Do You Have A Room For Tonight?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I just don't understand people who make first contact at 5 p.m. asking if I have a room for tonight.

In the long ago that was common. But now we have the WWW and TA and it's so easy to do advance planning and have your overnight stops all arranged in advance.

I say this because, lately, I've been turning down about 3 one nighters per day! I'm not booked out far in advance, but for a few months now, today and the next 5 to 7 days are all booked. It has been 2 months since I've had a room available for a day-of reservation.

The carpenters started last week on adding one more suite to my offerings, but it will probably be 18 months to completing, judging from past projects. But it seems like I could reasonably add 3 more units and keep them filled most nights.

Part of it is that I'm blocking off a day before and after each stay, but still, where were all these people in the past?

I think the bottom line is that it takes about 7 years in business, a good reputation, and a pandemic, before you're established enough to stay really busy!

Touch wood. (Americans say "knock on wood" but I'm feeling British tonight...because of the 5 p.m. martini.)

5 p.m.?
Piker.
We get calls at 1 am looking for a room for the night!

Last-minute is the new normal, it seems. We shut off our online booking at 5pm, but we still get calls looking for rooms well into the evening (don't forget, we're a ski town, and a lot of folks who thought they'd drive home suddenly decide they're too tired for the trip). With us, it's a crap-shoot if we take it. If we're in the mood, not in our pajamas yet, or our monthly numbers are looking a little thin, we're likely to say yes. If it's late, we have a zero night and want to use the hot-tub for ourselves, or we're just burned out on guests, you're probably going to hear a no even if the website shows us totally empty.

It's a personal choice. That's the joy of innkeeping.

It is the pandemic. People are scared of their own shadow and are wanting to go away BUT not where there are going to be other people. Therefore, those of us in Podunk are being looked upon favorably. AND because we are in Podunk, we will always have an empty room waiting just for them. The 1 AM calls are the bar up the street guy thinks he is going to "get lucky" - maybe, but not here.

For the first time this year we had those calls this past weekend. In the past it was pretty common. What I’m mostly hearing now are guests happy we still have rooms available next week. Honey, the whole inn is available any day you want to stay (except last weekend). We’re laughing about it (because otherwise we’d stick our heads in the oven), but we had a full weekend over the course of the entire month of July, and then August. So, yeah, 14 room nights each in July and August.

My official number for this year is "-33." Every time I run a pace report to see how anything is trending compared with last year, it comes up "'-33%"
Revenue, occupancy, this month, next month, upcoming ski season? "-33%"

Now if I could just get the power company and bank to take "-33%" I'd have this thing licked.

If we're in the mood, not in our pajamas yet, or our monthly numbers are looking a little thin, we're likely to say yes. It's a personal choice. That's the joy of innkeeping.

More than once I've had day-of requests and I've just not been in the mood to deal with it that evening, so I run to Reservation Key and block off all the empty rooms that day so they don't call back and say, "But your website shows you have rooms available." As you say, the joy of innkeeping!

I just don't understand people who make first contact at 5 p.m. asking if I have a room for tonight.

In the long ago that was common. But now we have the WWW and TA and it's so easy to do advance planning and have your overnight stops all arranged in advance.

I say this because, lately, I've been turning down about 3 one nighters per day! I'm not booked out far in advance, but for a few months now, today and the next 5 to 7 days are all booked. It has been 2 months since I've had a room available for a day-of reservation.

The carpenters started last week on adding one more suite to my offerings, but it will probably be 18 months to completing, judging from past projects. But it seems like I could reasonably add 3 more units and keep them filled most nights.

Part of it is that I'm blocking off a day before and after each stay, but still, where were all these people in the past?

I think the bottom line is that it takes about 7 years in business, a good reputation, and a pandemic, before you're established enough to stay really busy!

Touch wood. (Americans say "knock on wood" but I'm feeling British tonight...because of the 5 p.m.

Touch wood. (Americans say "knock on wood" but I'm feeling British tonight...because of the 5 p.m. martini.)
This year was different..normally booked 90% by the time we open for our summer season...Lost over 50% before we got open. The cheap air fare was motivating people to just get on the plane and figure it out after they got to Alaska. Lots of people on the way or in our parking lot looking for accommodations. This year I had no problem taking their money

I hate turning last minute guests away before 9 pm and because the rooms are resting for the 24 hours before cleaning. After that, it's easy to say: no room at the inn

It is the pandemic. People a......... are wanting to go away

Yep. Lost almost all my yearly regulars because the events and family reunions were canceled. But others look at our county's case count and see how small this place is and decide to come. I just looked at my numbers for this year and amazed I made my 'nut' and may actually make enough to fund my own road trip next year! Glad things have slowed though. I am feeling age creeping up!

Yep. Lost almost all my yearly regulars because the events and family reunions were canceled. But others look at our county's case count and see how small this place is and decide to come. I just looked at my numbers for this year and amazed I made my 'nut' and may actually make enough to fund my own road trip next year! Glad things have slowed though. I am feeling age creeping up!

I had a full-house one night 2weeks ago and will have another Saturday. Most unusual. I even have a reservation for November - over and above my two 3-night B & Bs For Vets that I always do. Fewer "last minute" and MUCH more in tips this year. I am within 33% of a normal revenue. Now if someone would buy Thanksgiving.... IF I manage to get 2 (did happen once), they each get their own turkey (10 lb.) but share the rest of it. THAT would put me over the norm gross.

What is going on? We are setting new all-time records for occupancy.... People are avoiding the chain hotels and flocking to BnB's in Virginia. This was our September bookings as of the 3rd of September and our bookings for October as of today. There has to be a way to get the word out to people that you guys are open, ready to have guests and cleaner than any chain property. It makes me sad to see what is being written here.
03 Sept 20 OccRpt.JPGBookings as of 18 Oct.JPG

Here too. If I hadn’t blocked off two days per week in August, it would have been best ever. People still booking weekends here. Usually slowing way down now that rains have started. The big bills will be paid. I didn’t know in the Spring if that could happen.

Our county case count is very low. Some have mentioned that as a factor in choosing here.

Vermont is the state with the lowest number of cases in the nation. And it appears everyone knows it. Our October this year will slightly top last October in occupancy (sadly without weddings, our overall revenue numbers will still be down). Were we not turning away people who can't quarantine for two weeks before driving here, we'd be at last year's revenue numbers.

What is going on? We are setting new all-time records for occupancy.... People are avoiding the chain hotels and flocking to BnB's in Virginia. This was our September bookings as of the 3rd of September and our bookings for October as of today. There has to be a way to get the word out to people that you guys are open, ready to have guests and cleaner than any chain property. It makes me sad to see what is being written here.
View attachment 49View attachment 50
Annapolis MD here - we have been down only 10-15% since mid June, and that's mainly price, not number of nights as we lost all the high revenue nights for Navy football and boat show. But people want small. Doesnt hurt to use social media, landing page on web site etc to promote "stay small and stay safe" though safety is not discussed as much as June/July.... People are reading the raving reviews we have gotten and staying with us....

Had a new one, which counts as one of the lower-maintenance guests.
Company made him an Expedia reservation at 5pm. Showed up at 6. Told me he's going to be leaving at 11pm for overnight work nearby, then will be driving straight home. Nice guy, but I told him I couldn't work that kind of schedule!
5-hour stay, and won't even need breakfast.

Had a new one, which counts as one of the lower-maintenance guests.
Company made him an Expedia reservation at 5pm. Showed up at 6. Told me he's going to be leaving at 11pm for overnight work nearby, then will be driving straight home. Nice guy, but I told him I couldn't work that kind of schedule!
5-hour stay, and won't even need breakfast.

I remember those days - and not fondly. I would have killed for that much sleep in one shot! THAT was almost my normal schedule for too many years. Glad those days are over for me.

Back