Do you give guests your cell phone number?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Do you give guests your cell phone number as a matter of course? Is it in your room books?
Jay saw a sign in a men's room to text any problems etc with this rest room and thinks it would be a great idea for innkeepers.
I disagree. There is no way I want a guest to have my cell number. I think of some of the guests posted about here. Uh- no way, Jose. I get 100 texts a month with my service. Any more costs my son more and I think he pays enough. Even If was paying for it, I think I am 24/7 enough already. I do not want someone calling me after they leave - especvially if they have decided we are "friends".

Never! If I leave the property, I forward the inn's phone to my cell. The voice mail message I have on the cell is the same as the main phone number. If I'm out of cell range, the guest can leave a message and not know it's actually on my cell phone.
My friends and family all know my cell, but I would never give it to a guest.

Only if we're away from the lodge while we have guests. We leave a note saying we're out running errands or dinner and then give our cell number. Been doing it for years and only one regular guest kept the number in their phone. (yes they were a PITA) but not a bad record for as many times as we've left our number available to guests.

I have done before (no weirdos as yet) but I leave the inn's phone number as if I am out it is diverted to my mobile.

Never! If I leave the property, I forward the inn's phone to my cell. The voice mail message I have on the cell is the same as the main phone number. If I'm out of cell range, the guest can leave a message and not know it's actually on my cell phone.
My friends and family all know my cell, but I would never give it to a guest..
Breakfast Diva said:
If I leave the property, I forward the inn's phone to my cell.
Ditto.

Many people only use their cell phones for business. Or when they are out doing errands etc have the home phone forwarded. I only use my cell phone for me and my family..so I would never give it out. But if you want to be in touch with your guests...that's what you need to do....Up to the individual.

We do because of the wine tours. We still pick up anywhere in town and I want them to be able to contact me if they are going to be late getting to their hotel/B&B. We have not had any problems with this - but I use my cell for business only.
RIki

We converted our main number into a mobile phone. So, guests have our number. There are no charges for incoming texts and we have a plan that offers unlimited outgoing, including international. We have unlimited incoming calls. And we have unlimited forwarding. We generally have the phone set to forward to our landline.
Since we decided to limit check-in hours it's been great to be able to send the guest check-in instructions in text. Check emails, etc.

That is what I do now - forward the phone. I do have the cell number on the answering machine in case I was out - but the answering machine no longer answers unless I forget to forward the phone. One good thing from the phone stuff when I was in Europe - I now have call forwarding and USE it!

Only if we're away from the lodge while we have guests. We leave a note saying we're out running errands or dinner and then give our cell number. Been doing it for years and only one regular guest kept the number in their phone. (yes they were a PITA) but not a bad record for as many times as we've left our number available to guests..
Baygirl said:
Only if we're away from the lodge while we have guests. We leave a note saying we're out running errands or dinner and then give our cell number. Been doing it for years and only one regular guest kept the number in their phone. (yes they were a PITA) but not a bad record for as many times as we've left our number available to guests.
Ditto

Mine is on the front door as an emergency contact. I get about a call a month when someone can't get in etc. But the regular number is right above and my partner the innkeeper answers that one. But still, I doubt people would abuse it. Lots of folks have unlimited text so especially younger people tend to think of that as free to you. So while they think a ten text conversation is being polite as it is "free", it could drive you nuts.

Most phone plans allow adding an additional phone to the plan for not much additional money. Would there be any benefit to getting a second line with one of the free basic phones they offer, just for use by your business?
You'd have to carry the business phone when you're out and around, but the basic ones can be pretty light weight and tiny so it might be a reasonable workaround where you can keep your personal number private and still have a number you can give out for business use.

I only have a cell phone got rid of the land line in Febuary and it is working out really good! Wish I would of just had the cell phone when we started 2 years ago.

I ditto BD - forward buz phone to cell. It just keeps things simple for the guest - one number.
Once recently I sent this one guy a text as he was going to be a late arrival and needed the code... I thought gee wonder why I had not thought of that before.. how easy!
What a mistake! Received emails the entire time they were - "we'll be down for breakfast in 10", 'we are heading out for the day...' even had a txt after they left, but the one that really got me was a txt after midnight telling me they would be leaving really early, so sleep in.
Nope, won't be doing that again.

Mine is on the front door as an emergency contact. I get about a call a month when someone can't get in etc. But the regular number is right above and my partner the innkeeper answers that one. But still, I doubt people would abuse it. Lots of folks have unlimited text so especially younger people tend to think of that as free to you. So while they think a ten text conversation is being polite as it is "free", it could drive you nuts..
I have unlimited free text and sometimes use it to let guests know in an unobtrusive way that their room is ready (ie if we are ready early) so I hope it prods them to come early and I can get everyone in! however no one has ever abused it.

No, except those that have adopted me as family. I forward my phone to my cell if I leave the house and my cell does not announce the cell number

My cell is our business number. Do not like when they call land line as most of the time only telemarketers call us on that one.

Our landline is transferred to the cell 100% of the time. The cell company is MUCH more reliable, so we prefer that they phone the cell. The only reason we have the landline is for the internet-otherwise we'd dump it.
I turn the ringer off at 7pm (unless we have a SCHEDLED late arrival). Family have my husband's cell # for after hours emergencies &/or I'll pick up (obviously) a family/friend if I'm by the cell later & see the caller.

I saw that post. Here's what I think- I'm on 24x7 as it is. Giving guests the ability to text me from their room, in their jammies (or less) that they need a towel is too much. Actually having to get up, come downstairs, ring the bell makes the guest think 'do I really need that right now?' Having a 'butler' they can simply text a msg to at any hour? No thanks.
PLUS, the whole idea states kind of plainly that I need to have the cellphone IN the bed with me just in case. When I shut down the computer at 9 PM, I am 'off duty' unless it is an emergency.
If you really need something, come downstairs, ring the bell and let me know. Don't even call the inn phone because I don't answer it after 9 PM.
A lot of ideas work if you are not already stretched to the absolute max. I actually NEED the downtime from 9 PM to 7 AM.

Back