Do you have a 'candy bowl' in the inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you have a centrally-located candy bowl in the inn? Not candy placed in guest rooms or on pillows, just a bowl somewhere with chocolates or other candy?
If you do, a couple of questions...what kind of candy do you have out (chocolates, hard candy, etc)? About how much do you think it costs? If you can calc this, how much by piece?
I ask because I'm thinking of getting this really good chocolate candy that the local wine store has to put in the inn. It is definitely 'grown up' chocolate with flavors like Earl Grey and orange slice. But, it's a lot more expensive per piece (even wholesale) than something like Hershey kisses would be.

I used to, but gave it up. I've had too many people dump the whole dish into their handbag or pockets. I might as well open the front door and toss money outside.
icon_eek.gif

Mushed chocolate on your comforter sets and sheets is no fun either.

Yes, we have it right next to the cookie platter. We generally go for stuff that is a cut or two above hershey kisses but still individually wrapped single servings.
It can't be too good, otherwise I get just too tempted every time I walk by. LOL
I really like those filled Dove truffles. I think Hershey's has a line named "treasures" or something like it.
We've found the more expensive or exclusive brand we put out, the more single guests horde them and make a pig out of themselves.
A little better than average and folks take a few and seem to remember that there are others staying here also and everything we provide in a common area is meant to be shared.
I keep telling the much better half to not bake so well, but needless to say, there usually aren't many cookies left on the platter when I go in to shut off excess lights at 11:00 before bed.

Yes, and the candy goes stale before it is all eaten. I rarely buy it, it is on the desk in the foyer.
#1 Smarties
#2 Jolly ranchers
#3 some times bubble gum or dum dum suckers
Chocolates in rooms, so sour and tart candy for other times. Around Halloween I buy all the indiv mini packs and have a huge assortment.

I have a candy bowl on a table in the entry filled with Jolly Ranchers. I won a nice amethyst Fenton glass bowl at our last state conference so I use that. I've had one or two guests almost empty it; I don't refill it very quickly if I notice that. It does really annoy me to find the wrappers out on the sidewalk. Litterbugs
angry_smile.gif
We put Ghiradelli chocolates in the rooms, just one per person. Sometimes there are chocolate spots on the sheets but they come out.

i had a candy bowl in the guest library with inexpensive candy in it ~ the good stuff was metered out in the guest rooms ~ on a little stainless tray or in a tiny porcelain bowl (no chocolate mess). because when i had 'good stuff ' in the library, i had purse dumpers (folks who grab all the candy they can fit in their mouths, fists, purses and pockets) it was just too expensive.
as a guest, i
heart.gif
appreciated the treats in the library and the special ones in my room.
if you have purse dumpers, all the guests might not get some of the good candy!
sad_smile.gif
some might never know you put it out there.

i had a candy bowl in the guest library with inexpensive candy in it ~ the good stuff was metered out in the guest rooms ~ on a little stainless tray or in a tiny porcelain bowl (no chocolate mess). because when i had 'good stuff ' in the library, i had purse dumpers (folks who grab all the candy they can fit in their mouths, fists, purses and pockets) it was just too expensive.
as a guest, i
heart.gif
appreciated the treats in the library and the special ones in my room.
if you have purse dumpers, all the guests might not get some of the good candy!
sad_smile.gif
some might never know you put it out there..
Right now I have about 2 lbs of Hershey kisses in the bowl. 5 of the guest rooms have to walk by it but it doesn't get emptied all that quickly. They don't like kisses? Not big chocoholics? Too cheap of a chocolate? I had one guy ask me to move the bowl because it was right outside his door.
Given we don't have (haven't had) purse dumpers (that should be in the glossary) I might just give the 'good stuff' a try.
I noticed all the cookies are gone...half pnut butter with a kiss, half just pnut butter.
I figured the kisses are 5 cents each (based on there being about 120 in a bag and the bag costing about $6. The new chocs would be 11 cents each and wouldn't weigh quite as much. But, a little of that would go a long way.
Maybe I'll just clean out the wine shop, see how fast they go and then decide if I want to order them wholesale or not.

We have gumball machines in each room (with pennies provided), and chocolates (almond roca) on the nightstands.
In the kitchen is a glass domed dish of peanut butter cookies (cuz if I made chocolate chip I'd eat them all myself).
On the mantle over the fireplace we have a large (more than 12" across) cut glass bowl full of Hershey kisses. I fill it about once a year. It doesn't seem to go down that quickly, and I suspect dh is one of the major consumers. We haven't had any purse dumpers, but some guests definitely hit the bowl more than others.
And yes, that needs to go in the glossary!
=)
Kk.

haha ... p dumpers, pdumps (for purse or pocket) pd's (is there a pd?)
well, you were asked to move them so the occupants of the room didn't gorge on them. yumm.
some people love only dark chocolate, some only milk (like me) ... so a little of each in room is nice.
i have this fear of leaving hard candy, worrying that it's a choke hazard (paranoia?)

We just have a bowl of starlight mints by the door, the only time it gets cleaned out is during weddings. We did have someone strategically hide the wrappers behind some brochures (the brochures were upright leaning against the wall on a table, with the wrappers behind) instead of walking the 5 feet to the trash can....
rolleyes.gif

We just had a big bowl of starlight mints...or some other individually wrapped hard candy. That's it. Wouldn't spend more than that.

well, you were asked to move them so the occupants of the room didn't gorge on them. yumm.
some people love only dark chocolate, some only milk (like me) ... so a little of each in room is nice.
i have this fear of leaving hard candy, worrying that it's a choke hazard (paranoia?).
seashanty said:
i have this fear of leaving hard candy, worrying that it's a choke hazard (paranoia?
I have jolly ranchers for sentimental reasons - my father always has a bowl of them in his home office. I haven't considered them a choking hazard - thanks for giving me something else to worry about! I remember accidentally swallowing one whole when I was young and drinking water to dissolve it faster and move it along. Nobody knew about the Heimlich manuever then.

We have some candy bowls throughout the common areas of the house, in addition to individual rooms.
It's funny - I find that the candy gets snatched up more by DW's piano students and people coming through the house on tours than our overnight guests.
regular_smile.gif

i have this fear of leaving hard candy, worrying that it's a choke hazard (paranoia?).
seashanty said:
i have this fear of leaving hard candy, worrying that it's a choke hazard (paranoia?)
You aren't running a preschool. Put a note beside them "no eating candy and having fun or laughing at the same time"
confused_smile.gif

I have a replica of the Henry Clay punch bowl (3 were made at Sweeney Brothers Glass house in Wheeling as a thank you for the National Road). One made for one of the Sweeney brothers is on display in Wheeling - it is 5 ft tall with lid, weighs 450 lbs., and is a combo of cut and blown glass - and mine sits on top of the bookcase in the upstairs hall. My little replica is filled with Werthers, toffees, and some other good hard candy and there is another little dish of something next to it. People rarely take them. I also have small bowls with a variety of Hersey's kisses, Bliss, and Dove squares tht I cannot remember the name of on the dresser in each room. They do not empty rapidly either.
If I have couples, as in today the couple that got engaged here are returning, I put silk rose petls on the bed and toss Hershey kisses there also. If one remarks about how nice that is, I just say Lovers need kisses.
Edited to add: the last two honeymoons took all rose petals and kisses.

I used to do Jolly Ranchers and Starlight Mints, but they didn't get eaten. Now I have a bowl of Wintergreen Lifesavers, each individually wrapped, bought in bulk at our foodservice company's store. A big big hit and inexpensive!
Edited to add: Hot summer days with high humidity wreaked havoc on JR and SM. I ended up throwing away far more than were ever eaten. The lifesavers are always eaten, and the humidity has no effect..no sticky-stuck-to-the-wrapper mess, ever!

We have mints for the beds and each room has a unique bowl with "Spring Mix" from costco. It's a variety of hard candies individually wrapped. People do eat these a lot in their room, but what happens is they eat all the "good" ones and leave all the mints.
We also have an endless cookie jar with our signature cookies in our beverage area and a big jar of Red Vines. The cookies are devoured and the Red Vines we have to replenish a few times a year.

seashanty said:
You aren't running a preschool. Put a note beside them "no eating candy and having fun or laughing at the same time"
confused_smile.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
okay ~ i wasn't going to put a damper on the forum. called it my own paranoia as in, guess i'm being silly ... but i still wanted to put the warning out there.
but as you had to post a bit of snark about innkeepers not running a preschool, i'll explain. had a sweet, elderly aunt choke on hard candy. ridiculous but true. would be a joke except she died. alone. at home.
'nuff said.

seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
okay ~ i wasn't going to put a damper on the forum. called it my own paranoia as in, guess i'm being silly ... but i still wanted to put the warning out there.
but as you had to post a bit of snark about innkeepers not running a preschool, i'll explain. had a sweet, elderly aunt choke on hard candy. ridiculous but true. would be a joke except she died. alone. at home.
'nuff said.
seashanty said:
Joe Bloggs said:
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
'nuff said.
I also know someone who died from choking on a hard candy, they were in a car as a passenger and fell asleep with it in their mouth. A friend's sister, she was 37 years old.
I also know that the stats show on average 100 people choke to death on a ball point pen. Must we remove all pens as well?

I keep seeing how many folks offer peanut butter cookies regularly.
How often does the peanut allergic guest request something else?

Back