Do you advertise/market your green initiatives?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climate change is real, and any innkeeper who runs their business near an east coast ski resort knows it and is scared to death of it..
either way the topic was not whether you believe or not that is your own business and opinion
question was - do you advertise your green initiatives?
For myself we do but cautiously - don't want people to think we are zealots and will hassel them all the time but also feel people want to feel they are doing good without having to do anything - as a sort of bonus.
Ie we got a review that said we were silver ward with Tr P -but that they couldnt see any sign of it - replied you wern't meant to its all supposed to happen round you so you benefit but arn't bothered by it.

I'm not a denier - and I'm saying it because opinions have already been stated.
I'm not an innkeeper any more, though I wish I was. I help out a couple nearby places as needed.
As a guest, I'm happy to stay at a green place and have never been preached to other than seeing the guest guidelines posted. But I see lots of guest guidelines everywhere I stay that have nothing to do with ecology.
As an innkeeper, I signed on for the green certification because it offered (at the time) a free listing on various sites that promoted conservation and recycling.
That being said, the little signs about leaving towels to be re-used hanging or dropping those to be washed into the shower made the guests happy but it was often not practical. In a soggy harbor town where the fog sometimes didn't burn off til 10 am and then rolling in again at 4 pm on many summer days, wet towels left on the towel bar would still be damp and not so pleasant to use at the end of the day or even the next morning. And they'd smell funky. So I'd have to switch them out. Experimented with leaving them one weekend and had a lot of guests asking for fresh towels. I couldn't hang out laundry because of the fog or the seagulls (those gulls would use my sheets for target practice).
Recycling cardboard, plastic and glass was easy though it took time ... guests were really good about putting their empty wine bottles and plastic water bottles in the proper places, though the green folk carry their refillable water bottles. Styrofoam was and is such a pain! All the takeout food in styrofoam would yield huge bags of it every week. Still does at the little place I help out at.
It takes a lot of experimenting with shower heads to get a good strong shower with less water usage. Good for the bottom line, for sure. Same for the toilets. Some of the lower water use toilets have not worked out so great with guests flushing twice.
I am buying some new bulbs, though pricey. Good, soft light in what looks more like the traditional looking bulb that is happy in old fashioned light fixtures. I never warmed to the squiggly shaped CLF's with the mercury inside.
I have my own favorite natural or let's say 'friendlier' cleaning products that are so much kinder to my hands, to my lungs and get the job done. Bleach and chemical products have ruined lots of my clothes and there are a few things I spritz while holding my breath and leave the room to catch my breath. That can't be good and I hate to use them.
Being wasteful is never a good thing. I was taught to turn down the heat, turn off the lights, etc. I am always amazed that guests who crank up the a/c with open windows, leave bathroom fans and lights and tv's on when they go out.
You run a business, you make choices. You do what works for you. I think you should strive to please your market if it is compatible with your philosophy and helps you financially.

I'm not a denier - and I'm saying it because opinions have already been stated.
I'm not an innkeeper any more, though I wish I was. I help out a couple nearby places as needed.
As a guest, I'm happy to stay at a green place and have never been preached to other than seeing the guest guidelines posted. But I see lots of guest guidelines everywhere I stay that have nothing to do with ecology.
As an innkeeper, I signed on for the green certification because it offered (at the time) a free listing on various sites that promoted conservation and recycling.
That being said, the little signs about leaving towels to be re-used hanging or dropping those to be washed into the shower made the guests happy but it was often not practical. In a soggy harbor town where the fog sometimes didn't burn off til 10 am and then rolling in again at 4 pm on many summer days, wet towels left on the towel bar would still be damp and not so pleasant to use at the end of the day or even the next morning. And they'd smell funky. So I'd have to switch them out. Experimented with leaving them one weekend and had a lot of guests asking for fresh towels. I couldn't hang out laundry because of the fog or the seagulls (those gulls would use my sheets for target practice).
Recycling cardboard, plastic and glass was easy though it took time ... guests were really good about putting their empty wine bottles and plastic water bottles in the proper places, though the green folk carry their refillable water bottles. Styrofoam was and is such a pain! All the takeout food in styrofoam would yield huge bags of it every week. Still does at the little place I help out at.
It takes a lot of experimenting with shower heads to get a good strong shower with less water usage. Good for the bottom line, for sure. Same for the toilets. Some of the lower water use toilets have not worked out so great with guests flushing twice.
I am buying some new bulbs, though pricey. Good, soft light in what looks more like the traditional looking bulb that is happy in old fashioned light fixtures. I never warmed to the squiggly shaped CLF's with the mercury inside.
I have my own favorite natural or let's say 'friendlier' cleaning products that are so much kinder to my hands, to my lungs and get the job done. Bleach and chemical products have ruined lots of my clothes and there are a few things I spritz while holding my breath and leave the room to catch my breath. That can't be good and I hate to use them.
Being wasteful is never a good thing. I was taught to turn down the heat, turn off the lights, etc. I am always amazed that guests who crank up the a/c with open windows, leave bathroom fans and lights and tv's on when they go out.
You run a business, you make choices. You do what works for you. I think you should strive to please your market if it is compatible with your philosophy and helps you financially..
Im changing to LED for 2 reasons (1) cheaper to run saves money (2) some of my rooms have as many as 9 bulbs spend my life changing bulbs so if they last longer less work for me
- double win!

Climate change is real, and any innkeeper who runs their business near an east coast ski resort knows it and is scared to death of it..
PhineasSwann said:
Climate change is real, and any innkeeper who runs their business near an east coast ski resort knows it and is scared to death of it.
That describes me exactly, no cold/snow, no winter season and while I may survive the area needs that winter business. This is the second lousy winter in a row, it won't take many to have a large effect on the economy.

I am not saying climate change is not real. The climate does change because Mother Nature changes. It is in cycles, just like the rest of life. I can remember hearing the world was freezing and turning to ice. Now the cycle is in a warmer trend perhaps but will then enter another cycle of change.
gillumhouse said:
I am not saying climate change is not real. The climate does change because Mother Nature changes.
Agree

either way the topic was not whether you believe or not that is your own business and opinion
For myself we do but cautiously - don't want people to think we are zealots and will hassel them all the time but also feel people want to feel they are doing good without having to do anything - as a sort of bonus.
Ie we got a review that said we were silver ward with Tr P -but that they couldnt see any sign of it - replied you wern't meant to its all supposed to happen round you so you benefit but arn't bothered by it.
Jcam said:
No I don't
Some years back there was a push for lodging to become certified as "green" and get a sticker for your front door, to me such programs are more about "playing the game" doing the paperwork and getting a sticker than actually following through trying to save.
I don't pick through the guests trash, but we request that they recycle and make a weekly run to the recycle station, cut our trash pickup costs by having it done every other week instead of weekly.
I use CFL light bulbs and recycle those when they fail, but they do last a long time, as they fail in the process of swapping to LED
Encourage reuse of towels, many of our stays are short weekend visits (Friday night arrival, Sunday morning departure) most guests are happy not to be bothered during their short stay.
Low flow shower heads reduces water in septic field, slowly low flow toilets as repairs are made.

"I think 2017 will be a year with a lot of focus on the environment and green initiatives, even though USA's next president is a climate change denier. The society and the scientific community could try and counter-act by doing more for the environment. DiCaprio's NatGeo documentary could have a big impact."
I too, am a denier. Many scientists also agree with me, and that USA President. Thanks for bringing politics into the forum, I have plenty to say...
I am a conservationist and wish to preserve what we have for future generations, even though up until now it may not have been done to the same extent.
(But I won't say anything more, I seem to recall you broached the subject the last time too. But if you come to the hills and hollows you may find many who recycle repurpose and reuse and try to live a careful life where they don't waste resources.).
Did NOT have the intention of bringing the political aspect of climate change into this, but it is a popular term and something to be considered, but not from the political point of view, but the results of it.
If an innkeeper is a climate change denier or not doesn't make much of a difference, just the same as being a vegan or not, being a gluten-free whatever or not... Your stance on these issues is not that important, but they ARE important for the business.
But as Norm McDonald used to say: "But what do I know? I'm just a guy... "
If it can put heads in beds, it is GOOD.
My point exactly.

Again, not going to debate the climate change being real or not, just like not going to talk about birth control, gay marriages or Obamacare.
But I think that some combination of "green stickers" on your website might make the guests feel a little better and maybe encourage them to book your place instead of another place.
You know like some online websites and businesses that have a small note on their landing/checkout pages: "10-20% of proceedings go to helping out local charities, the homeless, the 1%, etc." It might make you feel better about spending that cash, as you feel that you passively donate to a good cause, even if it is BS or not.
The same here... Even if guests will not actively ask/talk about eco-stuff, they might simply make the reservation and never bring it up.

Again, not going to debate the climate change being real or not, just like not going to talk about birth control, gay marriages or Obamacare.
But I think that some combination of "green stickers" on your website might make the guests feel a little better and maybe encourage them to book your place instead of another place.
You know like some online websites and businesses that have a small note on their landing/checkout pages: "10-20% of proceedings go to helping out local charities, the homeless, the 1%, etc." It might make you feel better about spending that cash, as you feel that you passively donate to a good cause, even if it is BS or not.
The same here... Even if guests will not actively ask/talk about eco-stuff, they might simply make the reservation and never bring it up..
We've got it on our website and in our room books. But I don't push it. We sort the trash by hand to pull out the recyclables. Most of what we do is behind the scenes, but the info about what we do and how much it has saved in resources is on the website. I should update the info this year.
I was brought up to believe everyone has to do their part to leave everything better than they found it.

The same here... Even if guests will not actively ask/talk about eco-stuff, they might simply make the reservation and never bring it up..
dumitru said:
Good one, keep doing it old boy.
I am not going to discuss it either, I don't have to anymore. Abortion or Obamacare.
We are getting a green award from the state, but again that is for being conscientious of our resources.

dumitru said:
I am not going to discuss it either, I don't have to anymore. Abortion or Obamacare.
We are getting a green award from the state, but again that is for being conscientious of our resources.
We are getting a green award from the state
THAT is what I was so angry about with my DEP - they never came up with a logo I could post. Whether they actually practiced it or not, the logo would give the "feel good" to potential guests to encourage booking back in the years when it was really the trend and I NEEDED the reservations.

dumitru said:
THAT is what I was so angry about with my DEP - they never came up with a logo I could post. Whether they actually practiced it or not, the logo would give the "feel good" to potential guests to encourage booking back in the years when it was really the trend and I NEEDED the reservations.
gillumhouse said:
All of these programs are at the whim of whomever is in charge anyway. So don't worry about not getting a logo or a lot of business from it. We haven't heard anything in years from our state about renewing or updating our certificate. It's no longer popular.
When was the last time you heard anyone mention recycling or reducing waste? Maybe that's what craigslist is for.
The home decorating shows are all back to deep soaker tubs and closets the size of my living room. (Except tiny houses, which would be nowhere if the shows were called 'Trailer Life'.)
Ok, back to sorting stuff...

dumitru said:
gillumhouse said:
All of these programs are at the whim of whomever is in charge anyway. So don't worry about not getting a logo or a lot of business from it. We haven't heard anything in years from our state about renewing or updating our certificate. It's no longer popular.
When was the last time you heard anyone mention recycling or reducing waste? Maybe that's what craigslist is for.
The home decorating shows are all back to deep soaker tubs and closets the size of my living room. (Except tiny houses, which would be nowhere if the shows were called 'Trailer Life'.)
Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
That was from back in 2005 when it DID matter - today I do not give a rip.

We've got it on our website and in our room books. But I don't push it. We sort the trash by hand to pull out the recyclables. Most of what we do is behind the scenes, but the info about what we do and how much it has saved in resources is on the website. I should update the info this year.
I was brought up to believe everyone has to do their part to leave everything better than they found it.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children"

dumitru said:
JBloggs said:
I feel like I'm under fire here for some reason... Please don't shoot the pianist.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children"
dumitru said:
Dad never put it that way, he just said, 'go pick up that trash. I don't care if it's not our trash. You don't leave a mess like that when you leave. I don't care if someone else left it. We don't.'

dumitru said:
JBloggs said:
I feel like I'm under fire here for some reason... Please don't shoot the pianist.
dumitru said:
JBloggs said:
It's because you keep bringing up things we have chosen not to discuss here. This is probably the one place most of us can go and not have to hear about politics.
We have chosen this because many of us completely disagree with the others about politics. So, it's the DMZ here.
Don't ask, don't tell. Don't bring it up at all.
I don't think anyone has changed their beliefs based on any comments anyone has made.
So, lay off the politics. Thanks.

dumitru said:
Dad never put it that way, he just said, 'go pick up that trash. I don't care if it's not our trash. You don't leave a mess like that when you leave. I don't care if someone else left it. We don't.'
Morticia said:
dumitru said:
An echo of what I heard growing up (You are much younger than I, therefore an echo).

Back