Do you have what it takes to be an innkeeper?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cambs said "I think I am lucky in the UK as people here don't expect to be entertained or waited on hand and foot. The only thing that hacks me off is when people are just completely unthinking ie late arrivals, banging bags down the stairs, damage (by that I mean serious not coffee rings) and so on."
The old song, dance and magic tricks routine. We have it more here than overseas, somehow we bent to those who demand it and now expect us to entertain them, while they dine. "B&B BREAKFAST THEATER"
Today they tried that on me, when you are there with others at the table - enjoy them, don't expect me to come in and talk. What is this, a morning lecture hall or something? Jeez eat your friggin' food I slaved away over all morning and am now cleaning up! (I mean, bless their little hearts)
tounge_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:

The old song, dance and magic tricks routine. We have it more here than overseas, somehow we bent to those who demand it and now expect us to entertain them, while they dine. "B&B BREAKFAST THEATER"
This is the part we like. The theater part. Maybe the both of us should have been stand-up comedians. It's the most time we spend with the guests unless we run into them in the evening. Then we can chat for hours. But breakfast is the main event so we do make a show of it. There are 2 of us during breakfast so it does make a difference. When it's just me it depends on what I'm cooking if I can chat and cook at the same time. Eggs, no. French toast, yes.
Joey Bloggs said:
This is the part we like. The theater part. Maybe the both of us should have been stand-up comedians.
I never felt like I had to entertain my guests, especially at breakfast. Once it was served (plated), we were out of there, except for periodic checking of the pump pots, and for clearing when everyone was done. I didn't stand around, refill coffee cups or try to start or maintain conversations. Must be the difference in the type of Inn.
Even though it comes off sounding like entertainment, it is engagement with guests. It's why they come to a B&B.
Alibi Ike said:
Even though it comes off sounding like entertainment, it is engagement with guests. It's why they come to a B&B.
See that is what we are saying. In America, for the most part, they come here to engage. Unless it is a very private romantic escapade. They expect the innkeeper routine. I have never stayed at an inn and expected that, I just wanna do my thing.

Cambs said "I think I am lucky in the UK as people here don't expect to be entertained or waited on hand and foot. The only thing that hacks me off is when people are just completely unthinking ie late arrivals, banging bags down the stairs, damage (by that I mean serious not coffee rings) and so on."
Today they tried that on me, when you are there with others at the table - enjoy them, don't expect me to come in and talk. What is this, a morning lecture hall or something? Jeez eat your friggin' food I slaved away over all morning and am now cleaning up! (I mean, bless their little hearts)
tounge_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:

This is the part we like. The theater part. Maybe the both of us should have been stand-up comedians. It's the most time we spend with the guests unless we run into them in the evening. Then we can chat for hours. But breakfast is the main event so we do make a show of it. There are 2 of us during breakfast so it does make a difference. When it's just me it depends on what I'm cooking if I can chat and cook at the same time. Eggs, no. French toast, yes.
Joey Bloggs said:
This is the part we like. The theater part. Maybe the both of us should have been stand-up comedians.
I never felt like I had to entertain my guests, especially at breakfast. Once it was served (plated), we were out of there, except for periodic checking of the pump pots, and for clearing when everyone was done. I didn't stand around, refill coffee cups or try to start or maintain conversations. Must be the difference in the type of Inn.
Not all of them. A lot of them are just sick of nasty hotel rooms and looking for an upgrade. Some of my favorite guests are the young couples getting out of the big city...they are happy to eat together, minimal conversation and then go off for the rest of the day. We have ZERO interaction in the evenings. Breakfast we have plenty, but once we're done with check-ins were outta there.

tounge_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
See that is what we are saying. In America, for the most part, they come here to engage. Unless it is a very private romantic escapade. They expect the innkeeper routine. I have never stayed at an inn and expected that, I just wanna do my thing.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
At breakfast. At no other time other than check-in or if the guest asks for help with something. Sometimes they offer to share wine & snacks with us. But, at breakfast, there is a whole show. Finding out what they are doing, what they did, did they like it, would the recommend it. All that stuff. Usually it gets the conversation going with the other tables. One guest did something interesting, other guests ask about it, then find out they live 2 miles from each other and then I go eat my own breakfast.

If I may.....
I did not read the link......read most of the replies.....
I try to trust people. Always have. Will probably always try to.
Through the years, I always knew there would be some that test your trust and belief in humanity......I am convinced that there are those folks that will at every turn try to burn who ever the deal with. Those that push and push.......What they fail to realize is that, enough of it. Those that are subject to these things become guarded, overly guarded......and who suffers?
At times it becomes a challenge to identify nice, good people. Maybe not so difficult.....surely have something rolling around in your head thinking they won't be nice, understanding, etc.......for to long.
No one person is all things to all people........No one person is all things to all things......Everyone has their strong points, as well as those aspects that they are not so strong with......Anyone can with effort be better at those things they are not strong suited for......I do not think those that are not at the very basic people persons, will ever be a people person....That is one aspect that is very difficult to master. Some just don't have that ability.
I've been reading this website for more than a year....I have gained tremendous insight to the world of innkeeping.....I know the rants posted are of individual incidents. You post them so that they can be aired. You post them for the sense of relief, as well as to comiserate with those that understand you..........Myself. I have gained a great deal from those threads. I can identify the inner workings, behind the scenes aspects of innkeeping....I also identify similarities between innkeeping and my current profession. The rants posted are for me entertaining...The posts of good stories are appreciated as well. We need the good stories for balance and perspective.
I do consider myself a people person.....perhaps more from a distance now a days....and I applaud you all for what you do. It is a special person that dedicates their lives to others needs. Whether it's a lifetime or a time period in the length of ones life.
This thread makes the point for an aspiring as myself. Take inventory of ones strengths and weaknesses. Understand them now, before the leap....One thing I have seen time and time again, with many people. They leap without knowing where the ground is.

One Day...you mean...oh wait, am I about to complain again?
Well dang it they told me it was so terribly hot in their room this morning, I went through all the motions, and explained the last very thin and feeble guest (there is always a past guest to blame, shhh!) had to have the vents wide open in there or she would freeze over and die so now you have all the heat in the house directed at your room.
DH will be home at 5oclock on the dot to close a vent. He gets home, with his ladder under his arm begins heading up the stairs. Oh no no no, it is fine, no big deal, they tell him. DH "Well I have the ladder here, let me take care of it for you..." "Oh no, don't worry about it"
I am here ALL DAY since breakfast upset that we 'forgot' to close one of the guests and are broiling them in the room.
DH walks back in and just gives me that look. Yeah I exaggerated. NOT! Really I didn't. But everything's groovy now.
whattha.gif

Well dang it they told me it was so terribly hot in their room this morning, I went through all the motions, and explained the last very thin and feeble guest (there is always a past guest to blame, shhh!) had to have the vents wide open in there or she would freeze over and die so now you have all the heat in the house directed at your room.
DH will be home at 5oclock on the dot to close a vent. He gets home, with his ladder under his arm begins heading up the stairs. Oh no no no, it is fine, no big deal, they tell him. DH "Well I have the ladder here, let me take care of it for you..." "Oh no, don't worry about it"
I am here ALL DAY since breakfast upset that we 'forgot' to close one of the guests and are broiling them in the room.
DH walks back in and just gives me that look. Yeah I exaggerated. NOT! Really I didn't. But everything's groovy now.
whattha.gif
What is it about seeing someone come in with the tools to fix the problem that makes people declare there is no problem? The same people who would bitch all day long as long as they knew the person they were bitching to couldn't fix the problem. There is something magical about a man (or a woman) with a ladder!

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
and are broiling them in the room.
Don't forget to baste them, or they'll be dry ;)

Oh man......that's funny.
I can definitely relate to that.........

Back