Do you believe in omens?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
OK, there is a property I am quite interested in, located halfway across the country. Everything about it intrigues me, and the town it's in fits me like a glove. Unfortunately, the realtor is spectacularly less than responsive -- questions take literally a month to get answered -- and she has started playing the there's-another-person-about-to-make-an-offer game. I refuse to play that (partly because I don't believe her, and partly because I see no reason to get into a bidding war in this economy). I have all but decided to move on to something else. . .
. . . but everywhere I turn, and every single other property I have looked at has something about it that points me back to the one I'm walking away from. So far, all the other properties (even non-B&B's), no matter where they are in the country are located, have "my" town name somehow involved -- usually a street name, but sometimes a county name. It's not an unusual name, per se, but it's repeated appearance is unusual. A couple of weeks ago, I was killing time and surfing the web. I came across an obscure historical figure, so I did a bit of research and came across a reference to "my" B&B. Apparently, the original (not current) owner named one of the rooms after this character. A few days ago, I came across the rather unusual name of the original owner of the house (yes, I researched it; it is the name I would give the property), and tonight I as I was walking into the grocery store, I saw a truck in the parking lot with the current owner's (and B&B) name on it. Again, a fairly unusual name, especially in this part of the country.
So what say you? Eerie coincidences, or something to be heeded?

Both. You're tuned into those names, so you see them. But there's a reason you're tuned into them.
Give the realtor the 'we're getting in contact with the owner about your lack of motivation' speech and see if that improves anything. We couldn't get anything out of a realtor we dealt with because the owner wasn't really interested in selling. They left for their winter (3 month) vacation the day we saw the property and they just didn't want to deal with the sale at that point.

Follow your heart and your gut feeling and all will fall into place.
Best of luck

Both. You're tuned into those names, so you see them. But there's a reason you're tuned into them.
Give the realtor the 'we're getting in contact with the owner about your lack of motivation' speech and see if that improves anything. We couldn't get anything out of a realtor we dealt with because the owner wasn't really interested in selling. They left for their winter (3 month) vacation the day we saw the property and they just didn't want to deal with the sale at that point..
I don't know about omens, but I no longer believe there are any coincidences.
That said, often, you can only see clearly in hindsight the direction all this is going.
At one point, DH & I (who weren't actively seeking a property yet) came across one for sale. When we investigated, it was amazing. A great near-by attraction. Fantastic reputation. Being sold as a business in our price range (almost unheard of). Local businesses willing to partner in a field my HD has a lot of experience. Sounded perfect. When we saw the place, well, the pictures didn't quite look like the real thing, lots of furnishings gone, but that's okay...right? Then we tried to get some figures out of the owner.
Morticia said:
We couldn't get anything out of a realtor we dealt with because the owner wasn't really interested in selling.
Small world, Morticia. After several apologetic gestures from the real estate agent, DH & I finally got the idea that the owner didn't really want to sell. Whatever the reason - emotional, financial - he didn't want to sell.
So...within a month, we come across our current property. The kicker is the place was listed for _less than half the price_ of the "perfect" place . This town has been a very good fit for us.
Honestly, after the fact, we decided the "perfect" place was put in front of us to have us get it in gear so we could purchase the place we're at (which is actually more perfect for us
wink_smile.gif
)

Give the realtor the 'we're getting in contact with the owner about your lack of motivation' speech and see if that improves anything. We couldn't get anything out of a realtor we dealt with because the owner wasn't really interested in selling. They left for their winter (3 month) vacation the day we saw the property and they just didn't want to deal with the sale at that point..
I don't know about omens, but I no longer believe there are any coincidences.
That said, often, you can only see clearly in hindsight the direction all this is going.
At one point, DH & I (who weren't actively seeking a property yet) came across one for sale. When we investigated, it was amazing. A great near-by attraction. Fantastic reputation. Being sold as a business in our price range (almost unheard of). Local businesses willing to partner in a field my HD has a lot of experience. Sounded perfect. When we saw the place, well, the pictures didn't quite look like the real thing, lots of furnishings gone, but that's okay...right? Then we tried to get some figures out of the owner.
Morticia said:
We couldn't get anything out of a realtor we dealt with because the owner wasn't really interested in selling.
Small world, Morticia. After several apologetic gestures from the real estate agent, DH & I finally got the idea that the owner didn't really want to sell. Whatever the reason - emotional, financial - he didn't want to sell.
So...within a month, we come across our current property. The kicker is the place was listed for _less than half the price_ of the "perfect" place . This town has been a very good fit for us.
Honestly, after the fact, we decided the "perfect" place was put in front of us to have us get it in gear so we could purchase the place we're at (which is actually more perfect for us
wink_smile.gif
)
In our case, the owner wasn't interested in selling at that point because everything we wanted...financials, etc...was in the house and they were in another state. The REALTOR, however, did not give up. Promised us every couple of days that everything was in the mail. Obviously the owner wasn't ready to sell or the realtor would have had all of that info in their possession when they agreed to list the property.
It was a long, frustrating process that ultimately led us to tell the realtor to never call us again. About anything.
Which is why I would want to speak to the owner of the inn in question in this thread. Who is the weak link here? The realtor in not doing the job or the seller in not wanting to sell? I'd also be taking a trip to see the place in person. As you found out, that is imperative. We ended up buying the only place that looked like the photos!

It does not sound like you have physically gone there to see it? That may make or break your connection. I would go there unannounced and request a viewing if it has not yet sold. It is worth the trip to see if it's really all you think it to be. Try and take off the rose colored glasses.
I fell in love with a total fixer-upper 20 - 30 minutes south of Charlottesville. It was a grand old property that would be stunning fixed up. But looking at it now it would have been a disaster as a B&B as it was far far too far from town and the wineries.
RIki

no
but I do believe in instinct. Follow your gut, not the supernatural is what I say. Don't follow your heart, that will always get you into trouble.
broken_heart.gif

GO SEE IT! You really have to see it to know if it "Yours". I firmly believe in the house saying "I am yours" - my daughter did not believe it until it happened to her. And she had found a house that she was so in love with that it took her sister telling her to look at the neighborhood to get her to walk awy from it. THEN she walked in to the "I am yours".
IF there are any "god help us" areas, they are NOT going to photograph them nor tell you about them - you have to go see it. And if you are stnding in front of that realtor or owner you may get better answers. If you have not come to see it, how do they know YOU are serious?

I believe that omens happen, and that God works all things together in amazing ways.
I know that I ended up in the perfect house and the perfect town in the perfect location for ME. Not perfect for anyone else, probably, but just right for me. And it wasn't by my skill or brains, or even sheer luck. God was looking out for me and orchestrating things.
If you don't believe in God, then maybe omens don't work... I dunno.
=)
Kk.

I believe that omens happen, and that God works all things together in amazing ways.
I know that I ended up in the perfect house and the perfect town in the perfect location for ME. Not perfect for anyone else, probably, but just right for me. And it wasn't by my skill or brains, or even sheer luck. God was looking out for me and orchestrating things.
If you don't believe in God, then maybe omens don't work... I dunno.
=)
Kk..
I agree with you, Socks.

By all means, go and see it. When we were looking, this house called us back again and again, and it was just a residence at the time. So, instead of buying an existing Inn, we bought this place and started our own.

YS, you are soooo right!
We are here because we were lead to it and I truly believe that! We were only in the dream stage of being an innkeeper. For some reason I saw the listing for this place in the real estate book and just had to take a peek. Lots of obsticles to leap over or break down but all I could say was if it is meant to be it will happen. If not, HE has another place or plan for you.
Morticia "You're tuned into those names, so you see them. But there's a reason you're tuned into them."That is also true. That happens with a lot of things - shapes, colors, etc.

Back