price or are your competing on service? When you give someone a discounted price and they ask you for a further discount, that's a big old red flag, as far as I am concerned. I don't discount and I don't quibble. When they give me the price they got elsewhere, I suggest that they stay there. Doesn't do my business any good and doesn't do the other business any good. Because if I give another discounted price, they are just going to run there and say what price I gave them. Heck, if they really want a discounted price, I point them at the lovely fleabag hotel where they can get a great price deal... and they will likely never quibble about price after that.
Honestly, that's a person that is never going to take your room. You are just burning time.

We accept children 7 and up, with at least one adult over 18 present. And everyone pays, it's $15 per extra person.
We make exceptions for under 7 only in the winter and generally only for Europeans.

April said:
Are you competing on price or are your competing on service? When you give someone a discounted price and they ask you for a further discount, that's a big old red flag, as far as I am concerned. I don't discount and I don't quibble. When they give me the price they got elsewhere, I suggest that they stay there. Doesn't do my business any good and doesn't do the other business any good. Because if I give another discounted price, they are just going to run there and say what price I gave them. Heck, if they really want a discounted price, I point them at the lovely fleabag hotel where they can get a great price deal... and they will likely never quibble about price after that.
Honestly, that's a person that is never going to take your room. You are just burning time.
We set our price based on what the market will bear and the amenities we have in comparison to other places. The hotel that charges higher rates really has us beat on everything- amenities, service, food, so we don't try to compete with them. I checked to see what rates they had yesterday because sometimes they run a $99 special in the winter.
No one goes back and forth here with 'the other guy has this price, will you meet it?' It's too much work for most people. If someone has a price point they are trying to meet, for whatever reason, I point them to the right place to get that price (or amenity, if that's the sticking point).
I've had people standing here who went elsewhere for about $75 more because they thought the overall atmosphere was more to their liking.
At this time of year it is a tough sell to keep our prices higher. All along the highway and down the road from here the hotels have their $59 signs out. Guests get it into their heads that that is the price and they don't understand that a lot of it is a bait and switch. 'Oh, the $59 rooms? All sold out. We do have a $99 room.' So, no actual $59 room but they got them in the door and might get $40 more.
After that guy left we turned off the lights.

April said:
We set our price based on what the market will bear and the amenities we have in comparison to other places. The hotel that charges higher rates really has us beat on everything- amenities, service, food, so we don't try to compete with them. I checked to see what rates they had yesterday because sometimes they run a $99 special in the winter.
No one goes back and forth here with 'the other guy has this price, will you meet it?' It's too much work for most people. If someone has a price point they are trying to meet, for whatever reason, I point them to the right place to get that price (or amenity, if that's the sticking point).
I've had people standing here who went elsewhere for about $75 more because they thought the overall atmosphere was more to their liking.
At this time of year it is a tough sell to keep our prices higher. All along the highway and down the road from here the hotels have their $59 signs out. Guests get it into their heads that that is the price and they don't understand that a lot of it is a bait and switch. 'Oh, the $59 rooms? All sold out. We do have a $99 room.' So, no actual $59 room but they got them in the door and might get $40 more.
I don't work well with others, I guess. I just don't compete that way. And I also don't react well to bait and switch. If I was really looking for the $59 rooms and had read the information and felt it was B&S, I would simply leave... I assume that they are basically dishonest people and I don't want to stay with people like that.
But I understand the principle. If your price is set right and fairly, then when they ask for a discount, just say "no" and leave it at that. No point in chasing the last dollar. It's just not worth it.
We have the people chasing price on the telephone. In the summer it doesn't work at all. In the winter, it works, but I don't play the game. A number of the B&Bs around here have decided exactly as I have, to not play the game. You got availability at X and he was the first, so here is my price, like it, book, don't like it, go back. There are less than 500 B&B rooms in town, no point in competing like that. And we don't compete with hotels at all. But I do understand that you have to, especially in the low season.

April said:
I don't work well with others, I guess. I just don't compete that way. And I also don't react well to bait and switch. If I was really looking for the $59 rooms and had read the information and felt it was B&S, I would simply leave... I assume that they are basically dishonest people and I don't want to stay with people like that.
But I understand the principle. If your price is set right and fairly, then when they ask for a discount, just say "no" and leave it at that. No point in chasing the last dollar. It's just not worth it.
We have the people chasing price on the telephone. In the summer it doesn't work at all. In the winter, it works, but I don't play the game. A number of the B&Bs around here have decided exactly as I have, to not play the game. You got availability at X and he was the first, so here is my price, like it, book, don't like it, go back. There are less than 500 B&B rooms in town, no point in competing like that. And we don't compete with hotels at all. But I do understand that you have to, especially in the low season.
Because we're taking deposits this year, I am not feeling the normal 'waning days of low season' pinch to the checkbook. It's nice. So, if we get walk-ins who walk out, it's not killing me as much as usual. As I wander around town, I would say my occ is about the same as the hotels'. Of course, that's a lot more cars in a hotel parking lot than mine, but percentage-wise it's about the same.
We have around 60 B&B rooms here. But, quite a few places are closed right now.

April said:
We don't usually offer discounts but sometimes cash-flow needs a boost in mid-winter and so we will knock $25/night off our usual B+B winter rates and offer a "guest-house" no breakfast/no housekeeping rate. We have had a few takers and it is worth it to us because we have a LOT less work...no breakfast, much less contact and hospitality. This would not work if you are making breakfast for other guests but we can usually guarantee that we will not have more than one room booked at this time of year. For us it is a no-brainer.
But this week we were approached by the PR guy from the regional Chamber of Commerce who has been working with a guy planning to film a movie in the area this summer. This guy needed a room, cheap $75/night, for 2 nights mid-week and the PR person asked if we would take him. Motels in this area are not open mid-week at this time of year so I took pity on the film guy (and now the PR guy owes us a favor
tounge_smile.gif
) and gave him a special, guest-house-no-breakfast rate of $75. Geesh, my rates have not been that low since we opened in 1990!!! I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Hey, you never know....maybe he will need an extra....we could be famous! NOT
wink_smile.gif

April said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't discount and I don't quibble. When they give me the price they got elsewhere, I suggest that they stay there.
It is the only way to do it IMHO.

April said:
I won't go more than $10 down but then I usually give my first price as $10 or so more than I want if they take first offer its a bonus and if they haggel they are really getting the price I would have given them in the first place. As regards playing one place off another the vast majority of B&B's are within $10-15 of each other anyway except the really classey places who do a ton of add on's and therefore charge more. plus with Laterooms and booking.com you can see all the prices for every property and use the information to price youself at a blanced level with your competition - ie the same as properties the same as you or higher than ones less good and so on. People have these apps on their phones and will do the same. My answer depending on my mood is - yes XYZ is cheaper and has avaliability but I would be aware there is a reason for this.

One of our biggest draws is that we don't allow kids. This is a romantic adult getaway. Nuff said.

Back