Do you ever serve donuts?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you or have you ever served homemade donuts? What about begnet? Berry filled or something fresh from the gardens? Churros?
Are we stuck with muffins or cinn rolls/sticky buns as innkeepers or are there other yummy pastries you serve?
I just saw a recipe for pecan donuts which made me WANT ONE BADLY and thought of asking y'all.
Here is a Taste of Home (short cut recipe) http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Berry-Filled-Doughnuts

I haven't, but if I did I'd call it something else.
Beignet works for me!

I've thought about it, but never have because of the fear the grease smell would linger all day and night. A friend gave me a recipe for blackberry fritters that sounds great, but I haven't tried them yet.
My other concern is that anything fried needs to be served warm/hot and that means trying to fry them at the last minute when getting everything else ready for the table/delivery. I don't know how I could swing it.

Homemade doughnuts or beignets would be wonderful, but I'd worry about the deep fat grease too. I have bought pain au chocolate and almond croissants from a vendor at our Market Days and served those on Sunday mornings to our guests. If there was a really good local bakery, I might look to them for some more variety in the baked goods department.

I have served beignets. Enjoyable with a sprinkle of powder sugar.
Something simple and delicious are crescent rolls with nutella or a jam inside. No they are not made from scratch, but I keep crescent rolls on hand and when I need a quick bread I simply roll them out, spread a little nutella (or jam) in side bake as directed and Voila- the guests love them!
Victoria House scones makes a great scone mix and you can prep the batter weeks, even months in advance and put them in the oven as needed.

My schtick is low-fat. I did have a donut maker (like a waffle iron) for a while but never got around to using it so gave it to the rummage sale. It was cake donuts not the good ones.

An alternative is to bake your donuts. King Arthur Flour sells pans and mixes. My son loves 'em!

A good doughnut takes to much work for me. Cream puffs are easy, and can be done with low fat fillings too. LOVE beignet, but not the frying...

We served homemade donuts once and they were a big hit. But they have to be served hot and they are a lot of work. My dh is the one who made them and he was so proud of the way they came out. If we served them again it would have to be if he was willing to do the work. I love beignets but I've never made them. I would also love to make homemade chocolate croissants.

We served homemade donuts once and they were a big hit. But they have to be served hot and they are a lot of work. My dh is the one who made them and he was so proud of the way they came out. If we served them again it would have to be if he was willing to do the work. I love beignets but I've never made them. I would also love to make homemade chocolate croissants..
Poor mans chocolate croissants - use the crescent rolls mentioned above and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips - fresh out of the oven - divine!

I posted this recipe for Almond Kringle. It was much easier than I expected, and a hit. Not doughnuts, but something different than quick or yeast breads.
I think doughnuts would be a HUGE hit here, but I have the same concerns others have mentioned. Serving them warm, deep frying - and draining them. I'm limited on counter space, so I'd need to create a space for draining racks.
I do actually wonder if they really must be served hot. I mean, YEAH, they're incredible that way, but maybe because we try them that way, we forget others might be happy with them room temp (still plenty fresh).

The answer is don't serve anything you would not love yourself. I would enjoy donuts, esp fresh berry filled.

The answer is don't serve anything you would not love yourself. I would enjoy donuts, esp fresh berry filled..
Joey Bloggs said:
The answer is don't serve anything you would not love yourself. I would enjoy donuts, esp fresh berry filled.
So true. Everytime I show a new recipe to Gomez he says, 'Well, I would like that...but I don't think anyone else would.'

We served homemade donuts once and they were a big hit. But they have to be served hot and they are a lot of work. My dh is the one who made them and he was so proud of the way they came out. If we served them again it would have to be if he was willing to do the work. I love beignets but I've never made them. I would also love to make homemade chocolate croissants..
Poor mans chocolate croissants - use the crescent rolls mentioned above and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips - fresh out of the oven - divine!
I love you
heart.gif
, Sue Ellen, but those Pillsbury crescent rolls are not even close to any kind of pain au chocolat or croissants.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Back