Do you play music during breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I think I have a topic that has not been covered, and I am curious about. Do you play music during breakfast, if so what sort do you find guests enjoy? Do you stream it or play a local radio station or have a cd player in the background? Or if you are a musician do you play music for guests?

I put a CD on my computer for a dinner for two. Otherwise the only sound is the lively conversation - unless DH gets past me and is giving a pontificating disertation. Then you also hear me whimper in the kitchen (I do have to live here with him.... they are getting to leave)

We put on a variety of music... but mostly blues, classical, classic rock... depends on the mood and we guess what we think the guests might like. It's soft enought to allow coversation but can be heard if guests want to chair dance while the staff is dancing in the kitchen.

Nope, no music. I'd like to but I find it to sometimes be distracting.

I play classical CDs if I play it at all. I made that choice when I opened because with all the young people, it doesn't get taken.

As a guest I enjoy coming out of my room and there's soft music playing. The Inn's that I remember it, it's always been classical, makes the breakfast feel more special.

Good question!
We do play music at a low volume and try to gear it towards the audience. The stereo is in our reception room is which next to the dining room, so its usually barely audible.
If its during opera season and the house is full of guests who are attending our world class opera house, then the playlist of heavy metal and Nirvana gets skipped. Our own musical tastes are as eclectic as our home is, so it gets interesting.
Being close to tons of outdoor recreation areas, we get many more younger, very active folks and when I see them wince when the classical comes on, I usually can tell I loaded the wrong CD.
Our place is very informal, unpretentious and appeals to all ages and interests, so its really fun for me to fire up itunes and make some nice CD mixes on the spur of the moment.
In fact, if we really connect musically with a guest and they liked what they heard one day or ask about something they heard while here, I'll have a copy burned ready for them as a parting gift when we hand them their reciept at check out. We even allow guests to take CDs with them on their daytrips if they left the ipod at home or didn't pack any music.
That gesture has been greatly appreciated many times and not a lot of effort to do so.

I play CD's and Radio, but very softly,
I try to keep it slow and relaxing.

We are the opposite of most on this forum. We play music louder and more upbeat, not funeral-esque, not background, not classical and unidentifiable. The more the merrier so we play tunes that we know everyone will enjoy. We play local music with their permission and it is always a great topic at the table. In fact we have a cd of all NewFoundland tunes that are singalong type that you can't help but smile as you hear, all fun songs. We have playlists coordinated to the type of tunes on my pc that we play depending on the crowd and the overall mood. Someone said to me once that sitting there in a silent room eating breakfast at a BnB was ghastly. Another guest told me recently about sitting in a dining room at a BnB and having to listen to the clinking in the kitchen and all those noises, they wished there was music to drown it out. Music moves people, so happy music makes the room happy. We do not serve over the top ultrafancy breakfasts, we serve great food and want a great atmosphere.

And then there are the guests who walked in and asked if I play music? I said we didn't and they were happy. Apparently the last B&B had music thruout the inn that they turned on at 7:30 AM to wake everyone up. The guests said they couldn't get away from it, sleeping in was impossible and they did not like it at all.
I know you are saying in the dining room, but this inn figured why not the whole house and get everyone up and out.

Hawaiian music is an essential for us. It sets the mood, the tone, and sets us apart from other tropical settings.
Moreover, it seems to help the newly arrived to let go of where they came from.

And then there are the guests who walked in and asked if I play music? I said we didn't and they were happy. Apparently the last B&B had music thruout the inn that they turned on at 7:30 AM to wake everyone up. The guests said they couldn't get away from it, sleeping in was impossible and they did not like it at all.
I know you are saying in the dining room, but this inn figured why not the whole house and get everyone up and out..
Bree said:
why not the whole house and get everyone up and out.
lol, or, you could have our spaniel/chihuahua cross bark at your door in the morning. She is no longer allowed out until all guests are up and finished breakfast.
I think about music, and sometimes I kick myself for not putting it on as some guests "treat" us to their music from an ipod. No thought towards other guests.

I play music during breakfast everyday. I have certain songs in my ipod that I play for breakfast and it just rotates through each song. I place this in a Bose ipod docking station. The music that I usually have on is Enya or Nora Jones. If it is in the evening I might have on Loreena Mckennit. I've never had a complaint about the music but rather compliments as Enya is relaxing and seems to go with the ocean theme. After breakfast I turn off the ipod and turn the stereo on in the kitchen and have lite music on throughout the day until about 8pm. It can only be heard in the kitchen and the common room. I like having on music because it makes things more lively and not so dead feeling.

I play music during breakfast everyday. I have certain songs in my ipod that I play for breakfast and it just rotates through each song. I place this in a Bose ipod docking station. The music that I usually have on is Enya or Nora Jones. If it is in the evening I might have on Loreena Mckennit. I've never had a complaint about the music but rather compliments as Enya is relaxing and seems to go with the ocean theme. After breakfast I turn off the ipod and turn the stereo on in the kitchen and have lite music on throughout the day until about 8pm. It can only be heard in the kitchen and the common room. I like having on music because it makes things more lively and not so dead feeling..
We just got an MP3 player so maybe we could look at a way to play that during breakfast. Or, figure out a way to play the music from the TV without having the fuzzy snow also on.

I play music during breakfast everyday. I have certain songs in my ipod that I play for breakfast and it just rotates through each song. I place this in a Bose ipod docking station. The music that I usually have on is Enya or Nora Jones. If it is in the evening I might have on Loreena Mckennit. I've never had a complaint about the music but rather compliments as Enya is relaxing and seems to go with the ocean theme. After breakfast I turn off the ipod and turn the stereo on in the kitchen and have lite music on throughout the day until about 8pm. It can only be heard in the kitchen and the common room. I like having on music because it makes things more lively and not so dead feeling..
We just got an MP3 player so maybe we could look at a way to play that during breakfast. Or, figure out a way to play the music from the TV without having the fuzzy snow also on.
Bree said:
If it has a earphone jack you can get a cord that plugs into the earphone jack and one that goes into your phono or AUX jack of the stereo to play your music.

Bree said:
If it has a earphone jack you can get a cord that plugs into the earphone jack and one that goes into your phono or AUX jack of the stereo to play your music.
oceans said:
Bree said:
Ah, this assumes a stereo...we have one but it's not in the inn. There is no room for any hardware, even speakers that hang on the walls would stick out! We have thought about putting the stereo in my closet which is on the other side of the dining room wall. Then the speakers/wires/etc would not have to be run far, just thru the wall.
I guess what's really stopping me is that I like the quiet. If no one wants to talk in the morning, it's peaceful. If they all want to talk, it's one less noise layer. If only a few talk, they don't have to raise their voices.

At my place its never quiet at breakfast. Everyone is always laughing really hard and talking up a storm with each other. I don't know why but it is just the way they are.

Bree said:
oceans said:
Bree said:
Ah, this assumes a stereo...we have one but it's not in the inn. There is no room for any hardware, even speakers that hang on the walls would stick out! We have thought about putting the stereo in my closet which is on the other side of the dining room wall. Then the speakers/wires/etc would not have to be run far, just thru the wall.
I guess what's really stopping me is that I like the quiet. If no one wants to talk in the morning, it's peaceful. If they all want to talk, it's one less noise layer. If only a few talk, they don't have to raise their voices.
If you had an iPod or some other kind of MP3 player, all you need is one of those small docking stations with little speakers, they take up no room at all. They are super inexpensive now too. :)
It is on my list because to get a docking station for my iPod then I could have playlists of the genre of music that I think suits the majority of the crowd at any one time. I play the CD player and try to mix it up from breakfast to the afternoon selections. I've had guests tell me that they enjoy the music while sitting in the living room reading or looking at the paper and also during breakfast. Sometimes if the conversation gets really lively, we will turn it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. It is on during the day as people come and go. Personally, I think it adds a bit of warmth to the house. Just my 2 cents....

oceans,
I'd take that atmosphere as an extraodrinary compliment to the tone you've set.
Our dining room is usually hopping with much humor, conversation and lots of yummy noises. Not in that order and about 1% of the time when we get those "serious" traveler types its "feed 'em and get 'em and get 'em out the door".
Those are some real tough nuts to crack no matter hard any of us try.
Or we get the "inquisators" who don't want ot converse with anybody but pepper us with a zillion questions as if they were insurance adjusters and we were making a claim or something.
Luckily, those types are pretty rare around here. Kill 'em with kindness and eventully even the hardest case will crack a smile or two.

We have different genres of music in our playlists. We have crooners that we'll play when we have really old folks here for a 50th anniversary midweek on their own, they absolutely love that. They will even tell us that was the songplayed at their wedding and how did we know? We have Motown oldies and lovesongs. Some days if there is a single business guest at the table we will put on those songs and they enjoy it, they sing along, and we are singing along as we work in the kitchen. It's called atmosphere and it is contagious. We also have some Celtic music that is happy music, albeit the lyrics are mostly sad, but the tunes are joyful.

Back