Do you enjoy early check ins?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Lately we have had an increase in early check in requests! Not sure why. Normally it's not a big deal and we are glad to accommodate this. Not so happy on days that we have 5 check outs and 5 check ins and 3 of them are wanting to arrive 2 hours before check in time. We found our selves falling behind (time wise) with making sure everything was ready to go by check in time. So I tried to think of a way to nicely discourage this request! I logged onto our reservation program and made early check in a bookable package!
"This should take care of this little problem! No one will pay $20 bucks to arrive a few hours before normal check in time! Wow was I wrong! I think I'm going to enjoy early check ins now! I have had this option now for 3 days and have already made enough money to cover our house keeper for 2 days!

Yes, many charge for early check-in or late check-out, and people who really want it will pay for it. A few days ago I noticed someone even sold it as an add-on "sleep-late package". For a fee, get a late breakfast and late check-out.
I think you should be paid for it when people make special requests outside your normal policies. Of course, I think B&B's should also be charging extra for dealing with people on special diets. Make a "special diet package" and charge an extra $12 or so for each day you have to make a special trip to the store, or take extra time and effort to meet special dietary requests.
Of course, like everything else, the innkeeper is free to make exceptions to the rules and do special things for people just for the service and joy of doing it, but when you have to do something you don't really like to do, you should be paid for it!

Yes, many charge for early check-in or late check-out, and people who really want it will pay for it. A few days ago I noticed someone even sold it as an add-on "sleep-late package". For a fee, get a late breakfast and late check-out.
I think you should be paid for it when people make special requests outside your normal policies. Of course, I think B&B's should also be charging extra for dealing with people on special diets. Make a "special diet package" and charge an extra $12 or so for each day you have to make a special trip to the store, or take extra time and effort to meet special dietary requests.
Of course, like everything else, the innkeeper is free to make exceptions to the rules and do special things for people just for the service and joy of doing it, but when you have to do something you don't really like to do, you should be paid for it!.
Arkansawyer said:
Of course, like everything else, the innkeeper is free to make exceptions to the rules and do special things for people just for the service and joy of doing it, but when you have to do something you don't really like to do, you should be paid for it!
We were the ones with the "sleep-late package". It would be hard for us to do early check-ins because of the possible overlap. We wouldn't have time to change out the room between a late check-out and early check-in.
One should do what is most profitable. For us, I think we'll get more takers on the "sleep-late" than early check-in.

Bob said:
Lately we have had an increase in early check in requests! Not sure why. Normally it's not a big deal and we are glad to accommodate this. Not so happy on days that we have 5 check outs and 5 check ins and 3 of them are wanting to arrive 2 hours before check in time. We found our selves falling behind (time wise) with making sure everything was ready to go by check in time. So I tried to think of a way to nicely discourage this request! I logged onto our reservation program and made early check in a bookable package!
"This should take care of this little problem! No one will pay $20 bucks to arrive a few hours before normal check in time! Wow was I wrong! I think I'm going to enjoy early check ins now! I have had this option now for 3 days and have already made enough money to cover our house keeper for 2 days!
Oooh I like this one too.
RIki

Of course, like everything else, the innkeeper is free to make exceptions to the rules and do special things for people just for the service and joy of doing it, but when you have to do something you don't really like to do, you should be paid for it!.
This morning I should have had to pay the guests! They made their own coffee, their own toast, read the paper, put all their dishes in the sink and were gone before I was out of my jammies! Although, I did pop out to make sure they had everything they needed (in my jammies) and we stood around, hair sticking out, jammie-clad and had a great time. SO much different from the summer season when guests are chafing if they have to wait 5 minutes for a table or for the coffee to brew.

I like this because we get a lot of it. At least if I had an idea when they wanted to get here, I could plan. It's the surprise bell-ringers at noon and earlier who get me going. Going to give it a try.

If the rooms are ready and you are ready, why not!
If you are doing everything yourselves, that 1/2 hour of sitting and closing your eyes, or showering before check ins is worth ten million dollars! No amount of money in the world could convince me to give up that 1/2 hour of me time.
(My situation here, not anyone else's situation there)
shades_smile.gif

I made it very clear to the guests that early check in was from 1-4. They have to call and reserve their arrival time. I also told them if they reserve a 2 o'clock arrival time and they show up at 6PM they will still be charged for early arrival! I know this is going to happen. Having it as a bookable pkg with online reservations is a nice thing, because they have to agree to the policy and have a copy of it. Proud Texan? I think a late check out is a great idea as well! I would think guest would tend to go past their time on t

I made it very clear to the guests that early check in was from 1-4. They have to call and reserve their arrival time. I also told them if they reserve a 2 o'clock arrival time and they show up at 6PM they will still be charged for early arrival! I know this is going to happen. Having it as a bookable pkg with online reservations is a nice thing, because they have to agree to the policy and have a copy of it. Proud Texan? I think a late check out is a great idea as well! I would think guest would tend to go past their time on this option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set timehis option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set time

If you are doing everything yourselves, that 1/2 hour of sitting and closing your eyes, or showering before check ins is worth ten million dollars! No amount of money in the world could convince me to give up that 1/2 hour of me time.
(My situation here, not anyone else's situation there)
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Most of it is me not being ready. Like you, that precious 1/2 hour of having lunch uninterrupted is sweet. But, if I know they are coming? I know it's an extra $25? I can put the money to good use.

I made it very clear to the guests that early check in was from 1-4. They have to call and reserve their arrival time. I also told them if they reserve a 2 o'clock arrival time and they show up at 6PM they will still be charged for early arrival! I know this is going to happen. Having it as a bookable pkg with online reservations is a nice thing, because they have to agree to the policy and have a copy of it. Proud Texan? I think a late check out is a great idea as well! I would think guest would tend to go past their time on t

I made it very clear to the guests that early check in was from 1-4. They have to call and reserve their arrival time. I also told them if they reserve a 2 o'clock arrival time and they show up at 6PM they will still be charged for early arrival! I know this is going to happen. Having it as a bookable pkg with online reservations is a nice thing, because they have to agree to the policy and have a copy of it. Proud Texan? I think a late check out is a great idea as well! I would think guest would tend to go past their time on this option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set timehis option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set time.
Bob said:
I made it very clear to the guests that early check in was from 1-4. They have to call and reserve their arrival time. I also told them if they reserve a 2 o'clock arrival time and they show up at 6PM they will still be charged for early arrival! I know this is going to happen. Having it as a bookable pkg with online reservations is a nice thing, because they have to agree to the policy and have a copy of it. Proud Texan? I think a late check out is a great idea as well! I would think guest would tend to go past their time on this option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set timehis option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set time
So, far everyone has come to breakfast about 9:30 (instead of our usual 8:30) then they end up leaving about 12 p.m., an hour before checkout. For ALL checkouts, If I don't see them packing up before breakfast or 15 minutes before checkout time, I quite nicely remind them that their checkout time is coming up and that I need them out because I have to flip the room. I think most people think they are going to sleep later than they actually do and that they will want to linger longer than they actually do.
In three years, I only had one couple that were a no show for breakfast and weren't out by 11 a.m. (ahh to be young again!) This was a lemon. We took that lemon and came up with the idea to make lemonade i.e., The Lazy Morning Option. No rather than getting irritated, we make $$.

I made it very clear to the guests that early check in was from 1-4. They have to call and reserve their arrival time. I also told them if they reserve a 2 o'clock arrival time and they show up at 6PM they will still be charged for early arrival! I know this is going to happen. Having it as a bookable pkg with online reservations is a nice thing, because they have to agree to the policy and have a copy of it. Proud Texan? I think a late check out is a great idea as well! I would think guest would tend to go past their time on this option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set timehis option. How much time past normal check out time do you give them? How much do you charge? Do you find them still packing their car after the set time.
Bob said:
So, far everyone has come to breakfast about 9:30 (instead of our usual 8:30) then they end up leaving about 12 p.m., an hour before checkout. For ALL checkouts, If I don't see them packing up before breakfast or 15 minutes before checkout time, I quite nicely remind them that their checkout time is coming up and that I need them out because I have to flip the room. I think most people think they are going to sleep later than they actually do and that they will want to linger longer than they actually do.
In three years, I only had one couple that were a no show for breakfast and weren't out by 11 a.m. (ahh to be young again!) This was a lemon. We took that lemon and came up with the idea to make lemonade i.e., The Lazy Morning Option. No rather than getting irritated, we make $$.
Proud Texan said:
Bob said:
Is this only on Sat or Sunday check outs? Have you had anyone take you up on it midweek?
What about offering breakfast delivered to their door and up the ante on the price? I think you would have a huge number of guests wanting that option, I would.

No way could I have really offered early check-in routinely, even with an upcharge, for the 5 rooms I had. Some of the rooms were large and cleaning them all on my own could sometimes be a real challenge, even to get them ready for the earliest check-in time.
But it sounds like a great idea for you and something for some folks to think about!

Bob said:
Proud Texan said:
Bob said:
Is this only on Sat or Sunday check outs? Have you had anyone take you up on it midweek?
What about offering breakfast delivered to their door and up the ante on the price? I think you would have a huge number of guests wanting that option, I would.
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Bob said:
Most of our business is Thursday - Saturday, which works well for us. We have some specials out there to attract more weekday traffic, but it seems like everything is slowing down in the local economy.
DW and I (you know her as MTATOC) were talking about this thread, and we discussed the choice of a hot home-cooked breakfast that we normally offer OR a continental breakfast in their room as part of the Lazy Morning Option. The potential here is still more perceived value to the guest and actual increased profit to us.
A continental breakfast is easier on DW and If memory serves me correctly, whenever we went away to a Bed & Breakfast on a romantic weekend (many many years ago), the breakfast was incidental.
wink_smile.gif

Our rooms aren't really set up for dining of any kind, so I wouldn't consider a hot breakfast delivered to the rooms.

Back