Do you leave the heating on all night

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Do you leave the central heating on all night in the winter?
On all but the coldest nights ours is programmed to go off between midnight and 2am and then 3.30 to 6am.
All our guest rooms have 15tog feather and down duvets, plus extra blankets (which rarely get used) and no-one has ever complained of being cold int he night.
It seems a waste to have the heating on whilst everyone is tucked up in bed, so I wondered what others felt about this.

Absolutely! I spent one of the coldest nights of my life at a B&B in Scotland (under all those covers) when there was no heat and then the heat did not come on in the morning until long after we had to use the bathroom. brrrrrrrrr..............

Do you mean completely off? Or just turned down?
I think you all are much more used to the cold than we are. Most of our UK guests never use the A/C and sleep with the windows open even in the winter.
Here, each room has its own thermostat so guests adjust as they want. The common areas are set down to 60 (15) at 9 PM and get raised again at 7 AM.
We, too, have duvets, blankets & quilts on the beds. Generally speaking the rooms are around 65 when we go to clean so I don't think most guests even bother turning the heat up at night. But, if they want to sit in the living room after 9 PM, they have a gas stove they can turn on when it gets cold.
I have to say that I have stayed a few places where the innkeeper controlled the heat and I was miserable from the cold. And I'm someone who still has the window fan on when the outside temp is 40.

Yes, on always, but turned down overnight. Each room has an electric fireplace, so they can adjust as needed.

We don't have central heat - but we wouldn't dare turn the heaters off during the night in cold season. The threat of frozen pipes is too scary.
When guests aren't here, leaving the spigot on a trickle is what we do, but when they are here, I don't expect them to remember something like that. They control the heat in their rooms, and we have special thermostat controlled bathroom heaters we put in.

Off, right off? I hope not.
We have ours set on electronic timer, so we have check in time, bed time where the temp drops down so it is not too warm, wake up time and check out time. By doing this incrementally it saves $$ in heating bills as we are not on aux heat constantly to bump it up over 2 or 3 degrees at a time.
It is like our A/C it is on, has been on, it is way too costly to try to bring the cooling down from high heat, it is left on (and also on set time).

We have individual room units so the guest controls their own room temps. But the other areas of the house are central and are controled by a timer, which goes down over night hours but never off (well unless we are having a mild winter)
Turning the heat off is worse on your temp control than just turning it down, and you may be able to turn it to a lower temp through out the night and save $ over the off/on/off/on - give it a try!
And don't forget there are some of us that have to get up in the middle of the night.
embaressed_smile.gif
...I would freeze to death before making it back to bed.

It's been said that it is healthier to sleep in a cool room.
One Day said:
It's been said that it is healthier to sleep in a cool room
For some unknown reason, that memo never got to my daughter. When she moved back in after college I went into her room during the day and she had the heat up to 80. I mentioned it to her and she explained it was for the dogs. I explained that's why they have fur coats, please turn the heat down when you're not home.
Did she? Well, maybe. But I do know she keeps her house at 75 during the day and 68 at night. Now it's because she has a kid.

One Day said:
For some unknown reason, that memo never got to my daughter. When she moved back in after college I went into her room during the day and she had the heat up to 80. I mentioned it to her and she explained it was for the dogs. I explained that's why they have fur coats, please turn the heat down when you're not home.
Did she? Well, maybe. But I do know she keeps her house at 75 during the day and 68 at night. Now it's because she has a kid.
72F during the day & 68F during the night during heating season.

It's been said that it is healthier to sleep in a cool roomthe key word here is COOL - 'neither warm nor very cold' But each of us has our own temp range in mind for this!

One Day said:
72F during the day & 68F during the night during heating season.
That is about what we programmed ours for guests. Heat was programmed to come up early in the morning for the early risers. :)

I am tight with a dollar but would never turn the heat OFF in the winter. Each room upstairs - in cluding bathrooms - has electric baseboard heaters. In winter the bathrooms are set to minimum (around 50 -55) to keep my wter pipes from bursting. An electric bill is much cheaper that the plumber bill would be, plus the contractor to replace the walls, floors, ceiling, etc. Downstairs is on central forced-air ags heat. It is set to 60 to 64 during the day and 55 at night in winter when no guests - a bit warmer when we have guests. They control the heat in their own guestroom.
Forgot to add that turning it off is bd for the furnace.

we do it for the pipes and it takes more to heat everything up from cold than to leave it on if you see what I mean. does go down at night though

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
Funny you should say that becuase my sisters house is unbareably hot and stuffy most of the time and when I mentioned it to her she said she didn't want the cats to get cold.

I don't like a hot house either, at all. Right now there are guests from Baton Rouge and she said she gets COLD in A/C, so we have it turned down a bit for her.
Worst heat I have felt were our dear friends from AK. They used older wood stoves for heating and it was always 95 or nothing. I felt faint every time I would visit them. Of course the newer stoves are better. These were just the old cast iron pot bellied that they would stoke the heck out of 24 hours a day in Alaska.

We have our thermstats set automatically. We have small electric heater/fireplaces in each room. IF the guest gets cold, they can turn them on and easily heat up their room only.

I don't like a hot house either, at all. Right now there are guests from Baton Rouge and she said she gets COLD in A/C, so we have it turned down a bit for her.
Worst heat I have felt were our dear friends from AK. They used older wood stoves for heating and it was always 95 or nothing. I felt faint every time I would visit them. Of course the newer stoves are better. These were just the old cast iron pot bellied that they would stoke the heck out of 24 hours a day in Alaska..
Joey Bloggs said:
Right now there are guests from Baton Rouge and she said she gets COLD in A/C, so we have it turned down a bit for her.
We had guests from FL this summer who were too cold in the AC so they turned the thermostat up. Unfortunately it was the thermostat for the heat (separate from the AC) and the only one not under lock and key. So the heat ran all night while the AC was on, and one of the AC thermostats is right under a radiator. She wondered why her radiator was warm during the night. We'll be buying another cover for the heat thermostat soon, I suppose.

Back