Do you ever serve rolls or breads that are not sweet?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just wondering as I am not a sweet eater per se, so do you ever serve breads or rolls for a morning bread option that is not sweet? (Not asking about toast)
Example:
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Taste of Home Baking Book Recipe of the Day: Herb-Swirled Rolls http://ow.ly/6M8Cv[/COLOR]

Have not done this yet. We have just started serving bread as a starter but it has all been 'sweet'. Herb bread sounds great to start an egg dish.

Have not done this yet. We have just started serving bread as a starter but it has all been 'sweet'. Herb bread sounds great to start an egg dish..
Madeleine said:
Have not done this yet. We have just started serving bread as a starter but it has all been 'sweet'. Herb bread sounds great to start an egg dish.
I can imagine a bacon or ham roll or something might be nice too. bacon bacon

English muffin bread is one of my staples. I have made poppyseed muffins and rye muffins once. Not as a staple.

Have not done this yet. We have just started serving bread as a starter but it has all been 'sweet'. Herb bread sounds great to start an egg dish..
Madeleine said:
I can imagine a bacon or ham roll or something might be nice too. bacon bacon
Bacon and cheddar. Someone else did that and I copied out the recipe. That will work when we don't have vegetarians. (Even though a veg today ate bacon. It's the one meat they've told me is the hardest to give up.)

If i do a crisp or cobbler for the fruit dish, I will serve biscuits instead of a sweet muffin/bread.

If you mean as part of the main course, then yes, frequently. I'll often do cheddar scones or herbed buttermilk biscuits instead of toast (plated alongside the egg dish).
If you're asking about the "auxilliary" baked goods, then yes but rarely. I always offer a baked good on the sideboard. Usually sweet -- muffins, sweet loaf, coffee cake, ginger scones. Once in a while I'll do a savoury scone instead. But only if the main course is a sweet breakfast.

Madeleine said:
Just my $0.02, but I would like the herb bread with the egg dish, not before it. If I'm going to have a savoury breakfast, it's nice to satisfy my sweet tooth (and I do have a sweet tooth!) with a muffin or pastry or fruit.

Madeleine said:
Just my $0.02, but I would like the herb bread with the egg dish, not before it. If I'm going to have a savoury breakfast, it's nice to satisfy my sweet tooth (and I do have a sweet tooth!) with a muffin or pastry or fruit.
happyjacks said:
Madeleine said:
Because the sweet breakfasts are all bread=based the only time we serve a bread course is when the entree is eggs. There'a biscuit or toast with the eggs. That means no sweet with an egg dish. I'll have to think about it.

We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore.

We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore..
birdwatcher said:
We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore.
Same here. I do a different variety each morning. Granary, Farmhouse White (this morning), poppy seed, buttermilk, maple and oatmeal.....
It's probably the single thing we get most +ve comments about.

We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore..
birdwatcher said:
Same here. I do a different variety each morning. Granary, Farmhouse White (this morning), poppy seed, buttermilk, maple and oatmeal.....
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Corner bakeries left the USA eons ago, that is what I miss most about Australia, the bread shops! I can smell them now as I type this, I can absolutely guarantee that is a real treat for your guests!
Heck even the desserts like the fresh chocolate almond croissants and vanilla slices - we just don't have that here anymore in the day of the supermarket unless they are high end markets.
When I lived down under grocery stores closed at 6pm and there was Thursday night late night shopping - when everyone went, we did, we had to, after work, I know that has now changed as well. It was the same here in I think the 1950s. There were no 24 hour stores, even my sister in Ireland has the Superquinn now.
Bigger is not necessarily better.

a date with your family can be a truly special occasion, give them something to look back on with fond memories
Family Dinner Etiquette (1950) PSA[/h1]
this is cute (1950's video)

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Corner bakeries left the USA eons ago, that is what I miss most about Australia, the bread shops! I can smell them now as I type this, I can absolutely guarantee that is a real treat for your guests!
Heck even the desserts like the fresh chocolate almond croissants and vanilla slices - we just don't have that here anymore in the day of the supermarket unless they are high end markets.
When I lived down under grocery stores closed at 6pm and there was Thursday night late night shopping - when everyone went, we did, we had to, after work, I know that has now changed as well. It was the same here in I think the 1950s. There were no 24 hour stores, even my sister in Ireland has the Superquinn now.
Bigger is not necessarily better.
I make my own, baked fresh in the morning. Home made always goes down well.
We had someone stay recently who couldn't beleive that we make our own jams and marmalades. Like it was some black ritual that could only be performed in the factory of a multi-national. Most bizzare!

Yes, not every day, but yes. Options include a sourdough loaf, with spreads (usually butter, honey butter, white chocolate peanut butter, and a fruit spread); biscuits (not standard southern biscuits, more like a pumpkin based biscuit).
I have made meat kolaches, which are very popular in this region (sort of an ethnic pig in a blanket, except they taste better). NO ONE touched them. For me, they are too pricey to throw away (DH isn't fond and 2 of my 3 kids can't eat the brioche dough because of the butter and if I ate them leftover, I wouldn't fit through the door...). So, I just don't offer them any more.

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
My most asked question after breakfast is a tentative, "can we have the rest of our bread to take with us?" (Each person gets their own 3x5 loaf pan loaf of bread.)

Yes, not every day, but yes. Options include a sourdough loaf, with spreads (usually butter, honey butter, white chocolate peanut butter, and a fruit spread); biscuits (not standard southern biscuits, more like a pumpkin based biscuit).
I have made meat kolaches, which are very popular in this region (sort of an ethnic pig in a blanket, except they taste better). NO ONE touched them. For me, they are too pricey to throw away (DH isn't fond and 2 of my 3 kids can't eat the brioche dough because of the butter and if I ate them leftover, I wouldn't fit through the door...). So, I just don't offer them any more..
Red Handed Jill said:
I have made meat kolaches, which are very popular in this region (sort of an ethnic pig in a blanket, except they taste better). NO ONE touched them. For me, they are too pricey to throw away (DH isn't fond and 2 of my 3 kids can't eat the brioche dough because of the butter and if I ate them leftover, I wouldn't fit through the door...). So, I just don't offer them any more.
Popular staple in Australia are sausage rolls. I have made them for the family, but not guests. Although they might enjoy them, if I give them the Aussie info. Of course, getting back to those bakeries, they made the best! mmm
here they are with meat pies, another Aussie staple.
Pie%20and%20Sausage%20Roll%20Group%20Shot.JPG

I have made meat kolaches, which are very popular in this region (sort of an ethnic pig in a blanket, except they taste better). NO ONE touched them. For me, they are too pricey to throw away (DH isn't fond and 2 of my 3 kids can't eat the brioche dough because of the butter and if I ate them leftover, I wouldn't fit through the door...). So, I just don't offer them any more..
Red Handed Jill said:
Popular staple in Australia are sausage rolls. I have made them for the family, but not guests. Although they might enjoy them, if I give them the Aussie info. Of course, getting back to those bakeries, they made the best! mmm
here they are with meat pies, another Aussie staple.
Pie%20and%20Sausage%20Roll%20Group%20Shot.JPG

Maybe I need to start making pepperoni rolls...

Back