Do you live around here?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
I am astonished at how frequently I get asked, "Do you live here?"
Do I look that much like white trash?
Does it seem that professional?
Is it because they don't see any kids toys or crap until they get to the kitchen? (And then there's not much.)
Actually, I think that people don't realize how big this place is... it doesn't seem that big from the front.
Do they ask you that, too?
=)
Kk.

We get asked that all the time. Our house was a perfect set-up for it with the two rooms on the ground floor having the French doors between the rooms so we have access to our quarters without having to exit one room to get to the other. I was supposed to make this house into a B & B! (But all they have to do is look into my Library/officeto see it is LIVED in!)

We often get asked that because our quarters are downstairs and on the back of the house. Our house is very long. I think that most folks must think that we just have an office where I pop in to run their card :) They don't realize the space back there!
Also, our house is very quiet so they don't hear us. We get asked if we live here a lot at breakfast.

white trash?
i don't get the meaning here.
i get asked that.
i 'live' in a little tiny room like cinderella ... i put a little section in the guest reference books about the breakfast room and how it doubles as my living room ... and that is why it is not open to guests all the time. a few guests have found my bedroom/office/personal space ... one was 'appalled' thank you.
wink_smile.gif

We get asked that as it's not obvious that there is a loft apartment which we built above the common area space, and it's the only part of the house that is carpeted so our elephant of a hound does not make noise when he jumps around. Only noise is when he gallops up the stairs from the basement. Our stairs are private as well, from the basement to the kitchen up to the loft.
Riki

We were asked that last week by some guests who said the Inn was so quiet they thought they were the only ones here. Nope, two other rooms and us, right below their guest room.
I think at a lot of B&Bs now the innkeepers live off-site, so it may be a more 'normal' question to ask.

white trash?
i get asked that.
i 'live' in a little tiny room like cinderella ... i put a little section in the guest reference books about the breakfast room and how it doubles as my living room ... and that is why it is not open to guests all the time. a few guests have found my bedroom/office/personal space ... one was 'appalled' thank you.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
white trash?
It's just that I don't feel like I am the type of person to own such a big and pretty house. If it weren't for the B&B we'd have a little house in the boonies. All of the "nice" stuff we have is because of the "people."
Don't know if it makes sense, either... I'm just not a hifalutin' kind of person.
=)
Kk.

YellowSocks said:
Is it because they don't see any kids toys or crap until they get to the kitchen? (And then there's not much.)
Actually, I think that people don't realize how big this place is... it doesn't seem that big from the front.
=)
Kk.
It isn't a personal question (in the way you took it). Unless the question is: Do YOU live here? (accompanied by arched eyebrows)
We get that a LOT (not the arched eyebrows
wink_smile.gif
). Guests assume we live in the house behind us. I tell them we live in the barn...they assume the barn is more guest rooms.

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Freaking me out time! I was just asked that not five minutes ago!
Background - awful guests (one half the party) from CA. Showed at 10pm. We just got word someone we know passed away in WA State, so when they rolled in and said "We have to bring our bags all the way around here!?" We were not in the mood.
Demanded an early breakfast.
While I am COOKING the breakfast the hubby walks in and says "My wife has a restricted diet." Oh? I ask what she can eat, not thrilled about it, let me tell you.
He goes back up and asks HER. He comes back and says Oatmeal. Just plain oatmeal, not flavored or anything.
I don't make oatmeal people. DH does often.
The other place settings have yoghurt muesli blueberry parfait.
They come in and she says "What is this? What am I supposed to do with this?"
My jaw dropped.
She looks at what everyone else has, and then says "Can I have some blueberries"
I go back in and get some out of the freezer and put them in a bowl. She then makes a "me me me" scene abotu her meal. I can't take it, I say to her "We were told you are on a restricted diet and you WANTED only oatmeal."
She replies abruptly "No, I am not on a special diet, I just don't want french toas!"
hm. I go back to my burning breakfast.
Come back with plates piled with french toast, fresh strawberries, icing sugar, two steaming hot sausage patties, canteloupe, honeydew...
I see her eyes.
She says "Oh that looks really good."
Let me say, I have another breakfast delivery to honeymooners and I am not going to bend over for this lady. Since they got here, not apologizing for being late, at all, and demanding this and that, she has been nothing but negative. Her poor husband and the hostages (other couple) traveling with her (who are delightful btw).
Making a big deal out of how wonderful the breakfast was, the best of their trip so far!
So when I go to clear plates, nice lady says "She really liked the sausage, I gave her one of mine." I say again, because I can't stand the attention getters "You could have just eaten what you wanted off the plate" and walk away.
So that was HER comment at check out - "Do you live around here?"
Me, "Yeah right through that door, that door, in there up there and over there."
PS Thanks for allowing me a moment of ventilation here. Phew I feel better.

Oh yes, it seems to be a pretty common question...just another one of those "ice breaker" kind of things when a guest doesn't know what else to say and they are not all that familiar with B & B's. There are so many now where owners don't live on the property. People are just curious I suspect. We all know B & B owners "should" in the traditional sense live in their house..but you just never know these days.

Let me answer it point blank here. I think what YS is getting at, if you are younger and own a very large home, then they think you just "work here."
Then the second assumption is 1) the antiques were handed to you from family members, or 2) came with the house. That is what I hear often. Third is any family photos I have must be either (what is the term Bree? Rent a family?), or came with the house. Oh and lastly, here is a favorite 4) What else do you do?

Almost every guest asks where I am from. It's almost the first question out of their mouths. Where do they think I am from? I sometimes have a bit of fun and make something up. And, they think my husband is the hired help - the gardener, the handyman and best of all, the bellhop!! Too funny. I am very used to it by now. Hubby was a bit insulted when it first happened but he now plays along with it too.
Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!

Almost every guest asks where I am from. It's almost the first question out of their mouths. Where do they think I am from? I sometimes have a bit of fun and make something up. And, they think my husband is the hired help - the gardener, the handyman and best of all, the bellhop!! Too funny. I am very used to it by now. Hubby was a bit insulted when it first happened but he now plays along with it too.
Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!.
vancouverislander said:
Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!
Where are you from?
I have found that a large majority of innkeepers are not from the state they currently live in to run their B&B. Guests notice this as well.

Another question asked is "where are we?" Hmmm, I thought they would know. They booked here and found us, afterall!.
vancouverislander said:
Where are you from?
I have found that a large majority of innkeepers are not from the state they currently live in to run their B&B. Guests notice this as well.
I am Canadian - living in British Columbia for the last 20 years. I am not sure how a European or American guest would know that I am originally from Alberta. And, as far as I know and can tell the Western Provinces have very similar accents - just some of the Eastern Provinces - Newfoundland, in particular, have very distinctive accents!

Let me answer it point blank here. I think what YS is getting at, if you are younger and own a very large home, then they think you just "work here."
Then the second assumption is 1) the antiques were handed to you from family members, or 2) came with the house. That is what I hear often. Third is any family photos I have must be either (what is the term Bree? Rent a family?), or came with the house. Oh and lastly, here is a favorite 4) What else do you do?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Then the second assumption is 1) the antiques were handed to you from family members, or 2) came with the house. That is what I hear often. Third is any family photos I have must be either (what is the term Bree? Rent a family?), or came with the house. Oh and lastly, here is a favorite 4) What else do you do?
We call the framed family photos at antique shops 'instant family'.
The 'what else do you do?' or, 'do you have another job?' question comes up quite a bit. Everyone assumes we're living on our massive retirement income and doing this as a hobby. Or, that this could not possibly be ALL we do.

vancouverislander said:
Where are you from?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
vancouverislander said:
Where are you from?
We get that a lot, in a sarcastic sort of way. There is a definite 'Maine' accent that we do not have. Nor does anyone in my neighborhood in general. I'll say, 'I'm from the Bronx.' Then hubs always adds (in the background), 'You wanna piece a me?' Everyone laughs. I do not have a Bx accent any longer, but I can turn it on at will. I'll then ask, 'Youse wan some maw cawfee? Youse wanna meet my dawg?' And the ever popular, 'I got 2 dawtahs, howse about youse?'

yes, we are asked that question often, as well.for us, i think the reason mainly is because we are young innkeepers. We are in our early 30's so most people think we are the housekeepers (which we are), the innkeepers ( which we are), the kids of the owners, an employee of some sort (which we are) & so on.
We are actually those rare innkeepers, who are natives of the state in which we own our Inn. When people realize we are the owners, they try to hide their surprise(it doesn't work) & then ask us how we were "able to do this"? (we asume they are speaking about financially). We just tell them we believe in hard work & we have always been hard workers because it pays off.

One of my many guesses is that it's because the entryway and front rooms, which are pleasant and clean, are well, pleasant and clean. It's professional. It's clearly a B&B. The hall has a map with pins. The dining room has a sitting area and a rack of brochures. The library has a cc machine, and a chamber of commerce sticker on the window.
It doesn't look like home to two four year olds!
OTOH, the private spaces (both up and down) look like disaster areas!
=)
Kk.

yes, we are asked that question often, as well.for us, i think the reason mainly is because we are young innkeepers. We are in our early 30's so most people think we are the housekeepers (which we are), the innkeepers ( which we are), the kids of the owners, an employee of some sort (which we are) & so on.
We are actually those rare innkeepers, who are natives of the state in which we own our Inn. When people realize we are the owners, they try to hide their surprise(it doesn't work) & then ask us how we were "able to do this"? (we asume they are speaking about financially). We just tell them we believe in hard work & we have always been hard workers because it pays off..
My Mom was from Chicago so I am a blend of WV and Chicawga therefore it is not apparent from the start that I am a WV native. Actually most people in this region do not have the drawl found in southern WV. DH is Illinois but now a WV convert.
We are ancient enough that it is assumed we retired to this. They do get impressed by the photos (I do have a few of grandkids stuck on top of things where I put them when they came) of Miss West Virginia and me with the Governor and the Commissioner of Tourism. DH is going to frame them - someday........

We are actually those rare innkeepers, who are natives of the state in which we own our Inn. When people realize we are the owners, they try to hide their surprise(it doesn't work) & then ask us how we were "able to do this"? (we asume they are speaking about financially). We just tell them we believe in hard work & we have always been hard workers because it pays off..
My Mom was from Chicago so I am a blend of WV and Chicawga therefore it is not apparent from the start that I am a WV native. Actually most people in this region do not have the drawl found in southern WV. DH is Illinois but now a WV convert.
We are ancient enough that it is assumed we retired to this. They do get impressed by the photos (I do have a few of grandkids stuck on top of things where I put them when they came) of Miss West Virginia and me with the Governor and the Commissioner of Tourism. DH is going to frame them - someday........
gillumhouse said:
My parents are in Charleston right now heading east.
regular_smile.gif
They drove across the country to home and if they can just make that last leg of the trip...which is always the hardest.

Back