Do you let guests use your kitchen?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't let any guests in the kitchen. It looks like you've already solved the problem just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Official answer, probably not. But my kitchen is open and people pass through it all the time...
If they brought their own they could use the microwave in the dining room to heat it up.
The baby's not going to fall out... it sleeps in the middle. But that baby's not getting a sibling anytime soon!
:wink:
=)
Kk.

Official answer, probably not. But my kitchen is open and people pass through it all the time...
If they brought their own they could use the microwave in the dining room to heat it up.
The baby's not going to fall out... it sleeps in the middle. But that baby's not getting a sibling anytime soon!
=)
Kk..
With your set up, you could not get a business license here to operate as a B&B and the health department would not give you a health slip :-(
No guests ever in the kitchen, not even to pass through. You couldn't even have your second fire egress through the kitchen.
It's always interesting to me how much more is involved in the licensing of these businesses from locale to locale and something aspirings should really be aware of.

=)
Kk..
With your set up, you could not get a business license here to operate as a B&B and the health department would not give you a health slip :-(
No guests ever in the kitchen, not even to pass through. You couldn't even have your second fire egress through the kitchen.
It's always interesting to me how much more is involved in the licensing of these businesses from locale to locale and something aspirings should really be aware of.
Samster said:
Who are you referring to?

=)
Kk..
Samster said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Samster said:
How to tell who she was talking to...look at the small blue post number at the top of the text box. You can click that and it will take you to the post Samster was referring to. In this case, looks like Yellow Socks.
As an example: Posted on: Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:11am in reply to comment 48146 (my reply to your post)

=)
Kk..
Samster said:
Sorry...I keep forgetting that everyone doesn't look at the forum in the threaded mode. :-(
I was replying to Yellowsocks, who stated that one of her guest rooms had to go through her kitchen to get to their room. That's not an acceptable configuration here. Actually, I should have said that you wouldn't be able to get a Certificate of Occupancy, which along with the health department inspection slip, is required before you can apply for and pay for your business license.
In fact, where I am located, the owners/innkeepers (whoever also lives on site) have to have their own entrance which the guests don't use except maybe in the event of an emergency. That was what our City inspector told me when we were inspected for our Certificate of Occupancy for this business.

When I only have 1 room rented, I sometimes make a exception depending on what they need to do. Most just used the microwave, no big deal. never had a problem but will absolutely not let anyone take over my kitchen and then probably leave a mess for me to clean to top it all of.

When I only have 1 room rented, I sometimes make a exception depending on what they need to do. Most just used the microwave, no big deal. never had a problem but will absolutely not let anyone take over my kitchen and then probably leave a mess for me to clean to top it all of..
From one moose to another, you might want to be careful with what you allow even if guests are the only ones in the house. A good lesson learned here was when we took over the business and were being very generous with guests. They liked the generosity and continued to return but they did not understand why they could not go in the kitchen now that other guests were around.
If you think you might have repeat business where you are, keep that in mind. Whoever you allow to have privileges will not think those perks go away just because there are other guests. And then the other guests want the same perks.

When I only have 1 room rented, I sometimes make a exception depending on what they need to do. Most just used the microwave, no big deal. never had a problem but will absolutely not let anyone take over my kitchen and then probably leave a mess for me to clean to top it all of..
From one moose to another, you might want to be careful with what you allow even if guests are the only ones in the house. A good lesson learned here was when we took over the business and were being very generous with guests. They liked the generosity and continued to return but they did not understand why they could not go in the kitchen now that other guests were around.
If you think you might have repeat business where you are, keep that in mind. Whoever you allow to have privileges will not think those perks go away just because there are other guests. And then the other guests want the same perks.
MooseTrax said:
Thanks Moose, makes total sense. You offer a hand they take the arm....or they turn out to be pita's.

MooseTrax said:
Thanks Moose, makes total sense. You offer a hand they take the arm....or they turn out to be pita's.
We like to say, 'Give them an inch and they think they're a ruler.'

MooseTrax said:
Excellent points to consider.
thumbs_up.gif

We've had a few repeat guests fall into that exact pattern on several fronts and it makes it really rough for us to tighten things back up when others are around and not granted the same flexibility.

We had 2 student teachers for a couple months our first year and we gave them kitchen priviledges. One Saturday morning the doofus boyfriend of one taps on the living room door and askd DH if he has a band-aid. DH goes to see what the problem is - a band-aid ain't gonna cover this one. She was slicing bagels and sliced the end of her finger. DH wrapped a towel around it (once she was able to get up since he caught her before she passed out) and ordered said boyfriend to get her to the ER. Mama told us later she had to have plastic surgery on that finger. Thankfully there was no mention of lawsuit, but I held my breath for a very long time. NEVER AGAIN!!

I have a refrigerator and microwave in our beverage center plus a kitchen sink. People do alot with that. Many of my guests are at the U and might eat out but have leftovers they put in the refrigerator and can heat in the mw.
Some have bought fruit and mw frozen meals to have when they don't want to go out. I furnish plates, silverware and napkins in the beverage area.

Back