Do you give repeat guests perks?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Any kind of perk? Reduced rate? Gift on arrival? The ability to cancel without penalty? Booking a single night on a minimum night weekend? Free upgrade?
If it is something that may be obvious to another guest- one night stay or maybe breakfast in the room when that is not something everyone gets- do you care what other guests say? Do you have an 'answer' for people who demand the same treatment?
We do a fair amount of 'catering' to our repeat guests and we do get called on it by guests who can't get the same 'perk' with a single stay once in their lifetime. I have come to think that telling the whiners that what they are seeing is a perk of a long-time relationship is the way to go.
What do you do?

Madeleine said:
Any kind of perk? Reduced rate? Gift on arrival? The ability to cancel without penalty? Booking a single night on a minimum night weekend? Free upgrade?
If it is something that may be obvious to another guest- one night stay or maybe breakfast in the room when that is not something everyone gets- do you care what other guests say? Do you have an 'answer' for people who demand the same treatment?
We do a fair amount of 'catering' to our repeat guests and we do get called on it by guests who can't get the same 'perk' with a single stay once in their lifetime. I have come to think that telling the whiners that what they are seeing is a perk of a long-time relationship is the way to go.
What do you do?
This is where InnRewards.com will come in handy as well. If you tell your guests about it. They will book from this site and you will have a great tool to keep them coming back!
The site is almost finished. I hope to launch it this week. But for your question, we do extra little things for loyal guests.

Never been called on it, but we are very careful with most of those perks. For example, the discount that we give is never asked for or demanded, we just give it silently and send a new confirmation. If I do upgrade someone, it's based on room rate, longevity of the reservation and of course our convenience.
We do sprinkle a few of my confections around. Sometimes it's for special occasions and sometimes it's simply because we appreciate someone. I actually made some larger ones that I can now write on with a food pen, so we can make them special for the occasion.
We show the most appreciation of our frequent guests by remembering them and by treating them like family. Going out of the way to make something they like, suggest something new or even just having the room ready the way they like.

Never been called on it, but we are very careful with most of those perks. For example, the discount that we give is never asked for or demanded, we just give it silently and send a new confirmation. If I do upgrade someone, it's based on room rate, longevity of the reservation and of course our convenience.
We do sprinkle a few of my confections around. Sometimes it's for special occasions and sometimes it's simply because we appreciate someone. I actually made some larger ones that I can now write on with a food pen, so we can make them special for the occasion.
We show the most appreciation of our frequent guests by remembering them and by treating them like family. Going out of the way to make something they like, suggest something new or even just having the room ready the way they like..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We show the most appreciation of our frequent guests by remembering them and by treating them like family. Going out of the way to make something they like, suggest something new or even just having the room ready the way they like.
I'm with you on that one. The first-timers will see that we have such a great rapport with the returners. We make sure to remember their preferences, talk about the last time they were here. Might give free upgrade, but frankly most already have a favorite room and upgrading them wouldn't really be seen as a positive thing becauase they'd be in an unfamiliar room.
We sometimes give them free drink coozies or hand-deliver warm cookies to their room or sometimes we can hook them up with a freebie or special with one of the downtown restaurants if we really like them.

We show the most appreciation of our frequent guests by remembering them and by treating them like family. Going out of the way to make something they like, suggest something new or even just having the room ready the way they like..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We do sprinkle a few of my confections around.
Reminded me of affection, and I was going to say "Don't wear them on your sleeve" haha

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Reminded me of affection, and I was going to say "Don't wear them on your sleeve" haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm actually starting to get well known for them. A lot more reservations now include an order for them in the room.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm actually starting to get well known for them. A lot more reservations now include an order for them in the room.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You will have to come up with a special name for them, if you haven't already.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I do. But I figured saying them online would give away my identity too much. My blog even has pictures and so does my facebook page. I know some of the members on here called them "cookies" but they are considered a confectionary.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I do. But I figured saying them online would give away my identity too much. My blog even has pictures and so does my facebook page. I know some of the members on here called them "cookies" but they are considered a confectionary.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Excellent!
I tried the "Blue Ridge Burger" at a laker restaurant, only to find NO BLEU cheese, I felt sure it would have that on it! What a let down. I ended up ordering jalapenos to give it some flavor and zest. I wanted it as I am in the process of finding a dish to ADD blue cheese to (other than quiche) to make it a house signature dish. I have not gone any further with it...

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I would totally ADD that on as well. Nice.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Excellent!
I tried the "Blue Ridge Burger" at a laker restaurant, only to find NO BLEU cheese, I felt sure it would have that on it! What a let down. I ended up ordering jalapenos to give it some flavor and zest. I wanted it as I am in the process of finding a dish to ADD blue cheese to (other than quiche) to make it a house signature dish. I have not gone any further with it...
Reminds me of a restaurant around here that has a British Burger... with Swiss cheese on it. Yes, Swiss cheese. Not cheddar, not stilton... swiss. Not very British.
It reminds me of all those shepherd's pies made from beef. Really? A shepherd herds cows?

Madeleine said:
What do you do?
This is where InnRewards.com will come in handy as well. If you tell your guests about it. They will book from this site and you will have a great tool to keep them coming back!
The site is almost finished. I hope to launch it this week. But for your question, we do extra little things for loyal guests..
I am STILL without my computer!!!!!!!

I was just thinking about this the other day. I was considering putting up a wall of hooks to hold coffee mugs and there would be a little tag with the regular guest's name on it, identifying that mug as theirs to use while they're here. Doesn't really cost anything.
What do ya think?

We offered a discount to return guests. We had some folks return for another similar event and gave them the discount (which was really not different from the discount we offered to that group of guests). :) I also left them notes/cards in the room for when they checked in welcoming them back!
We also had a biz rate which was a pretty good discount on the rack rate, so I didn't discount that more for repeats. They knew that they were getting a good deal!

I was just thinking about this the other day. I was considering putting up a wall of hooks to hold coffee mugs and there would be a little tag with the regular guest's name on it, identifying that mug as theirs to use while they're here. Doesn't really cost anything.
What do ya think?.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
What do ya think?
You can write on the bottom of the mug with indelible pen (all different colors). They do this at a local bar with the beer mugs. Works well.

Not a formal policy. As far as I am concerned, first time guests are as special as anyone, but we have been getting a lot of repeat guests (we are starting year 4) and their understanding of us and what we have to offer means that they get special treatment on their own terms. For example, a guest will return with a plan for a fairly elaborate family reunion (a ton of work and a ton of fun for me), a barbeque, or request a wine tasting, or invite friends for breakfast.

I have a lot of guests that come for a particular event every year - i make sure they have priority booking get the best rooms and rates - I also remind them when the dates for it are and what rooms the need and so on.

We give repeat guests their 10th night free. Not something we advertise but I nice gesture of appreciation.

I have a lot of guests that come for a particular event every year - i make sure they have priority booking get the best rooms and rates - I also remind them when the dates for it are and what rooms the need and so on..
We do this too. Hadn't thought about it earlier. We usually don't take reservations for the next year until Jan 1st, but with the regulars (Chili Cookoff Budw eiser Rep, Arts in the Park jewelry vendor, etc) we always make sure their dates & their favorite room are reserved for them with no deposits needed. That definitely makes them feel special.

I have a lot of guests that come for a particular event every year - i make sure they have priority booking get the best rooms and rates - I also remind them when the dates for it are and what rooms the need and so on..
We do this too. Hadn't thought about it earlier. We usually don't take reservations for the next year until Jan 1st, but with the regulars (Chili Cookoff Budw eiser Rep, Arts in the Park jewelry vendor, etc) we always make sure their dates & their favorite room are reserved for them with no deposits needed. That definitely makes them feel special.
K9 said:
Not wanting to tell you how to do things, but why wait until Jan when you know you can fill up before then? I try to keep my booking calendar at least open for a year from this month. If I know I have repeats who always take a particular room on the same weekend, I pencil them in. Then their room is ready for next year when they check out this year. If they can't make it next year, I still have a year to fill that spot.
(Of course I just looked and I'm behind schedule... I will take phone calls for next year, give them this year's rate and pop them in even tho they can't make the rez themselves. Because I'm behind schedule!)

Back