Do you do recipricol lodging with other Inns or Innkeepers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
If so, what are your policies on this?
Midweek stay only? Stay one night free pay for the other (so it's 50% off) and you won't eat the costs entirely?
Who do you allow to exchange nights with? Only those you know, or only OWNERS of other Inns or Innkeepers, versus hired innkeepers?
Should we start a thread where we actually list our inns for our own night for a night and see who is willing to do this here? Your thoughts?

I used to do reciprocal but only with folks in our association or other innkeepers I knew. I gave them one free night in exchange for one free night. Usually weekdays were my only rule. I would not give a free room to just anyone saying they were an innkeeper. I am not that generous
devil_smile.gif

No one's ever asked, so I don't know... I love to travel so I probably would.
I still have the same standing offer I had at the other place... anyone who is active on this forum (i.e., I recognize their logon) is welcome to stay at my place for free in exchange for me picking their brain about their B&B operations and experience.
=) Kk.

50% off to other Select Registry innkeepers whom I don't know that well - that's a SR policy, which is fine by me. Free for friends and other innkeepers I know, sometimes even only electronically. Sometimes I might do a reciprocal but it would need to be for somewhere I might actually go. I don't mind doing weekends if it's for someone I know well, or if it's at the slower time of year. I haven't ever had a request for employees, yet - so I'm not sure what I would do in that case.
I have bartered, also, for photos of the Inn - I got the best end of that deal.
Jeanne

50% off to other Select Registry innkeepers whom I don't know that well - that's a SR policy, which is fine by me. Free for friends and other innkeepers I know, sometimes even only electronically. Sometimes I might do a reciprocal but it would need to be for somewhere I might actually go. I don't mind doing weekends if it's for someone I know well, or if it's at the slower time of year. I haven't ever had a request for employees, yet - so I'm not sure what I would do in that case.
I have bartered, also, for photos of the Inn - I got the best end of that deal.
Jeanne.
For the folks here, absolutely. Someone that I don't know & have never met (even electronically), hmmmmmm.... I have lots of bills to pay like everyone else!!

This one is still up in the air for me. I do a discount for other innkeepers (if they tell me they are innkeepers when they book). The discount depends on what time of year it is. I know innkeepers who just swap with us. There's no 'accounting' so it's not always an even swap (I think we stay there more than they stay here) but we never go there when they have other guests and it's usually at their invite that we go. Along the lines of, 'Hey, I see you have no guests, want to come over for a visit?'
There are a couple of innkeepers on here who I am in debt to. I've stayed there for free and it's their turn to come here...

I just joined "Night for Night" I like the way it is just a straight swap, no matter if one is a log house and the other a mansion. Also, they have a way of the traveler emailing the inn they wish to stay in with dates and the inn has the right to decline due to bookings. I've talked to innkeepers who have used this system sucessfully.
We just have not had time to take off and try it yet.
Riki

I just joined "Night for Night" I like the way it is just a straight swap, no matter if one is a log house and the other a mansion. Also, they have a way of the traveler emailing the inn they wish to stay in with dates and the inn has the right to decline due to bookings. I've talked to innkeepers who have used this system sucessfully.
Riki.
Hey glad to see you made it over here:)
I did Night for Night. Had some here, but never had the opportunity to take them up on a stay. I suspect she would still let me now..even though we have closed the B & B.

Riki.
Hey glad to see you made it over here:)
I did Night for Night. Had some here, but never had the opportunity to take them up on a stay. I suspect she would still let me now..even though we have closed the B & B.
Yes, I've been away for about 5 days. We blocked off a week for a vacation hosting about 8 classmates for a 40th high school reunion here. Rode motorcycles (not me with my back) wine tasted, ate too much, enjoyed rekindling good old friendships. It was SO MUCH FUN.
We are a motley crew who went to boarding school in Switzerland because we either lived there (us embassy, Aramco oil company in Saudi Arabia, etc.) or were kids of rich folk who just wanted them out of their hair
Riki

I'm getting to the point where I offer a 10% discount for just about anything. I figure I'll just include it in my prices.
=) Kk.

At first I didn't know what you meant by even if only electronically. I feel so robotic right now.
wink_smile.gif

At first I didn't know what you meant by even if only electronically. I feel so robotic right now.
wink_smile.gif
Well by the time you came here we had already met you. In fact, you gave me a free room even though you had only met me electronically! Carole did the same thing in Florida without ever having met me. El stayed here after we'd only talked on the phone, the forum, and by email - but she paid a little bit since it was covered in her speaker's fee. It's hard to believe but other people think that's all kind of wierd - that we would stay with people we've never met because we feel like we already know them.
Jeanne

wink_smile.gif
Well by the time you came here we had already met you. In fact, you gave me a free room even though you had only met me electronically! Carole did the same thing in Florida without ever having met me. El stayed here after we'd only talked on the phone, the forum, and by email - but she paid a little bit since it was covered in her speaker's fee. It's hard to believe but other people think that's all kind of wierd - that we would stay with people we've never met because we feel like we already know them.
Jeanne
Yes, it was kind of hard to explain going to visit Abberly Inn to my sister... I just went to see my friend I hadn't yet met.
=) Kk.

wink_smile.gif
Jeanne
When I stayed with Samster she took me to a party in her neighborhood. (While JBJ sat in an airport waiting for the storms to pass.)
Neighbors thought I was moving into town and wanted to know if I was an old friend of Samsters. Of course I said, 'Oh no, we just met today.' When they probed a bit more I tee hee'd and whispered, 'Truthfully? We met online.' Wink, wink.
Not knowing me they had no idea how to take that...

"It's hard to believe but other people think that's all kind of wierd - that we would stay with people we've never met because we feel like we already know them." J wrote
So what you are saying is that having complete strangers in our home is not okay? HA HA
Yes we are a trusting bunch.

I charge MABB members and another certain group of innkeepers (guess who that might be) a Thank You. Other innkeepers get a discount depending on what season and what day of the week. I did have a member ask how much for a room for an employee and she offered to pay full rate, but I charged $25 plus tax to cover my expenses since it was not for her. I have been blessed by so many of my members giving me a room when I was in their area on business and a few have invited me just so I could see their place telling me I needed a get-away. Each has been totally appreciated.

"It's hard to believe but other people think that's all kind of wierd - that we would stay with people we've never met because we feel like we already know them." J wrote
So what you are saying is that having complete strangers in our home is not okay? HA HA
Yes we are a trusting bunch..
"A trusting bunch"? To say the least :) I actually was offered a discount several times as an aspiring...didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me. Very surprising & greatly appreciated.
If anyone wants to come here, I'd wait until it's not so blasted hot!

I would reciprocate, but we haven't had any other innkeepers come to visit yet (please come see us!!!!) I want to check out the Night for Night.

I would reciprocate, but we haven't had any other innkeepers come to visit yet (please come see us!!!!) I want to check out the Night for Night..
I am listed with Night for Night. We are on I80 so could get alot but haven't. Had 1 request and with only 1 suite and it was booked. Suggested the date before or after, but didn't hear back.

Back