Do you charge to change rooms for one night?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Guests here tonight and tomorrow night booked the full size bed guest room as it was the only room left. Now we have a room open for JUST tonight. So if they ask and want to take the queen size bed tonight and then move tomorrow, what would you do?
I really do not want them doing this. I have enough on my plate this weekend to be cleaning addtl rooms that need not be used. I am hoping to book this room for tonight for a one night stay.
Do you charge them to move rooms like this? Just as it is their preference? not because of a mix up or anything.

I hate doing it but I don't charge an additional fee. If the room prices are different, I charge whatever the room price is.

I have never had this happen. None of my guests have ever wanted to go through the aggro of packing it and moving, only to move again. Sheesh!!
I have had times when the private bath was booked and I offered the smaller room with detached bath (shared) as a private bath if they were willing to pay the private rate and I would not rent the other shared bath guest room.

must you tell them it is open? i'm sorry, what is the difference in the rooms? is it mostly just the bed size?
i would not offer it ... i would not encourage the move since you do not want to do it. but if they find out on their own, i would give it to them if they want to pay the different room rate.
it happens here sometimes and it can be harder than a regular check out. because the guest sometimes does not get all their things packed up by 11 or wants help moving their stuff or wants to get into the other room the next day before it's ready. on the other hand, if it's not likely to be taken by a last minute, it would be nice to get a little extra $ tonight.

Hmmmm...
Haven't been asked yet, but I assume eventually I will.
Do you have an extra person charge? After setting up the room last week for two (standard set up), then converting it for four (plenty of work), I vowed to never cave on charging the extra person charges again. If you let them move, will you be grumbling and resentful when you clean both rooms? If so, charge 'em! You'll still have the cleaning, but at least you're compensated. (And, to me, compensation isn't so much an hourly thing, as a 'if they're willing to pay then I'm willing to clean' kind of thing.)
Let us know what transpires...
=)
Kk.

I just reread that. I wouldn't give them the option if they have to swap rooms if you don't want the extra work. That's not an offer I make to guests.

I agree with the others that said don't even offer it if you would rather not do the extra cleaning. They will never know it is available unless you tell them - right!

I agree with the others that said don't even offer it if you would rather not do the extra cleaning. They will never know it is available unless you tell them - right!.
Copperhead said:
I agree with the others that said don't even offer it if you would rather not do the extra cleaning. They will never know it is available unless you tell them - right!
Unless they are online addicts like some of my guests have been. They will come to the door to try to check-in early and when I say we're cleaning and the rooms aren't done, I'll get back, 'Our room had no one in it last night...we checked.' Glare. 'Can we check-in now?' As if the little bit of info that room was unoccupied last night and they KNOW that will encourage me to open the door.

must you tell them it is open? i'm sorry, what is the difference in the rooms? is it mostly just the bed size?
i would not offer it ... i would not encourage the move since you do not want to do it. but if they find out on their own, i would give it to them if they want to pay the different room rate.
it happens here sometimes and it can be harder than a regular check out. because the guest sometimes does not get all their things packed up by 11 or wants help moving their stuff or wants to get into the other room the next day before it's ready. on the other hand, if it's not likely to be taken by a last minute, it would be nice to get a little extra $ tonight..
seashanty said:
it happens here sometimes and it can be harder than a regular check out. because the guest sometimes does not get all their things packed up by 11 or wants help moving their stuff or wants to get into the other room the next day before it's ready. on the other hand, if it's not likely to be taken by a last minute, it would be nice to get a little extra $ tonight.
That is the plan...do not offer, do not let them know it is open for just tonight. Yes it is the bed size they want bigger. Maybe they are large or tall people. The full has no footboard, so they should be okay if tall.
I am going to tell them if they WANT to do that, that they are reserved for one nighters (which they are now) or there is noone to clean them tomorrow. DH will be working all day and we have a full house otherwise.

Hmmmm...
Do you have an extra person charge? After setting up the room last week for two (standard set up), then converting it for four (plenty of work), I vowed to never cave on charging the extra person charges again. If you let them move, will you be grumbling and resentful when you clean both rooms? If so, charge 'em! You'll still have the cleaning, but at least you're compensated. (And, to me, compensation isn't so much an hourly thing, as a 'if they're willing to pay then I'm willing to clean' kind of thing.)
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Hmmmm...
=)
Kk.
Compensated since the room costs $10 more? $10 in a higher priced room fee is not worth it to me to have to clean the room for one night and yet more laundry. I will see how it goes. I am going to not even mention it. But I think they will.

I just reread that. I wouldn't give them the option if they have to swap rooms if you don't want the extra work. That's not an offer I make to guests..
Bree said:
I just reread that. I wouldn't give them the option if they have to swap rooms if you don't want the extra work. That's not an offer I make to guests.
Ok. You guys have been my backbone. I have been in the fight all week re guest issues, so this one I will stand my ground on as well. NO OPTION, NO WE DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER ROOM AVAILABLE FOR EVEN ONE NIGHT. NOPE< UNAVAILABLE. I will book it if I get call ONLY.

Hmmmm...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Hmmmm...
=)
Kk.
Compensated since the room costs $10 more? $10 in a higher priced room fee is not worth it to me to have to clean the room for one night and yet more laundry. I will see how it goes. I am going to not even mention it. But I think they will.
Only $10 difference? No wonder they do not mind putting you to a lot of work! I have a $30 difference between my queen w/pvt and the 2 doubles that share a bath (that is one bed per room BTW). I am going to have enough difference between the rates that it will make them choose in my favor. Queen usually wins, but not always. The beauty of that is that the pvt is still available if they go with the less expensive room.

They checked in and love the room! See K I went back and forth on the price on that room. Raise it as it is a nice room, or make it the "more affordable" room.
They didn't ask, I didn't say a word.
Answer to inquiring minds want to know - he is not skinny. They can snuggle.
heart.gif

They checked in and love the room! See K I went back and forth on the price on that room. Raise it as it is a nice room, or make it the "more affordable" room.
They didn't ask, I didn't say a word.
Answer to inquiring minds want to know - he is not skinny. They can snuggle.
heart.gif
tada! 'they love the room' ... perfect.

I agree with the others that said don't even offer it if you would rather not do the extra cleaning. They will never know it is available unless you tell them - right!.
Copperhead said:
Unless they are online addicts like some of my guests have been. They will come to the door to try to check-in early and when I say we're cleaning and the rooms aren't done, I'll get back, 'Our room had no one in it last night...we checked.' Glare. 'Can we check-in now?' As if the little bit of info that room was unoccupied last night and they KNOW that will encourage me to open the door.
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
I don't know if I would be as quick to think about this if it happened to me, but given the circumstances you mention, I would try to be quick and say that at times I am unable to update for late walk-ins. I do mention on my Webervations page that although we try to keep our availability current, but it is not instantly updated. - Not exact wording...

Copperhead said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
I don't know if I would be as quick to think about this if it happened to me, but given the circumstances you mention, I would try to be quick and say that at times I am unable to update for late walk-ins. I do mention on my Webervations page that although we try to keep our availability current, but it is not instantly updated. - Not exact wording...
I always wish I was faster on my feet. There's a word/phrase I can never remember for when you come up with a zippy retort an hour later. It has 'stairs' or 'steps' or something like that in the word.
I just say 'no.'

Hmmmm...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Hmmmm...
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
Hmmmm...
=)
Kk.
No, compensated as in it's a $10 per night additional charge, plus the $25 (or $50 or whatever) cleaning charge to switch rooms. My extra person charge is $25/person per night. I'd want to charge at least that much...
=)
Kk.

Copperhead said:
This may happen more & more with iPhones and the like. Just had a retiree guest who was demonstrating all the power of his iPhone. He had our website with everything on there!

I just reread that. I wouldn't give them the option if they have to swap rooms if you don't want the extra work. That's not an offer I make to guests..
Bree said:
Ok. You guys have been my backbone. I have been in the fight all week re guest issues, so this one I will stand my ground on as well. NO OPTION, NO WE DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER ROOM AVAILABLE FOR EVEN ONE NIGHT. NOPE< UNAVAILABLE. I will book it if I get call ONLY.
I would never tell them or give them the option. They more than likely won't know. Just close and lock the door.

Back