Do you provide a Bouquet of Flowers or Roses as an add on?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, seriously folks, I asked about what to put together to make a package and I got hardly any answers. Now, that you started discussing it, I really need help.
I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Okay, seriously folks, I asked about what to put together to make a package and I got hardly any answers. Now, that you started discussing it, I really need help.
I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?
Champagne (not) is being used in the generic way the French are fighting about (and good for them, they should). How about a Prosecco? Usually not as expensive as (real) Champagne. Sparkling wine as long as it's good and not some plonk. If you can serve alcohol, go with the real stuff, not sparkling juice.
I think most people who serve chocolate-covered strawberries make them at home. You don't have to temper the chocolate, although they look much better if you do. You can also dip any kind of larger dried fruits like apricots.
Ask around about the chocolate for boxed chocolates. There is bound to be a chocolatier somewhere nearby! http://chocomap.com/chocolate-map.php
If I lived where you do I would put together a walking tour of (pick something). You get GC's for a variety of places along the way. Lunch, different shops that fit the tour (like a chocolate tour), different museums or whatever. You could do a 'Cathedral Tour' for example. A nightlife tour with stops at different 'famous' bars/bistros/cafes. (Or set them loose on their own on St Catherine St. without a tour map!)
As odd as it may sound to people who like to go and discover on their own, we have a fair number of guests who follow (to the letter) guidebooks. They trust other people to know the best things to see, they want to avoid the 'touristy' things and they're short on time and they don't want to go home and have everyone say, 'Did you see...' and have to say, 'No, we didn't know about that!'
In Canada, to be denoted as Champagne, it must be from the Champagne region. I just checked the gov't alcohol website and the cheapest half bottle is $31.50 and the cheapest full bottle is $44.25. And the cheap "Moet & Chandon" Imperial runs $63.25 a bottle.
Local (ie Canadian) they have a local Quebec for $12.55. They have one from BC for $32.75
Prosecco starts from $14.55 to $30.50 a bottle. Cava from $12.50 to $333 a bottle.
There are two "drinks" we are known for locally ice cider and hydromel (both are sweet). Half bottles of ice cider start from about $20 a bottle. And hydromel (honey wine) starts from about $10 a bottle. There is also some "eau de vie" (fruit brandy) with maple in half bottles for $21 to $25 depending on brand.
I checked one of the chocolate shops, they sell for $1.65 to $2 a piece. I do have to admit that they have them in interesting flavours. I am also working on trying to make my own macarons, but if that doesn't work out, I guess I can buy macarons.
The walking tour sounds interesting. It's harder in the big city to work out deals with businesses that aren't in the immediate vicinity. And some of them don't know how to value relationships. (I found one restaurant that does, but there are millions of people, they don't seem to understand the value of a few.)

I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?.
We just get our champagne at Costco or the grocery store. Usually between $8 & $9 a bottle and it's from our region. It doesn't need to be great champagne. Most people don't drink the whole thing anyway, it's just for celebration.
Our chocolate truffles are also a regional thing. I buy them in bulk. Being in a city, there must be some chocolate that's made in your area/region. It doesn't have to be gourmet, just good. Again, I wouldn't spend a fortune on it or the package will be too expensive once you add on your margin.
I don't do chocolate strawberries because it's a fresh ingredient that I would need to get to the store at the last minute. If you want to do them, just melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and dip the strawberries in them. You can also melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the darker chocolate. Looks great, takes very little effort.
We get our silk rose petals at a craft store. You'll find them in the area where they sell all the wedding stuff. After throwing the petals on the bed, I spray them with rose water and it makes all the room smell like roses.
What the guests really love is the keepsake champagne flutes. They have our logo engraved on them and since most people who order our romance packages are celebrating their anniversary or marriage, they get pleasure out of taking them home to remember their experience. We've been able to get our glasses engraved and shipped for about $6.00 per glass.
Another popular add-on for us is a fondue package. I know that most b&bs can't cook anything other than breakfast which was the way we were until this year. I created the fondue package when we couldn't cook anything, but had no problem with the health dept because indeed we didn't cook anything. I used a purchased box of imported Swiss Fondue, cut up crusty bread and a couple cut up apples. I could buy the fondue for about $10.00 a box (I now have found that Trader Joes has it for $6.00 a box so I stock up), and the cost of a couple apples and bread is only about $3.00 more. I charge $35 for the package and it's only $13 of food cost and the labor to put it together is less than 15 minutes.
When creating your packages, make sure that they are not labor intensive!
Also, it's like analyzing your website. Who is your market, what is it they want?
The only wine at Costco here is "varietal" wine.... basically plonk.
What kind of cost should I aim for, before margin and after margin?

Here in the US Champagne also must come from the Champagne region of France. We include a bottle of sparkling wine with our rooms - ours is from Italy. Most people don't bother to pay the price for Champagne and our wineries make sparkling wine if we need something special.
We get great flowers sometimes 10 roses (for two rooms) or some lillies for around $7 at Giant grocery store. Our flowers also come with the room rate.
I can get a great dozen roses long stemmed at Whole Foods for 15 - 20$ depending and I charge $40
I buy blocks of Belgium chocolate at a local grocery store Foods of all Nations and melt in the microwave to coat the strawberries. I offer 6 for $12
Riki

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?
Champagne (not) is being used in the generic way the French are fighting about (and good for them, they should). How about a Prosecco? Usually not as expensive as (real) Champagne. Sparkling wine as long as it's good and not some plonk. If you can serve alcohol, go with the real stuff, not sparkling juice.
I think most people who serve chocolate-covered strawberries make them at home. You don't have to temper the chocolate, although they look much better if you do. You can also dip any kind of larger dried fruits like apricots.
Ask around about the chocolate for boxed chocolates. There is bound to be a chocolatier somewhere nearby! http://chocomap.com/chocolate-map.php
If I lived where you do I would put together a walking tour of (pick something). You get GC's for a variety of places along the way. Lunch, different shops that fit the tour (like a chocolate tour), different museums or whatever. You could do a 'Cathedral Tour' for example. A nightlife tour with stops at different 'famous' bars/bistros/cafes. (Or set them loose on their own on St Catherine St. without a tour map!)
As odd as it may sound to people who like to go and discover on their own, we have a fair number of guests who follow (to the letter) guidebooks. They trust other people to know the best things to see, they want to avoid the 'touristy' things and they're short on time and they don't want to go home and have everyone say, 'Did you see...' and have to say, 'No, we didn't know about that!'
In Canada, to be denoted as Champagne, it must be from the Champagne region. I just checked the gov't alcohol website and the cheapest half bottle is $31.50 and the cheapest full bottle is $44.25. And the cheap "Moet & Chandon" Imperial runs $63.25 a bottle.
Local (ie Canadian) they have a local Quebec for $12.55. They have one from BC for $32.75
Prosecco starts from $14.55 to $30.50 a bottle. Cava from $12.50 to $333 a bottle.
There are two "drinks" we are known for locally ice cider and hydromel (both are sweet). Half bottles of ice cider start from about $20 a bottle. And hydromel (honey wine) starts from about $10 a bottle. There is also some "eau de vie" (fruit brandy) with maple in half bottles for $21 to $25 depending on brand.
I checked one of the chocolate shops, they sell for $1.65 to $2 a piece. I do have to admit that they have them in interesting flavours. I am also working on trying to make my own macarons, but if that doesn't work out, I guess I can buy macarons.
The walking tour sounds interesting. It's harder in the big city to work out deals with businesses that aren't in the immediate vicinity. And some of them don't know how to value relationships. (I found one restaurant that does, but there are millions of people, they don't seem to understand the value of a few.)
I've stopped trying to convince retailers that working with other local businesses is good for everyone. I pay full price for everything I buy and pass it on to the guest.
I try to clear $5 on each component of the package. So a package with 4 items nets me $20 if I do it right. Sometimes I have to pay a liitle more than I planned for one item, so I find something a little less for the other items.
What you also need to consider is the price of your rooms. An example is a place near here that charges $300+/night. If you're paying that without blinking then a $50 cheese platter seems right in line. $25 for 6 chocolate covered strawberries, not a big deal.
My add on packages run from $20 to $35, which is in line with my room prices. However, packages generally include $100+ in added cost to the guest. There is usually a dinner in there at a moderately-priced restaurant. ($15-$22 entrees.)

We just get our champagne at Costco or the grocery store. Usually between $8 & $9 a bottle and it's from our region. It doesn't need to be great champagne. Most people don't drink the whole thing anyway, it's just for celebration.
Our chocolate truffles are also a regional thing. I buy them in bulk. Being in a city, there must be some chocolate that's made in your area/region. It doesn't have to be gourmet, just good. Again, I wouldn't spend a fortune on it or the package will be too expensive once you add on your margin.
I don't do chocolate strawberries because it's a fresh ingredient that I would need to get to the store at the last minute. If you want to do them, just melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and dip the strawberries in them. You can also melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the darker chocolate. Looks great, takes very little effort.
We get our silk rose petals at a craft store. You'll find them in the area where they sell all the wedding stuff. After throwing the petals on the bed, I spray them with rose water and it makes all the room smell like roses.
What the guests really love is the keepsake champagne flutes. They have our logo engraved on them and since most people who order our romance packages are celebrating their anniversary or marriage, they get pleasure out of taking them home to remember their experience. We've been able to get our glasses engraved and shipped for about $6.00 per glass.
Another popular add-on for us is a fondue package. I know that most b&bs can't cook anything other than breakfast which was the way we were until this year. I created the fondue package when we couldn't cook anything, but had no problem with the health dept because indeed we didn't cook anything. I used a purchased box of imported Swiss Fondue, cut up crusty bread and a couple cut up apples. I could buy the fondue for about $10.00 a box (I now have found that Trader Joes has it for $6.00 a box so I stock up), and the cost of a couple apples and bread is only about $3.00 more. I charge $35 for the package and it's only $13 of food cost and the labor to put it together is less than 15 minutes.
Also, it's like analyzing your website. Who is your market, what is it they want?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Here we can get a liquor license so we purchase wholesale. If you can't do that, I would visit a local wine store. My wine store here has some great wine for $12.65. That's the cheapest she has that is decent. Our sparkling wholesale is $7
If you have to buy retail, purchase by the case so you get a discount
I would double the price that you pay.
Riki

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I like the idea of your local drinks. They might pair well with some kind of sweet treat? Perhaps you could offer a romance dessert package.
I sold a lot of cheese and fruit trays. Even though we're in walking distance to quite a few restaurants (even more have opened since we closed the biz), when people arrived here exhausted, they loved the fruit/cheese tray waiting in their room. I jazzed up the presentation quite a bit. We also included complimentary afternoon sweet treats and 24/7 coffee, tea, and cold beverages, so they basically had a "meal" with the cheese/fruit tray and they could chill in their rooms after dealing with travel. (All our rooms had a sitting area with a table.)
We have a 26 mile riverwalk within a few blocks of us and I thought people would love a picnic on the river. I never sold one of those packages.
I think you need to look at why people stay with you. If they come to your city to sight-see, for specific events, biz travel, etc. Then, you can tailor your packages to suit your guest demographic.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Here we can get a liquor license so we purchase wholesale. If you can't do that, I would visit a local wine store. My wine store here has some great wine for $12.65. That's the cheapest she has that is decent. Our sparkling wholesale is $7
Riki
There is a store where we get 15% for buying a dozen bottles. I always buy from there. And they sometimes have clearances when they have imbalances, so I have bought some of those too...
I guess I worry about the price of wine, since it's so dear here. Usually quite more than you pay. For example, Veuve Cliquot Rose is $80.25 a bottle around here. What's it sell for around you?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Riki
There is a store where we get 15% for buying a dozen bottles. I always buy from there. And they sometimes have clearances when they have imbalances, so I have bought some of those too...
I guess I worry about the price of wine, since it's so dear here. Usually quite more than you pay. For example, Veuve Cliquot Rose is $80.25 a bottle around here. What's it sell for around you?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have no idea. I refuse to spend more than $30 for a bottle of wine.
RIki

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Riki
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I have no idea. I refuse to spend more than $30 for a bottle of wine.
RIki
I looked it up, just to give you an idea of what kind of alcohol taxes we pay. The lowest I saw was $46.13 in Florida and the highest was $60.48 which makes us at least 32% higher than normal.
And just to give you an idea, the cheapest plonk around here starts at $7. Yellow Tail Chardonnay, which I have seen all over the US... is $13 for a single bottle around here.
Alcohol taxes are very high around here. It's just our reality.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Riki
A lot of our Canadian guests comment on the price of wine here compared with what they pay at home. If having wine in a package is going to raise the price too high (especially for guests who don't know about the taxes) then it would be better to skip wine altogether.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
My packages include lodging, breakfast, either a packed lunch or a dinner (and I am phasing out the dinners as too much work), and a turn by turn routing to site-see the area - taking them to covered bidges, craft shops, antique shops, and a winery. I use my hand-blown goblets and local sparkling cider as a feel-good gift from us for anniversaries/honeymoon or something special like we just bought our house.... I always include 3 or more items in a package so the individual prices could not be determined since room cost is posted on the web site, that is easy but the breakdown of the other things is not. I also include propritary info - the routing as a fee but that is an extra $5 or $10 over the other things.. I never thought to add things I had to depend on others to include - as in flowers, chocolates, and wine never crossed my mind.
In your city a walking tour of architecture, cathedrals, marking nice restaurants here and there for lunch or antique shops, whatever type of tour and I suggest several dfferent ones. These need to be street by street cross, turn right or turn left type directions preferably with street name and a landmark shop/church as a landmark where they are to turn.
I found out early on to NOT give a guest a price break. I sold a lady 2 more goblets so she would have a set of 4. I sold them to her fo $5 and from her expression I KNOW she was disappointed. She would have been happier if I had charged her $10 EACH. In her eyes, I had devalued the goblets. (I had paid 50 cents each at that time at the glass factory.)
You have to walk a delicate balance between devalue and over-charge.

I never thought to have add-ons. The only time flowers were requested as an add-on Mr. Romance wanted 4 dozen red carnations for his lady. Back then I THINK I charged him $50 and the florist charged me $40.

trouble is we are a bit spoilt here as france is so close. I know people who do a yearly trip and fill up the car! We arn't liscenced so can't even give it away. However our supermarket does a special deal about every 3 weeks of $20 for 2 starters, 2 main, 2 desserts and a drink (ie two full size bottles of non alcoholic wine) so we get that as its a really good deal and use the free wine for a give away! Makes us look good to the guest and costs nothing can't beat that.

Breakfast Diva said:
That's a lovely idea, where do you get them from?

Breakfast Diva said:
That's a lovely idea, where do you get them from?
We get them from a local person, but we were told this past order will be their last, so I'll be searching for a new supplier next year. There are a lot out there if you do an internet search. The really cheap ones are not engraved, they have a label slapped on them (think of the cheap wine glasses at a winery), so you have to be careful of the quality. Ours have to hold up to being washed over and over since we supply each guest room with wine glasses.

Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work...[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

Flowers Toronto[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

We charged $5 above what the price of the flowers were..
EmptyNest said:
We charged $5 above what the price of the flowers were.
I need a markup percent here! I have quotes from a florist for packages ranging from $15 for a single rose in vase to $115 for 2 dozen roses in vase, so I need to arrive at a percent markup. Charging $5 above the price of the flowers sounds like too much for a $15 rose, and too little for the $115 package.
Here are the amounts I've been quoted (all include vase, a personalized card, and delivery):
  • 2 doz. roses $115
  • 1 doz. roses $60
  • Mixed seasonal bouquet $40
  • 6 roses $35
  • 1 rose $15
What would y'all sell these packages for? What sounds about right?
I assume I'll buy them with no sales tax then I'll charge the tax when I resell them.

We charged $5 above what the price of the flowers were..
EmptyNest said:
We charged $5 above what the price of the flowers were.
I need a markup percent here! I have quotes from a florist for packages ranging from $15 for a single rose in vase to $115 for 2 dozen roses in vase, so I need to arrive at a percent markup. Charging $5 above the price of the flowers sounds like too much for a $15 rose, and too little for the $115 package.
Here are the amounts I've been quoted (all include vase, a personalized card, and delivery):
  • 2 doz. roses $115
  • 1 doz. roses $60
  • Mixed seasonal bouquet $40
  • 6 roses $35
  • 1 rose $15
What would y'all sell these packages for? What sounds about right?
I assume I'll buy them with no sales tax then I'll charge the tax when I resell them.
And I thought I was getting hosed @ $5.00 for rose w/water pik, greenery, and baby's breath (I pick it up in town).
This is not in a vase - but could I suggest you visit a few garage/yard sales this summer where you will be able to buy a ton of bud vases for 25 to 50 cents each. Fill with water and add the flower from the florist. Then YOU charge $15!!!

$30 for a small, seasonal bouquet. I don't do roses. It costs me $25 to get the flowers at the florist. The grocery store flowers are half dead unless you have time to pick them out one at a time.

I am asking as I hadn't had many takers on the add ons this year, more for the cheese fruit crackers package itself. I am rethinking my flowers only price and maybe it is too low, maybe I need to raise it. The dude emailed last night for today's check in said if I can't get them, then to have a vase available for him and he will buy some. This pretty much tanned my hide and made me think about this "rush" and extra charge for next day delivery, thing, and maybe I need to charge more for flowers alone..
We do a dozen red roses in a vase. We buy them for $45 and Charge $69 for them. This is not a money maker for anyone. This is simply a reason for guest to maybe pick you over another property. If im a guests and want to have flowers waiting for my wife when we arrive at your B and B, its easier for me to click that add on while making a reservation with you. I don't want to have to try and figure out where to buy flowers and mess with the process of ordering them and making sure they arrive before we do. But like I said, its not a money maker. Its on the low end of profit of the pkgs we offer.

Back