Do you give away your secrets to guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Ike wrote " It's all a hard day's work! Unless I want the guests to try something at home, then I'll tell them the shortcut!"
Is this something that has changed over time, or depending on mood or guest inquiry?
I suppose we make it all look so easy that they can do it at home just as easy? Or is it a compliment they are giving by asking, feeling if they ask then we will be flattered?

I have always been very open with recipe shortcuts, to the point of listing the recipes on my blog. In some cases, I just want guests to make a nice breakfast for themselves at home, which many don't do except on Sunday, by telling them how easy it really can be. I also let them know that even if they do make it at home it won't taste the same (they say, 'Aha! You're going to leave something out of the recipe aren't you?') because what is different is being on vacation and being really relaxed. Eye opener.
I keep the guests pretty up-to-date on all the little things we do so they know we're moving forward. New guests always want to know if we bought it like this or did it all ourselves. I will tell them how much we did ourselves, what's upcoming and even what color paint I used if they want to use it at home. (It's the kitchen paint they love. I get more compliments on that color than any other color in the house.)
However, this past year, like I told Michael, I am no longer throwing it out there without being asked. Because if it looks too easy guests won't appreciate it as much. Another reason to throw a sprig of parsley on the plate- presentation is half the flavor!
I've never liked being rebuffed when asking for a recipe or a 'how-to'. None of my recipes are my own, all of them are copied from someone else. I'm not creative in the kitchen.
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of creative work in the rooms this year. What I am not going to do, if asked, is say, 'That? That's so easy, it took me 30 minutes!' Nope. I am going to tell guests it was a lot of work! Even if it took 30 minutes. But I will share how to do it if asked.

I hear ya JB!! No, I don't give it up. I once had the men in the group beg for my chicken salad recipe and I would not give it up.

It depends. If it's a recipe that I searched high and low for, tested a dozen times to get it just right, then no. Or if it's my own recipe I don't usually share that. However, if it's a recipe that I found and is great just the way it is then yes, I will share it.

I would agree on recipes, if it is something extra super secret then I might say no, but most of what we use is tried and tested recipes that are out there so I'm happy to share. I print them out on our letterhead so at least it's a gentle prod when they make the recipe "Oh yeah, remember that great stay we had there?"
I'm really mad at MYSELF for not having done a cookbook already...it would be so nice when someone asks for a recipe to say "Yes, it's right there in the cookbook that we sell". I will admit I get offended when they start asking for EVERY single recipe if they are a multi night stay, but then again if I had the cookbook done up I wouldn't get upset I'd make a few bucks!

I would agree on recipes, if it is something extra super secret then I might say no, but most of what we use is tried and tested recipes that are out there so I'm happy to share. I print them out on our letterhead so at least it's a gentle prod when they make the recipe "Oh yeah, remember that great stay we had there?"
I'm really mad at MYSELF for not having done a cookbook already...it would be so nice when someone asks for a recipe to say "Yes, it's right there in the cookbook that we sell". I will admit I get offended when they start asking for EVERY single recipe if they are a multi night stay, but then again if I had the cookbook done up I wouldn't get upset I'd make a few bucks!.
There's your project for when you're not straight out busy!

I'm really mad at MYSELF for not having done a cookbook already...it would be so nice when someone asks for a recipe to say "Yes, it's right there in the cookbook that we sell". I will admit I get offended when they start asking for EVERY single recipe if they are a multi night stay, but then again if I had the cookbook done up I wouldn't get upset I'd make a few bucks!.
I know, I just need to get serious about it. It keeps getting shuffled to the bottom of the list. I don't even think it will be all THAT difficult, just lots of data entry which I am fortunately fairly good at. Next week we are finally painting the last staircase ceiling after five years. Will feel good to be DONE with that.

Laugh! There are no real secrets, just personalities.
O.K. DW in the cooking school does elaborate handouts with recipies, posts recipies and emails. Her motto is "no secrets, I teach". I am helping in a class and present my bake from scratch delicious (yeast) dinner rolls as a mini-snack and I say, "but I'm not telling." Woah. So over the course of the class a few questions ... the little brown bits are the skin of the baked potato I put in ... the nutty smell is from macademia nut oil brushed on .. they are vegan, that's oatmeal there ... And at the end of the evening, one woman triumphantly says, "I bet I know how to make these rolls, just from the clues!" So a bit of theater.
People want imaginary secrets they can discover.

I know, I just need to get serious about it. It keeps getting shuffled to the bottom of the list. I don't even think it will be all THAT difficult, just lots of data entry which I am fortunately fairly good at. Next week we are finally painting the last staircase ceiling after five years. Will feel good to be DONE with that.
believe me I know and have to do the top landing here cos the outlet from the hot water tank froze so the hot water outlet tank thing bulged and water leaked over the top which then spilled down the wall and it has made a stain on the ceiling. So it will need a coat of special stain paint and then we will have to paint the whole ceiling to make it match. I was going to do it anyway as there is a loft hatch and some of the lining paper round it has split so looks like a crack in the ceiling so I want to get it sorted hopefully the first week of Feb as we are quiet then. what a pain!

Back