Do you live around here?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they ask that question when they arrive or after checking into the bed and breakfast and tour? If you did not say "I will be in here if you need anything" then maybe they think you do not live there?
Some innkeepers are never around so you do not think they live onsite. I can understand that.

Do they ask that question when they arrive or after checking into the bed and breakfast and tour? If you did not say "I will be in here if you need anything" then maybe they think you do not live there?
Some innkeepers are never around so you do not think they live onsite. I can understand that..
Joe Bloggs said:
Some innkeepers are never around so you do not think they live onsite. I can understand that.
Generally during check in tour.
Even though I live here I'm often not around...
=)
Kk.

Some innkeepers are never around so you do not think they live onsite. I can understand that..
Actually when we gave a tour we ALWAYS said as we pointed to the door in the dining room. "If there is anything you need, just knock on this door. We live in the back half of the house.' So not too many got a chance to ask us this since hopefully they heard us tell them:)

Joe Bloggs said:
I tell guests to just ring the bell and one of us will come to help. THEN they say, 'Oh, so you don't live here.' I don't tell them to CALL me on the phone, I say to ring the bell. I'm guessing they think if I live here I'll point them to my door and tell them to knock. In a pig's eye. The fewer guests who know where that door is the better. Altho I have had some enterprising guests just go where they saw me go and knock on the door, which I won't hear unless I'm in the office.

YellowSocks said:
I am astonished at how frequently I get asked, "Do you live here?"
Do I look that much like white trash?
Does it seem that professional?
Is it because they don't see any kids toys or crap until they get to the kitchen? (And then there's not much.)
Actually, I think that people don't realize how big this place is... it doesn't seem that big from the front.
Do they ask you that, too?
=)
Kk.
It isn't a personal question (in the way you took it). Unless the question is: Do YOU live here? (accompanied by arched eyebrows)
We get that a LOT (not the arched eyebrows
wink_smile.gif
). Guests assume we live in the house behind us. I tell them we live in the barn...they assume the barn is more guest rooms..
This thread has given me an idea that will almost certainly save an innkeeper time and money in the kitchen. Imagine the conversation:
GUEST: "Where do you live?"
INNKEEPER: "Oh, I live in the attic. . . . . with the bats. . . . . Oh, say, that reminds me, breakfast is at 8!"
It's seasonally topical, to boot! ;)
Edited to apologize. Sorry, it's been one of those days.

Since advice is being given - I ask guests if they will be heading back out later to get some dinner as I present the card to our fav restaurant on the corner for 10% off. Most of them say in reply "Well not right now."
I am wondering how i am phrasing that for them to think I mean they are leaving right that minute when they just showed up? I say later on in my sentence. I typed it verbatim. It is the same schpeal at check in. People think that is what I mean.

Since advice is being given - I ask guests if they will be heading back out later to get some dinner as I present the card to our fav restaurant on the corner for 10% off. Most of them say in reply "Well not right now."
I am wondering how i am phrasing that for them to think I mean they are leaving right that minute when they just showed up? I say later on in my sentence. I typed it verbatim. It is the same schpeal at check in. People think that is what I mean..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I am wondering how i am phrasing that for them to think I mean they are leaving right that minute when they just showed up? I say later on in my sentence. I typed it verbatim. It is the same schpeal at check in. People think that is what I mean.
"When you're ready for dinner, this is a place we love. Here is a coupon for a discount on your meal."
I try to ask if guests have made plans for dinner. Most haven't; some actually read the restaurant list online and booked ahead. If guests say they will be going to x restaurant, I say I have a coupon. I try not to lead them (but we have a big selection here). The only problem is in the morning if one guest got the coupon because they expressed an opinion on the restaurant and the other guests just ended up there without the coupon and they talk about the discount we gave to them. I think I'll write on the menu, 'Ask for a discount coupon before you go to dinner.' Rather than giving the coupons out to everyone as I usually find them crumpled in the trash when I just 'hand them out'.

Almost every guest asks where I am from. It's almost the first question out of their mouths. Where do they think I am from? I sometimes have a bit of fun and make something up. And, they think my husband is the hired help - the gardener, the handyman and best of all, the bellhop!! Too funny. I am very used to it by now. Hubby was a bit insulted when it first happened but he now plays along with it too.
Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!.
vancouverislander said:
Almost every guest asks where I am from. It's almost the first question out of their mouths. Where do they think I am from? I sometimes have a bit of fun and make something up. And, they think my husband is the hired help - the gardener, the handyman and best of all, the bellhop!! Too funny. I am very used to it by now. Hubby was a bit insulted when it first happened but he now plays along with it too.
Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!
Where are you from?
I have found that a large majority of innkeepers are not from the state they currently live in to run their B&B. Guests notice this as well.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
vancouverislander said:
Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!
Where are you from?
I have found that a large majority of innkeepers are not from the state they currently live in to run their B&B. Guests notice this as well.
We get that a lot, in a sarcastic sort of way. There is a definite 'Maine' accent that we do not have. Nor does anyone in my neighborhood in general. I'll say, 'I'm from the Bronx.' Then hubs always adds (in the background), 'You wanna piece a me?' Everyone laughs. I do not have a Bx accent any longer, but I can turn it on at will. I'll then ask, 'Youse wan some maw cawfee? Youse wanna meet my dawg?' And the ever popular, 'I got 2 dawtahs, howse about youse?'
You can definitely still tell that you were originally from (or spent a great deal of time in) an area of NYC.
regular_smile.gif
Just like my poor husband who has been gone from LI for 45 years...he always gets pegged as a Yankee and New Yorker, in that order. haha! I think because I've acquired a bit of an accent from our last stop across the country, people have trouble figuring out where I'm from. They definitely know that I am not from here, though.

Actually when we gave a tour we ALWAYS said as we pointed to the door in the dining room. "If there is anything you need, just knock on this door. We live in the back half of the house.' So not too many got a chance to ask us this since hopefully they heard us tell them:)
I sort of do the same thing. I seem to spend most of my time in the kitchen/laundry room area of our house. I also have a sign in our check-in area that says to ring the bell, knock on the door, or call my cell phone. It's interesting that even though they see me coming & going out of 2 areas of the back of the house and they've been told how to reach me that they somehow think we don't live here.
Maybe they think we live next door in our other house....

Let me answer it point blank here. I think what YS is getting at, if you are younger and own a very large home, then they think you just "work here."
Then the second assumption is 1) the antiques were handed to you from family members, or 2) came with the house. That is what I hear often. Third is any family photos I have must be either (what is the term Bree? Rent a family?), or came with the house. Oh and lastly, here is a favorite 4) What else do you do?.
Absolutely agree. You'll love the following:
We're on a hill overlooking a number of very cute, very small homes. Young family recently moved into one, Their parents came to visit and immediately realized they would need to stay somewhere else. They asked their kids about local B&Bs, pointed at our house and asked whether it was a good place to stay. The kids' response was ....
"Oh that's not a B&B - some rich folks live there".
I laughed until I cried and ended up with some new friends and repeat guests.

Goodness - white trash??
I get that question asked of me quite often.There are bed and breakfasts where the owner resides in an adjacent building or has a housekeeper or so on. I've stayed in places like that. If you are having guests from off the continent it might be more common for the owners to live away and some countries are not at all familiar with what a bed and breakfast is.

Goodness - white trash??
I get that question asked of me quite often.There are bed and breakfasts where the owner resides in an adjacent building or has a housekeeper or so on. I've stayed in places like that. If you are having guests from off the continent it might be more common for the owners to live away and some countries are not at all familiar with what a bed and breakfast is..
ginocat said:
Goodness - white trash??
I don't really think that... well, not consciously.
Mostly I think they're making conversation.
But at some point, you start to wonder...
=)
Kk.

yes, we are asked that question often, as well.for us, i think the reason mainly is because we are young innkeepers. We are in our early 30's so most people think we are the housekeepers (which we are), the innkeepers ( which we are), the kids of the owners, an employee of some sort (which we are) & so on.
We are actually those rare innkeepers, who are natives of the state in which we own our Inn. When people realize we are the owners, they try to hide their surprise(it doesn't work) & then ask us how we were "able to do this"? (we asume they are speaking about financially). We just tell them we believe in hard work & we have always been hard workers because it pays off..
My Mom was from Chicago so I am a blend of WV and Chicawga therefore it is not apparent from the start that I am a WV native. Actually most people in this region do not have the drawl found in southern WV. DH is Illinois but now a WV convert.
We are ancient enough that it is assumed we retired to this. They do get impressed by the photos (I do have a few of grandkids stuck on top of things where I put them when they came) of Miss West Virginia and me with the Governor and the Commissioner of Tourism. DH is going to frame them - someday........
gillumhouse said:
My Mom was from Chicago so I am a blend of WV and Chicawga therefore it is not apparent from the start that I am a WV native. Actually most people in this region do not have the drawl found in southern WV. DH is Illinois but now a WV convert.
We are ancient enough that it is assumed we retired to this. They do get impressed by the photos (I do have a few of grandkids stuck on top of things where I put them when they came) of Miss West Virginia and me with the Governor and the Commissioner of Tourism. DH is going to frame them - someday........
My parents are in Charleston right now heading east.
regular_smile.gif
They drove across the country to home and if they can just make that last leg of the trip...which is always the hardest.
Did your folks get home OK?

yes, we are asked that question often, as well.for us, i think the reason mainly is because we are young innkeepers. We are in our early 30's so most people think we are the housekeepers (which we are), the innkeepers ( which we are), the kids of the owners, an employee of some sort (which we are) & so on.
We are actually those rare innkeepers, who are natives of the state in which we own our Inn. When people realize we are the owners, they try to hide their surprise(it doesn't work) & then ask us how we were "able to do this"? (we asume they are speaking about financially). We just tell them we believe in hard work & we have always been hard workers because it pays off..
gillumhouse said:
My parents are in Charleston right now heading east.
regular_smile.gif
They drove across the country to home and if they can just make that last leg of the trip...which is always the hardest.
gillumhouse said:
YES!

Back