Do you own a pool or a hot tub?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
I cam across this article and I'm not sure if it will apply to us. It does say all commercial properties. So I guys a Bed and Breakfast falls in that category!
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/25/everyone-out-pool/

It applies to you if you have more than 5 rooms in your B&B or if you don't live there. Of course you also have to have a pool...

Liability issues and insurance alone would prevent me from installing a pool. With this and the regs regarding the suction ports, I would not consider a pool.

BTW, did anyone listen to the PAII webinar on all of the ADA rules that went into effect last week? Just curious what the presenter said about all of the other items besides the pool issue.

I think the topic title should be amended to: Do you own a pool or hot tub? If so, are you out of your mind?
I think we have collectively agreed that people are nasty...even the nice ones. Maintenance on a pool or hot tub would be a full time job. I would not recommend it for a small B&B.
We owned a hot tub for our personal use. We kept it very clean and didn't use lotions or oils etc. before we entered. While it was relaxing, it was a royal pain to keep up with. We eventually sold it to our son.

BTW, did anyone listen to the PAII webinar on all of the ADA rules that went into effect last week? Just curious what the presenter said about all of the other items besides the pool issue..
I think thre is a "stay of execution" until June. When re they going to mandate that mountain climbing be made ADA compliant? Grrrr

We have both but we do live on the property AND are 5 rooms so thankfully we are spared from this change.
PT, you are correct both come with work but they do help bookings. We installed them in the winter of 2004 after having many calls asking if we had a pool. Our summer business (our slow season here) went up significantly. We also found that while they booked after asking about a pool, many did not use.
The main issues we have had were after hours use and guests of guests use; policies are in place and we do inforce them. People do not realize that we have rules for safety concerns.

Back