Do you have a press (media) kit on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumitru

Reaction score
I wonder how many of you (especially in the US) actually provide press kits (press packages) to your visitors and any interested parties.
To simplify, a press package is like a brochure, minus all the fancy talk. Facts, figures and photos.
You might find this interesting (if I'm crossing the line, please feel free to delete the post or just the link):
http://www.hermesthemes.com/hotel-press-media-kits-help-get-publicity/

I think it's a great idea. I've never gotten around to it. Thanks for the info.

I agree. Good idea, and why not. Other than finding a little time to put it together and add it to the website. I'm glad the article suggests what info and format to include.

I post links to the press/blog coverage I have had on the Pres button on my web site.

Another thing to add to my to do list! just had good photo's done so its an excellent time

I'm glad you found the article useful :)
Some years ago I was running some travel directories and it was a real pain in the pooper to sometimes find the right information on hotel websites. The most ridiculous thing was when there was a script on the website blocking the right click of a mouse, so as not to copy their photos... Those websites were going into the trash immediately.
And now that I think about, a press kit would be lovely on many occasions. That was the inspiration for the article :)

Dumi, I would love to share an example that immediately springs to mind. I remembered seeing the media page years and years ago and it impressed me. The photography, the blogging, the personality of this innkeeper has made her one of my all time favorites for the last decade of innkeeping. Her press list was not as extensive, but I think because of it now it has grown.

On my to-do list. It's shameful I don't have one, since that's what I used to do for a living!

How do you put various sizes online for someone to download, ie 2.94mb showing a thumbnail with the download button?

How do you put various sizes online for someone to download, ie 2.94mb showing a thumbnail with the download button?.
JBloggs said:
How do you put various sizes online for someone to download, ie 2.94mb showing a thumbnail with the download button?
It really depends on the medium that you decide to use. Many simply make a .zip package with their photos, and if there are too many photos - simply create multiple .zips: interiors.zip, outside.zip, restaurant.zip, etc.
Some create interactive galleries with download buttons for each photo, pick what best works for you.

Dumi, I would love to share an example that immediately springs to mind. I remembered seeing the media page years and years ago and it impressed me. The photography, the blogging, the personality of this innkeeper has made her one of my all time favorites for the last decade of innkeeping. Her press list was not as extensive, but I think because of it now it has grown..
Yes, the Media page looks great, even if it doesn't provide downloadable media (I didn't spot any).
But I guess the About page also fills in some blanks.

How do you put various sizes online for someone to download, ie 2.94mb showing a thumbnail with the download button?.
JBloggs said:
It really depends on the medium that you decide to use. Many simply make a .zip package with their photos, and if there are too many photos - simply create multiple .zips: interiors.zip, outside.zip, restaurant.zip, etc.
Some create interactive galleries with download buttons for each photo, pick what best works for you.
I wanted to say thank you for this kick in the ...
Interesting to dig up the old articles and media, of course some of them online have expired domains now, and I wished that I had taken a screen print, pdf or digital camera shot of them.
I am sharing this for those who do not keep a media file near their desk, some of us used to and then got lazy, take photos of the spread if you have one, links, and more. Print them out for later use. You never know.
It is pretty fun to find all the old stuff, not easy to find much of it, in fact I woke up from my sleep remembering a book I was quoted in (a fair amount) and fortunately since I blog I was able to search the blog and find it. I couldn't even remember the name of it!
BTW the inquiries I have had from media have been from the blog as it comes up in google searches, so this is my reminder to those of you who blog, blog more! Have a good day snowbound and unsnowbound innmates.

JBloggs said:
Interesting to dig up the old articles and media, of course some of them online have expired domains now, and I wished that I had taken a screen print, pdf or digital camera shot of them.
I am sharing this for those who do not keep a media file near their desk, some of us used to and then got lazy, take photos of the spread if you have one, links, and more. Print them out for later use. You never know.
It is pretty fun to find all the old stuff, not easy to find much of it, in fact I woke up from my sleep remembering a book I was quoted in (a fair amount) and fortunately since I blog I was able to search the blog and find it. I couldn't even remember the name of it!
BTW the inquiries I have had from media have been from the blog as it comes up in google searches, so this is my reminder to those of you who blog, blog more! Have a good day snowbound and unsnowbound innmates.
Indeed, keeping tangible (printed) copies of media mentions is a good way to remember the "old days".
Something might seem unimportant today, but 2-3-5 years from now, when that paper, blog or blogger becomes an overnight hit, you might want to bask in its glory.
This summer my family and I were on a trip in Italy (Tuscany), and we went to a very famous winery in the region. Expensive wines, expensive everything, top-notch quality.
I was surprised (and disappointed) at the time that at their entrance, the reception area, they had a wall full of cheap prints of media mentions. One of them was a black and white print of a screen-shot from a website (CNN) I think, an article about President Obama gifting a bottle of wine from this winery to John Boehner for his birthday.
So I thought to myself: "oh wow, they can't even print the screenshot on a color printer".
But now that I think about it - a simple black and white print attracted my attention on the wall, among all the medals and other stuff. And even if the site goes down - they still have a small, "retro" memory to share with visitors.
So don't worry if you don't ornament your memories with gold and bells, a simple printed A4 paper will often be sufficient.
Sorry for the long story :)

JBloggs said:
Indeed, keeping tangible (printed) copies of media mentions is a good way to remember the "old days".
Something might seem unimportant today, but 2-3-5 years from now, when that paper, blog or blogger becomes an overnight hit, you might want to bask in its glory.
This summer my family and I were on a trip in Italy (Tuscany), and we went to a very famous winery in the region. Expensive wines, expensive everything, top-notch quality.
I was surprised (and disappointed) at the time that at their entrance, the reception area, they had a wall full of cheap prints of media mentions. One of them was a black and white print of a screen-shot from a website (CNN) I think, an article about President Obama gifting a bottle of wine from this winery to John Boehner for his birthday.
So I thought to myself: "oh wow, they can't even print the screenshot on a color printer".
But now that I think about it - a simple black and white print attracted my attention on the wall, among all the medals and other stuff. And even if the site goes down - they still have a small, "retro" memory to share with visitors.
So don't worry if you don't ornament your memories with gold and bells, a simple printed A4 paper will often be sufficient.
Our first magazine mention is framed in full color in the dining room. My first photo in a print magazine, too. Quite exciting!

JBloggs said:
dumitru said:
Perhaps there was more to that story than you know.

I built my page last night. Took me about 90 minutes, mainly because it took me a while to realize that clicking on a link to an image in my theme opens the image in a viewer, with no way to right-click and save the image to disk, and there's no way around this. So I put the images in a zip, so clicking the link downloads the zip to the user's computer.
Like many, I've not been good at saving copies of past articles written about my place, so had nothing about that to put on the media page. But other than that, I think I have most of it covered. Now on to the next challenge!

JBloggs said:
Our first magazine mention is framed in full color in the dining room. My first photo in a print magazine, too. Quite exciting!
Himself matted & framed the 2008 WV Proclamation of National Tourism Week with my photo with the Commissioner of Tourism and the then Governor (now Senator). I was chosen to receive it from the Gov. It hangs in the dining room over the coffee mugs and the Keurig & hot water tank - and guests notice it and are impressed. (To me it is sort of a big whoop, but it does mean something to a lot of people.)

I built my page last night. Took me about 90 minutes, mainly because it took me a while to realize that clicking on a link to an image in my theme opens the image in a viewer, with no way to right-click and save the image to disk, and there's no way around this. So I put the images in a zip, so clicking the link downloads the zip to the user's computer.
Like many, I've not been good at saving copies of past articles written about my place, so had nothing about that to put on the media page. But other than that, I think I have most of it covered. Now on to the next challenge!.
I just went thru and clicked all the links on my website to the media mentions we've had. Another one is gone. Great idea to print them out.

Back