Do you eat with your guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not eat with guests normally but have done so once or twice with single women who have asked me to do so.
I just about always sit and have coffee with guests after they've eaten. The only time I don't is if I have a house full of Germans who are speaking their own language and enjoying doing so. I don't feel I should make them start speaking Engish because I join them. If they start speaking English that's another story.
I am not a hotel or a restaurant. This is my home and do not feel I'm infringing on guests when I sit and chat with them. Most of the comments in my guest book is how nice it was to sit and chat with me and other guests and to learn about the area, etc. etc..
sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww

I do not eat with guests normally but have done so once or twice with single women who have asked me to do so.
I just about always sit and have coffee with guests after they've eaten. The only time I don't is if I have a house full of Germans who are speaking their own language and enjoying doing so. I don't feel I should make them start speaking Engish because I join them. If they start speaking English that's another story.
I am not a hotel or a restaurant. This is my home and do not feel I'm infringing on guests when I sit and chat with them. Most of the comments in my guest book is how nice it was to sit and chat with me and other guests and to learn about the area, etc. etc..
sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww
Breakfast Diva said:
sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww
Agreed!

Nope, we've never sat down and eaten with our guests even if they asked we do stand and chat with them and maybe after breakfast we may sit and chatted longer. It would be kind of "weird" to sit and eat with the guests, we are here to serve them not join them

With one or two guests who have been here before and want to visit...you bet we eat with them. Single travelers who do not want to eat alone...you bet, we eat with them too. There is too much serving to do when there are more guests than that, and whether or not they are old time repeats and want us to visit, we can't. There is work to do.
I must say though, many of our guests seem offended if we don't at least sit with them at breakfast, and many actually ask why we won't eat with them, so I do not think it is weird or inapropriate at all if that is what an innkeeper wants to do, especially in a small inn. It is an intimacy that some expect from their host.

With one or two guests who have been here before and want to visit...you bet we eat with them. Single travelers who do not want to eat alone...you bet, we eat with them too. There is too much serving to do when there are more guests than that, and whether or not they are old time repeats and want us to visit, we can't. There is work to do.
I must say though, many of our guests seem offended if we don't at least sit with them at breakfast, and many actually ask why we won't eat with them, so I do not think it is weird or inapropriate at all if that is what an innkeeper wants to do, especially in a small inn. It is an intimacy that some expect from their host..
I feel it's their time away and I'm not there to butt in. It's like a waiter or a waitress staying a little too long at your table. You want your time and don't need a stragner joining in.
Jenny

I must say though, many of our guests seem offended if we don't at least sit with them at breakfast, and many actually ask why we won't eat with them, so I do not think it is weird or inapropriate at all if that is what an innkeeper wants to do, especially in a small inn. It is an intimacy that some expect from their host..
I feel it's their time away and I'm not there to butt in. It's like a waiter or a waitress staying a little too long at your table. You want your time and don't need a stragner joining in.
Jenny
I think if that were the case they would stay in a hotel.
I also find guests are asking me to sit and talk on the first day when they don't know that I automatically do that. One thing I do is wait until they've eaten. I have stayed at BBs where the host stands and talks while I'm trying to eat. I find I need to stop eating or gulp my food or whatever and if the host is not standing directly in front of me I have to turn to listen to them.
When I do sit, I sit at a spot where all guests can see me and they are not having to twist and turn so perhaps those of you who stand and talk might think about this little aspect from a guest point of view.

Jenny
I think if that were the case they would stay in a hotel.
I also find guests are asking me to sit and talk on the first day when they don't know that I automatically do that. One thing I do is wait until they've eaten. I have stayed at BBs where the host stands and talks while I'm trying to eat. I find I need to stop eating or gulp my food or whatever and if the host is not standing directly in front of me I have to turn to listen to them.
When I do sit, I sit at a spot where all guests can see me and they are not having to twist and turn so perhaps those of you who stand and talk might think about this little aspect from a guest point of view.
I do agree with you, if they ask me to sit and visit I will. I'm very friendly to them. I just know some people want their own time and I don't force myself on them and make them feel like they have to keep me company.

sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww
Breakfast Diva said:
sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww
Agreed!
Also agree! I've been staying at B&B's for about 5 years for vacations and week-ends away (alone, with husband, with husband and son, or more). Perhaps I'm a bad client, but it would never occur to me to 'invite' a B&B owner/innkeeper to sit down and have breakfast with me, and I've never seen it. Most people running the B&Bs seem to take that time to clean the kitchen, make up their lists, etc. so they can get to other things later. However, always important to be available to the clients and aware of what's going on in the breakfast room!

sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww
Breakfast Diva said:
sit & chat = wonderful
sit & eat = ewwwwwww
Agreed!
Also agree! I've been staying at B&B's for about 5 years for vacations and week-ends away (alone, with husband, with husband and son, or more). Perhaps I'm a bad client, but it would never occur to me to 'invite' a B&B owner/innkeeper to sit down and have breakfast with me, and I've never seen it. Most people running the B&Bs seem to take that time to clean the kitchen, make up their lists, etc. so they can get to other things later. However, always important to be available to the clients and aware of what's going on in the breakfast room!
I don't think I've been talking about breakfast - just having coffee with guests although I have been asked a few times to join guests for breakfast. No, I don't unless it's a single woman wanting company.

Back