Do you play music during breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawaiian music is an essential for us. It sets the mood, the tone, and sets us apart from other tropical settings.
Moreover, it seems to help the newly arrived to let go of where they came from..
We occassionally slip in our CDs of Hawaiian Slack Key guitar for breakfast (and we're in West Virginia!). It is very soothing and the guests really enjoy it. We also rotate through other accoustical guitar styles.

We usually play some jazz or new age music in the background just to fill in the low points and not have people feel uncomfortable with the silence. (All our guests eat at once around the same table). I have also used Pandora.com piped from an old computer into the stereo. Pandora works pretty well if you fine tune a few stations on it.

We have different genres of music in our playlists. We have crooners that we'll play when we have really old folks here for a 50th anniversary midweek on their own, they absolutely love that. They will even tell us that was the songplayed at their wedding and how did we know? We have Motown oldies and lovesongs. Some days if there is a single business guest at the table we will put on those songs and they enjoy it, they sing along, and we are singing along as we work in the kitchen. It's called atmosphere and it is contagious. We also have some Celtic music that is happy music, albeit the lyrics are mostly sad, but the tunes are joyful..
I think we're going to get the docking station like Samster mentioned. We did this at our wedding...alternated between French & Irish music thruout the dinner so everyone got to hear what they liked. Of course, the French music included Zydeco!

We usually play some jazz or new age music in the background just to fill in the low points and not have people feel uncomfortable with the silence. (All our guests eat at once around the same table). I have also used Pandora.com piped from an old computer into the stereo. Pandora works pretty well if you fine tune a few stations on it..
swirt said:
We usually play some jazz or new age music in the background just to fill in the low points and not have people feel uncomfortable with the silence. (All our guests eat at once around the same table). I have also used Pandora.com piped from an old computer into the stereo. Pandora works pretty well if you fine tune a few stations on it.
Better still. We just put the old computer in the living room (and since I fixed the problem with the CD drive even that part works again!) So, I just need to dig up the speakers.

hmmmm ... i do remember discussing music here ... quite a while ago.
i played big band/swing mostly.
HANDS DOWN the most popular was the big band, we are talking 40's music. people of all ages would be singing along and laughing to that.
for quieter folks, i'd be playing a couple cd's that i got locally. very popular was a man who plays with sounds of the sea and fog horns and windchimes in the background. very sweet.
at jazz festival time, i had local jazz musicians' cds to play and i DID offer to sell them just to help the local folks.
each b&b finds its own rhythm and 'song' i think.

HANDS DOWN the most popular was the big band, we are talking 40's music. people of all ages would be singing along and laughing to that.
for quieter folks, i'd be playing a couple cd's that i got locally. very popular was a man who plays with sounds of the sea and fog horns and windchimes in the background. very sweet.
at jazz festival time, i had local jazz musicians' cds to play and i DID offer to sell them just to help the local folks.
each b&b finds its own rhythm and 'song' i think..
Various comments -
Big Band / 40s is definitely my default music here - Big Bad VooDoo Daddy is one of my favourite morning choices - Scott Joplin is one of my favourite summer afternoon choices. I LOVE it when guests feel comfortable enough to explore the XM choices or my CD collection. As for at the breakfast table., many of you have heard my stories of the whole room belting out Monty Python songs at the top of their voices. It happens a lot. I think it's the combo of the B&B name and me being English that seems to inevitably lead to discussions of British humor and then inexorably to singing.

I have my satellite feed and we try to match the morning music to the guests and the day/season - classic symphony, smooth jazz, light alternative but as soon as the dining room clears Blueville comes back on and the volume goes up
teeth_smile.gif

It's DH's 60th birthday today... he got a sattelite radio which will soon be playing tunes for the diningroom... our stereo system is in our quarters but we have speakers in the dining room and on the front porch.

It's DH's 60th birthday today... he got a sattelite radio which will soon be playing tunes for the diningroom... our stereo system is in our quarters but we have speakers in the dining room and on the front porch..
A mere child! Tell him Happy Birthday for me.

We put in a cd of classical, jazz, swing/big band. Soft enough to not impede conversation but loud enough to fill silences.
Diana Krall, Nora Jones, Glen Miller Band and Vivaldi are popular. Hubby put Bach on one morning not long ago (I don't know why) and the guests asked if we would mind changing it because it was too heavy. Bach IS too heavy in the morning so hopefully hubby will learn from that.

Various comments -
Big Band / 40s is definitely my default music here - Big Bad VooDoo Daddy is one of my favourite morning choices - Scott Joplin is one of my favourite summer afternoon choices. I LOVE it when guests feel comfortable enough to explore the XM choices or my CD collection. As for at the breakfast table., many of you have heard my stories of the whole room belting out Monty Python songs at the top of their voices. It happens a lot. I think it's the combo of the B&B name and me being English that seems to inevitably lead to discussions of British humor and then inexorably to singing.
The Tipsy Butler said:
As for at the breakfast table., many of you have heard my stories of the whole room belting out Monty Python songs at the top of their voices. It happens a lot.
You have got to find a way to get that on video and onto your website. That is the way to attract more of that kind of people.

Various comments -
The Tipsy Butler said:
As for at the breakfast table., many of you have heard my stories of the whole room belting out Monty Python songs at the top of their voices. It happens a lot.
You have got to find a way to get that on video and onto your website. That is the way to attract more of that kind of people.
swirt said:
The Tipsy Butler said:
Let's hope NOT. The last thing you would want to see online is a video of me singing, 'Always look on the bright side of life.' Altho, I do a really good Sybil from Fawlty Towers. 'Pretentious? Moi?'
Now, if she got other guests to do that, fine. But I would have hammed it up when we were there if she asked!

Various comments -
The Tipsy Butler said:
swirt said:
The Tipsy Butler said:
Let's hope NOT. The last thing you would want to see online is a video of me singing, 'Always look on the bright side of life.' Altho, I do a really good Sybil from Fawlty Towers. 'Pretentious? Moi?'
Now, if she got other guests to do that, fine. But I would have hammed it up when we were there if she asked!
Hmmmm - this has me in a bit of a quandry - I would run a mile if I found a place that encouraged singing "life's a piece of ...... when you think of it". What does that say about me and my guests ???? A little too comfortable ???? All I can say is I seem to get more than my fair share of MP fanatics and while it leaves me shaking my head in the doorway, it definitely makes for a cheerful morning.

Various comments -
The Tipsy Butler said:
swirt said:
The Tipsy Butler said:
Hmmmm - this has me in a bit of a quandry - I would run a mile if I found a place that encouraged singing "life's a piece of ...... when you think of it". What does that say about me and my guests ???? A little too comfortable ???? All I can say is I seem to get more than my fair share of MP fanatics and while it leaves me shaking my head in the doorway, it definitely makes for a cheerful morning.
The Tipsy Butler said:
My daughter grew some plants in her environmental studies class at school and forced all her classmates to say bazzle for the herb she grew, not bay-zil. She has not seen the Fawlty Towers episode with Bazzle the rat. Here is another one we can all enjoy.
rat episode here

Back