Do you have an "emergency" breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
The thread on oversleeping prompted this thread. PT (I think it was) said he can to an "emergency" breakfast in 10 minutes. What does an emergency breakfast consist of?
For me I guess it would be canadian bacon, pancakes, and fruit that's not cut up very much...
=)
Kk.

That's about it for us too. We can also do scrambled eggs, biscuits and sausage links and maybe potatoes. Most of it's frozen and can be done in the oven or stove top in under 10 min.Most of it's frozen and can be done in the oven or stove top in under 10 min. We usually have in season fruit ready to go in the fridge.
We serve "Simply Orange" and "Simply Apple", which guests think is fresh squeezed. We just decant it into the pitchers that were also set out the night before.
We do need to get a coffee pot with a timer though. That way it'll come on before we get up and go straight into a carafe.

Mine would be yogurt & fresh fruit (always kept on hand in the fridge), my homemade granola (again, always on hand), my egg dish would be a ham and cheese omelete and then I would take some muffins I've made previously and frozen as a "plan b" and zap them in the microwave. I also have a fully cooked chicken sausage on hand which can be heated in the microwave and no one is the wiser.
After attending a conference where I learned how to make omeletes extremely fast by the Guiness World Record holder, I can do them lickety split. Certainly not setting a record myself though!
Believe me, I've had to use those omeletes as a "plan b" before!!

Fresh fruit, Belgian waffles (with some kind of fruit topping), and some form of breakfast pork :) Along with the usual breakfast beverages......
No electricty, they're getting omelets. :)

Mine's frozen quiche. Easy to defrost and heat up, served with fresh fruit and muffin.

When I overslept I made scrabled eggs, sausage patties and toasted waffles I had frozen from the day before.
Yougurt parfaits were made up the night before.
The guests were happy

Mine would be yogurt & fresh fruit (always kept on hand in the fridge), my homemade granola (again, always on hand), my egg dish would be a ham and cheese omelete and then I would take some muffins I've made previously and frozen as a "plan b" and zap them in the microwave. I also have a fully cooked chicken sausage on hand which can be heated in the microwave and no one is the wiser.
After attending a conference where I learned how to make omeletes extremely fast by the Guiness World Record holder, I can do them lickety split. Certainly not setting a record myself though!
Believe me, I've had to use those omeletes as a "plan b" before!!.
Oooh ooooh ooooh! You need to do a separate "How-to" post on that as a new topic (please).

YS! I saw an ad last night for Hampton Inn or one of those and the guy was in the bathroom with the hairdryer heating up a bran muffin! I loved it!!

Oooh ooooh ooooh! You need to do a separate "How-to" post on that as a new topic (please).
I believe she is talking about Howard Helmer whom probably most of us have seen. Me..I've seen him dozens of times in different places over the past 30 years. Google him..I bet them may be a you tube video out there somewhere.

I believe she is talking about Howard Helmer whom probably most of us have seen. Me..I've seen him dozens of times in different places over the past 30 years. Google him..I bet them may be a you tube video out there somewhere.
Yes, it is Howard Helmer. This guy LOVES eggs! He's got a really good website I just found and you can get his recipes and watch his videos. Definitely watch the video with the omelete demonstration. The Incredible Egg Man

Yes, it is Howard Helmer. This guy LOVES eggs! He's got a really good website I just found and you can get his recipes and watch his videos. Definitely watch the video with the omelete demonstration. The Incredible Egg Man
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, it is Howard Helmer.
I am a convert to the Howard way of making omelets. It's super fast and easy, although I still don't do it if we have a full house unless I am contending with special diet issues. Getting them out two at a time is not bad but having everyone sit down at once is a challenge.

Breakfast Diva said:
I am a convert to the Howard way of making omelets. It's super fast and easy, although I still don't do it if we have a full house unless I am contending with special diet issues. Getting them out two at a time is not bad but having everyone sit down at once is a challenge.
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
The video is amazing. You could conceivably have a selection of fillings and let guest "build their own" IF you only had 4 or so to do.

Breakfast Diva said:
If our innkeeper friend that we visited used that method, I want to know how to do it. Best omelet I've ever had...better than mine! tee hee.... :)

Well I didn't oversleep but I did undercount for breakfast this morning. I learned that I can make French Herb Souffle's in 10-15 minutes and they all raved over them. No one knew that 2 of them were only partially cooked in the oven (the remaining time was spent in the microwave). I sure couldn't give everyone else their souffle and then the other 2 scramble or something....Three families all coming down at one time! DH was muttering that I had not set the table correctly - that was when the
lightbulb.gif
came on.
cry_smile.gif
But all ended well. - If they only knew.

Well I didn't oversleep but I did undercount for breakfast this morning. I learned that I can make French Herb Souffle's in 10-15 minutes and they all raved over them. No one knew that 2 of them were only partially cooked in the oven (the remaining time was spent in the microwave). I sure couldn't give everyone else their souffle and then the other 2 scramble or something....Three families all coming down at one time! DH was muttering that I had not set the table correctly - that was when the
lightbulb.gif
came on.
cry_smile.gif
But all ended well. - If they only knew..
We've had too few starters a few times. Because we serve at individual tables and whenever you're ready to eat, sometimes it doesn't matter.
Today, I was so wound up about trying to organize all the tables that I totally forgot the topping for the pancakes. I couldn't very well serve the next table supposedly the same breakfast WITH the topping, so I grabbed 2 small bowls and piled the topping into that and brought it to the table separately. They seemed quite ok with that and did the topping themselves.

Breakfast Diva said:
If our innkeeper friend that we visited used that method, I want to know how to do it. Best omelet I've ever had...better than mine! tee hee.... :)
Samster said:
Hmmm...now I have no idea who you mean. The only time you and I have stayed anywhere together we had French toast, which was yummy. At a B&B, anyway - no omelets at that conference in Charlotte.

Years ago my company treated us workers to an omelet breakfast and the guys who made the omelets used that method. All I have to do is see it once... it's been essentially my method ever since.
I just watched the videos... they are fun!
=)
Kk.

Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
The video is amazing. You could conceivably have a selection of fillings and let guest "build their own" IF you only had 4 or so to do.
An innkeeper friend of mine asks her guests the night before what they would like in their omelete. If you are organized and have all the fillings set up next to the stove, it only takes a second to add the ingredients to order. Howard says they are 45 second omelettes, but realistically they take about 2 minutes per.
Just make a big bowl of the egg mixture (2 egg, 1 Tbl water until you get to a dozen eggs, then cut down on the amount of water). I have a ladle that is the perfect size for 1 omelete.

Breakfast Diva said:
Samster said:
Hmmm...now I have no idea who you mean. The only time you and I have stayed anywhere together we had French toast, which was yummy. At a B&B, anyway - no omelets at that conference in Charlotte.
I had an omelet the first morning :) With all kinds of yumminess because she knows that I eat just about anything. (Except straight anchovies, ick but I will eat them in a real Caesar salad dressing) It was so fluffy and delicious and I'm not just saying that because I didn't have to cook! The company was pretty good too - an all girl brekkie. :)

I truly think you could have a happy dining room full of guests if you did an omelet station, like on a cruise ship! You could on one side, of course, have the crepes - sweet toppings, so everyone I satisfied.
Wait! stop me, what am I saying? This is a BnB not a big boat with staff. Do whatever you want to do, your place, your rules. Or they can heat up a bran muffin at the holiday inn.

Back