Do You Have a Signature Dish?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do! And it's something really simple. Blueberry pancakes. The unfortunate bit? Everyone thinks that's what they're going to get so we get some grumpuses in the morning when that's not what they get..
Yum! How do you keep up with making all those pancakes for that many rooms? Do you hold them in the oven?
We've got 2 blueberry farms within walking distance of us so I use a lot of them in the summer.
Breakfast Diva said:
Yum! How do you keep up with making all those pancakes for that many rooms? Do you hold them in the oven?
We've got 2 blueberry farms within walking distance of us so I use a lot of them in the summer.
We limit blueberry pancakes to nights when we have less than 5 rooms. Every batch is made fresh. The only time we 'hot hold' pancakes is if there is a group (and we really try to NOT have pancakes when we have a group). We'll make 2 servings, pop in oven and make the rest fresh and salt in an 'old' with a 'new'.
Blueberry pancakes are hard because the griddle has to be cleaned between each batch so the next batch isn't purple.
Do you dust the blueberries with flour before you put them into the batter?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We don't put them in the batter per se. We put them in once the pancakes are cooked on one side. It's when we flip them over on the griddle and they start to steam that we get the purple on the griddle.
You could drizzle a little batter over them with a spoon to cover them :)

We do! And it's something really simple. Blueberry pancakes. The unfortunate bit? Everyone thinks that's what they're going to get so we get some grumpuses in the morning when that's not what they get..
Breakfast Diva said:
We limit blueberry pancakes to nights when we have less than 5 rooms. Every batch is made fresh. The only time we 'hot hold' pancakes is if there is a group (and we really try to NOT have pancakes when we have a group). We'll make 2 servings, pop in oven and make the rest fresh and salt in an 'old' with a 'new'.
Blueberry pancakes are hard because the griddle has to be cleaned between each batch so the next batch isn't purple.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We don't put them in the batter per se. We put them in once the pancakes are cooked on one side. It's when we flip them over on the griddle and they start to steam that we get the purple on the griddle.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thicker flapjacks, yes that would be my suggestion. But I am sure they want those bb's to shine through! That is what makes them yummy.

Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thicker flapjacks, yes that would be my suggestion. But I am sure they want those bb's to shine through! That is what makes them yummy.
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
They puff up quite a lot when the frozen blueberries hit the hot griddle. :) More than one guest has commented that DH is definitely NOT stingy with the blueberries.

Our signature dish is my grandmother's recipe for Norwegian pancakes. Lingonberries are difficult to find, and we never ate them with lingonberry anyway, she always served them with just butter, cinnamon and sugar. I fill them with whipped cream and whatever fresh fruit is in season: strawberries, peaches, apricot jam, cinnamon apples, etc...They are similar to a Swedish pancake or crepe, just more buttery and egg-y...People really like them. Another favorite is our vegetarian chorizo dish that I serve with fruit salsa and cinnamon crisps, you can see some pictures of what we serve here:
http://willowpondbnb.blogspot.com/2013/05/whats-for-breakfast.html
regular_smile.gif

Our signature dish is my grandmother's recipe for Norwegian pancakes. Lingonberries are difficult to find, and we never ate them with lingonberry anyway, she always served them with just butter, cinnamon and sugar. I fill them with whipped cream and whatever fresh fruit is in season: strawberries, peaches, apricot jam, cinnamon apples, etc...They are similar to a Swedish pancake or crepe, just more buttery and egg-y...People really like them. Another favorite is our vegetarian chorizo dish that I serve with fruit salsa and cinnamon crisps, you can see some pictures of what we serve here:
regular_smile.gif
Willowpondgj said:
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I don't have a signature dish. The previous owners had some kind of coffee cake as their signature dish, I found the recipe and wasn't impressed. I do kind of wish I had something but I haven't quite figured it out yet.
Now if I could figure out how to make my cheesecake my signature dish I'd be set. It doesn't exactly work for breakfast though. :/.
Miss O'Hara said:
I don't have a signature dish. The previous owners had some kind of coffee cake as their signature dish, I found the recipe and wasn't impressed. I do kind of wish I had something but I haven't quite figured it out yet.
Now if I could figure out how to make my cheesecake my signature dish I'd be set. It doesn't exactly work for breakfast though. :/
It would for me....
Cheesecake is my absolute favorite food. When I have it in the house I totally have it with coffee for breakfast. I don't think it's what guests expect though. lol
I have thought about creating a picnic package just so I can highlight my cheesecake.
A b&b near me ends every breakfast with a tiny slice of cheesecake. She says it's about 2 bites and the guests love it.
Go for it & see what happens!
Interesting. I might have to try and see how it goes over.

This is a great question... I'm known for my breakfast but not specifically any dish. Well, I am known for my (how did one person around here put it?) cookie, which isn't really a cookie. But we don't even give those away, they are an add-on you have to pay for. Lots of comments about one particular jam that I make. Hmmm....
Incidentally... woohoo, someone mentioned how great they were on 4square

This is a great question... I'm known for my breakfast but not specifically any dish. Well, I am known for my (how did one person around here put it?) cookie, which isn't really a cookie. But we don't even give those away, they are an add-on you have to pay for. Lots of comments about one particular jam that I make. Hmmm....
Incidentally... woohoo, someone mentioned how great they were on 4square
WOOHOO!! That IS something special.

Now if I could figure out how to make my cheesecake my signature dish I'd be set. It doesn't exactly work for breakfast though. :/.
My view towards what I serve is that they are on vacation, their diet is out the window and they are expecting to eat good food that they may not treat themselves to while at home. Put a slice of cheesecake in front of them and they will be thrilled that they've been given permission to eat cheesecake for breakfast. Who would say NO?
I've also found that if I put my muffins on a pedestal dish in the middle of the breakfast table for self-serve, only about half of the diners will eat it. But, if I serve each person their own muffin, they all eat them. No more pedestal dishes for me!

My view towards what I serve is that they are on vacation, their diet is out the window and they are expecting to eat good food that they may not treat themselves to while at home. Put a slice of cheesecake in front of them and they will be thrilled that they've been given permission to eat cheesecake for breakfast. Who would say NO?
I've also found that if I put my muffins on a pedestal dish in the middle of the breakfast table for self-serve, only about half of the diners will eat it. But, if I serve each person their own muffin, they all eat them. No more pedestal dishes for me!
K9 said:
I agree. We think it may be the opposite, I know Kathleen and I have been round this bush before, she believes put it out there and people will help themselves MORESO, and eat what they want. I think people are shy and won't take what they want. Having to either think about someone watching them or calculating out if there is enough. I am the latter. Unless it is a help yourself boo fay then it is every man for himself! :)
I write this as I had a reservation with someone who had gastric by=pass and said to not be offended if they leave most of the great breakfast on their plate. (Yeah I made a note of it, small portions for them)

K9 said:
I agree. We think it may be the opposite, I know Kathleen and I have been round this bush before, she believes put it out there and people will help themselves MORESO, and eat what they want. I think people are shy and won't take what they want. Having to either think about someone watching them or calculating out if there is enough. I am the latter. Unless it is a help yourself boo fay then it is every man for himself! :)
I write this as I had a reservation with someone who had gastric by=pass and said to not be offended if they leave most of the great breakfast on their plate. (Yeah I made a note of it, small portions for them)
Joey Bloggs said:
Which beats the person who just emailed here and asked me to please serve her 'healthy' food as she is just starting a diet program. Give me strength. We serve junk food here. Don't eat it if it doesn't mesh with your 'new' lifestyle. And, yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall at dinner. And lunch.
Had an older couple here today who ate half what was served. Why the heck everyone can't just do that instead of trying to control the kitchen, I just don't know.
Just because it's put in front of you does not mean you have to eat every bite. MOST people are out of the 'depression baby syndrome' of having to eat everything.
You know we try. We try very hard to make good food for everyone. But, this is what I would want on vacation! Yummy stuff I would never make at home if I didn't live in a friggin' B&B!
DH is making a to-die-for croissant FT these days. Go ahead, eat a bowl of oatmeal and suffer if that will make you happy, but don't ask me to change the menu for you!
OK, I have to calm down now. Sorry. It just got to me for a minute.

regular_smile.gif
Nice pic of the peach scones too! The light, the table, just seemed so welcoming.

Back