Do you all get more men making online reservations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CafeMae

Reaction score
I'm having a "what should I do next with so much to do" moment. And I have a question I think you all could help me with. Over the past 6 months since opening, we've seen about 75-80% of our online reservations completed by men (or at least they sign up under the man's name). I was wondering if you all saw a similar ratio?
The reason why this concerns me is I think- hey, is my site not appealing to women travelers to make a reservation-and am I losing out on those reservations? I know I'm the one in our marriage that always makes reservations-and I thought more women would be like me (the ones making the res).

This would be a good poll question. Somewhere. So you can find out.
I can guarantee that the person reading this HERE on this forum is the one who makes the reservations and plans the trips. It is what it is, that is why we are here. Whether male or female.

I can guarantee that the person reading this HERE on this forum is the one who makes the reservations and plans the trips. It is what it is, that is why we are here. Whether male or female..
Sigh..going to make me figure out setting up a poll, eh? That's quite an insightful observation re who makes reservation.

I'm going to say that a lot more women make the reservation and put it in their husband's/boyfriend's name. How do I know this? The confirmations go to the female name, the cc is the female name. When women fill out the form and it asks for the names of BOTH guests they give me the names of BOTH guests. Guys? No, all they give is their name. Sometimes twice. Yes, they fill in both lines with their own name. (And this is confirmation going to the guy.)
When they call on the phone and I ask for the name I get, 'Oh, just put it in my husband's name.'
It's beyond annoying that that I have to ask the woman's name when they check in. I never have to ask for the guy's name.
Obv this is not 100% every time. It was more of a preponderance of evidence that it falls to the woman making the rez in the guy's name.

I'm going to say that a lot more women make the reservation and put it in their husband's/boyfriend's name. How do I know this? The confirmations go to the female name, the cc is the female name. When women fill out the form and it asks for the names of BOTH guests they give me the names of BOTH guests. Guys? No, all they give is their name. Sometimes twice. Yes, they fill in both lines with their own name. (And this is confirmation going to the guy.)
When they call on the phone and I ask for the name I get, 'Oh, just put it in my husband's name.'
It's beyond annoying that that I have to ask the woman's name when they check in. I never have to ask for the guy's name.
Obv this is not 100% every time. It was more of a preponderance of evidence that it falls to the woman making the rez in the guy's name..
regular_smile.gif
Guys put down their name twice.
You could be right, it could be that it is women putting down the guy's name. I created a poll...somewhere...I'm hoping it shows up.

I can guarantee that the person reading this HERE on this forum is the one who makes the reservations and plans the trips. It is what it is, that is why we are here. Whether male or female..
Hubby usually makes the rez. If I put down suggestion, I usually get overruled. :(
If I were to make the rez, I'm old school and would probably put his name down first.

How can you tell?.
I'm assuming based on their name. If it's John Smith vs Anna Smith in the online res. (now, anna could be actually be filling it out and putting down John's name or viceversa).
CafeMae said:
I'm assuming based on their name. If it's John Smith vs Anna Smith in the online res. (now, anna could be actually be filling it out and putting down John's name or viceversa).
But I ask for both guests names. The only way I may be able to tell who made it is by the name on the credit card section. That is what I would probably look at, and even that is not 100%.
Older crowd always put Mr & Mrs, all of our older UK guests always do.

How can you tell?.
CafeMae said:
PS It makes me insane when they DON'T put the other guest name on the booking. I have to try to guess what or who will show up. I always feel like they are hiding something, like an underage person or something. It is never that way, I can think the worst until they check in!
Or ...it is an internet hook up and we NEVER learn the second person's name! That has happened, but not lately.

How can you tell?.
CafeMae said:
Yes, around here a lot of women still have no individual identity. They are Mrs. John Smith, not Anna Smith.
Sigh.

How can you tell?.
CafeMae said:
But I ask for both guests names. The only way I may be able to tell who made it is by the name on the credit card section. That is what I would probably look at, and even that is not 100%.
Joey Bloggs said:
It also says that on the credit cards from the UK.

How can you tell?.
CafeMae said:
Yes, around here a lot of women still have no individual identity. They are Mrs. John Smith, not Anna Smith.
Sigh.
There are still some "old school" folks around. I do our garden club yearbook, and they wanted me to use the Mrs. John Smith...NO WAY! It is Anna Smith in my yearbook!!! Get with it ladies!!!

Or there are those that just sign in as John Smith and never add that Anna Smith is there with them (and visa versa)
This thread reminded me of a young oriental couple who recently stayed who are still stuck in the old traditional ways of their native land. He was signing in our guests book and she was standing at his side. He said something in native tongue and she started stepping back, slightly bowing as she went.

Back