Do you provide a Bouquet of Flowers or Roses as an add on?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If so, what do you charge? (Just a bouquet of flowers, not combined packages, so if you can break it down if it is in a combine package)

Seasonal flowers $40; Roses $60 - were offered as an add-on. The roses were probably underpriced but I got them for a good price at the wholesale florist. We didn't have too many takers just for the flowers. Most folks booked the flowers, chocolate dipped strawberries, and sparkling cider/non-alcohol champagne package.

As a package, we have an Anniversary/Honeymoon Pkg which has champagne, truffles, keepsake engraved champagne flutes, silk rose petals on the bed. ($55)This is a highly popular add-on. Our "Deluxe" version adds a dozen red roses. We charge an additional $55 for the roses.
We don't have the roses themselves as an add-on because I want them to actually spend more money with our add-ons.
We have 2 nice florist shops in a nearby town (20 minutes), but they charge a lot ($90). We actually have a nice florist section in our local chain supermarket and they will do a beautiful arrangement for $29. We charge the guest $55 for that arrangement.
The biggest downside for us with guests ordering flowers is that we have to schedule going to town the day before or day of. Not a big deal in slower times, but a pain in the busy season.

I used to have just a bouquet. Because store flowers here are absolutely awful (DOA) I had to get bouquets at a florist. I charged $25 and it was strictly a pass thru cost. If I could get decent flowers at the grocery store I would still charge $25 as the nicer flowers there (not all carnations) run about $19.99.
So, now I have a package with flowers. It allows me some leeway with the funds to get better flowers. They're still crap.

As a package, we have an Anniversary/Honeymoon Pkg which has champagne, truffles, keepsake engraved champagne flutes, silk rose petals on the bed. ($55)This is a highly popular add-on. Our "Deluxe" version adds a dozen red roses. We charge an additional $55 for the roses.
We don't have the roses themselves as an add-on because I want them to actually spend more money with our add-ons.
We have 2 nice florist shops in a nearby town (20 minutes), but they charge a lot ($90). We actually have a nice florist section in our local chain supermarket and they will do a beautiful arrangement for $29. We charge the guest $55 for that arrangement.
The biggest downside for us with guests ordering flowers is that we have to schedule going to town the day before or day of. Not a big deal in slower times, but a pain in the busy season..
Breakfast Diva said:
We actually have a nice florist section in our local chain supermarket and they will do a beautiful arrangement for $29. We charge the guest $55 for that arrangement.
Maybe I should look into that. They may keep the better flowers in reserve for arrangements. I'll have to check.

The biggest downside for us with guests ordering flowers is that we have to schedule going to town the day before or day of. Not a big deal in slower times, but a pain in the busy season..
Here is a thought, just like overnighting something costs more if you need it "NEXT DAY" how about the same with flowers? I ask for 48 hours notice (preferably on the reservation itself), but at least 48 hours notice. This ocurred to me last night, why don't WE charge a "RUSH" florists certainly do!
I know many order packages I wanted to know what the flower cost is IN THE PACKAGE, which is why I specified that. How much of a mark up for your time and travel or however you get them. I mean feasibly we can order from Proflowers and get the freshest bouquet sent right to our doors, right? If we had notice. :)

I am asking as I hadn't had many takers on the add ons this year, more for the cheese fruit crackers package itself. I am rethinking my flowers only price and maybe it is too low, maybe I need to raise it. The dude emailed last night for today's check in said if I can't get them, then to have a vase available for him and he will buy some. This pretty much tanned my hide and made me think about this "rush" and extra charge for next day delivery, thing, and maybe I need to charge more for flowers alone.

I am asking as I hadn't had many takers on the add ons this year, more for the cheese fruit crackers package itself. I am rethinking my flowers only price and maybe it is too low, maybe I need to raise it. The dude emailed last night for today's check in said if I can't get them, then to have a vase available for him and he will buy some. This pretty much tanned my hide and made me think about this "rush" and extra charge for next day delivery, thing, and maybe I need to charge more for flowers alone..
what is your cost and what are you charging?
The reason I don't offer just flowers is that it's not worth my time and effort. If it's included in an add-on package, at least I'm making more for doing the same amount of work.

I am asking as I hadn't had many takers on the add ons this year, more for the cheese fruit crackers package itself. I am rethinking my flowers only price and maybe it is too low, maybe I need to raise it. The dude emailed last night for today's check in said if I can't get them, then to have a vase available for him and he will buy some. This pretty much tanned my hide and made me think about this "rush" and extra charge for next day delivery, thing, and maybe I need to charge more for flowers alone..
The reason I don't offer just flowers is that it's not worth my time and effort. If it's included in an add-on package, at least I'm making more for doing the same amount of work.
Breakfast Diva said:
$33 mixed fragrant bouquet
Dozen roses $60 (These I can get for a great price in the vase) but no one orders them.
I too add them to packages which seems to be the best bang for the buck. I might rethink my packages (add ons) for 2012. I did a romantic getaway package that INCLUDED these, The Love Shack Baby. People then booked that room, but didn't book that package. I find people have been fickle in 2011.
Not trying to look for another source for flowers or different packaging, just to say - go ahead and share I won't but your head off this time, this is not something that needs FIXING, I am just rehashing it and asking what YOU DO). If anyone does anything totally different THAT IS WHAT I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR!
Maybe if I included a jar of moonshine*

I would call your local florist and see what they charge for a seasonal bouquet and a dozen roses and go from there to charge a few dollars more. (You've probably already thought of this.) People are paying for the convenience of you doing the work for them! I think that most folks would expect to pay that going rate at least if they've ordered flowers recently. I don't know that people would be willing to pay an upcharge for ordering within 24 hours, but it'll be interesting to see the discussion here.
I made about $20 profit for seasonal flowers and $30 for roses above the cost to me of just the flowers. I had large bouquets too. That doesn't include my time and gas, of course.
BUT, most people didn't take their flowers with them and I could "recycle" them throughout the inn.
wink_smile.gif

Okay, seriously folks, I asked about what to put together to make a package and I got hardly any answers. Now, that you started discussing it, I really need help.
I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?

I would call your local florist and see what they charge for a seasonal bouquet and a dozen roses and go from there to charge a few dollars more. (You've probably already thought of this.) People are paying for the convenience of you doing the work for them! I think that most folks would expect to pay that going rate at least if they've ordered flowers recently. I don't know that people would be willing to pay an upcharge for ordering within 24 hours, but it'll be interesting to see the discussion here.
I made about $20 profit for seasonal flowers and $30 for roses above the cost to me of just the flowers. I had large bouquets too. That doesn't include my time and gas, of course.
BUT, most people didn't take their flowers with them and I could "recycle" them throughout the inn.
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Our local florist who delivered on 2 ocassion flowers that were dead, heads dropped in under 24 hours and refused to refund the money. I love florists who do this, the person on the order end would never be told, so they can deliver the worst, or NOT the same flowers ordered. Will they ask the person undergoing chemo if they got the right flowers? Of course not. So instead of long stemmed yellow roses they get mums. Happens ALL THE TIME.
Oops did I just go off on a well meaning tangent?

Okay, seriously folks, I asked about what to put together to make a package and I got hardly any answers. Now, that you started discussing it, I really need help.
I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?
Eric if you can provide alcoholic beverages and want to, then that would be what I suggest. You could do like Kathleen's linen choice and ask what champagne they prefer? Give them three choices.
For chocolate and being in a city, I would find a chocolatier and get some fine hand crafted chocolates, see if they will sell wholesale to you, mine come in a box from the store, I have no options here, so I don't even offer chocolates anymore. Regional is best. I WISH!! The strawberries you dip yourself.

Here is a thought, just like overnighting something costs more if you need it "NEXT DAY" how about the same with flowers? I ask for 48 hours notice (preferably on the reservation itself), but at least 48 hours notice. This ocurred to me last night, why don't WE charge a "RUSH" florists certainly do!
I know many order packages I wanted to know what the flower cost is IN THE PACKAGE, which is why I specified that. How much of a mark up for your time and travel or however you get them. I mean feasibly we can order from Proflowers and get the freshest bouquet sent right to our doors, right? If we had notice. :)
Essentially no mark up. The flowers don't look that good to start with, I'd feel guilty charging any more for them. Now, if I find the grocery store does a really nice arrangement with good flowers, then $10-$15. Overall markup on any package is generally between $10-$15 depending on what it is. I also round up on packages. So, if all the parts come to $46, I'll round up to $49 or $50.
For all other packages where I have to buy GC's I charge $5 over the cost of the GC for my time. (Given that I limit myself to things I can walk to, I'm making $20/hour to walk over to the store and pick up the GC. And, I get to chat with friends and sometimes I get a comp'd glass of wine or some nibbles at a restaurant. There's no mileage or gas involved. Even if all I do is print an online GC from a local destination I charge $5. Most of the destinations cut me some slack on the price so I split the difference with the guest. It usually works out to $5.)

I don't really have any packages or add-ons. I know that I should. Getting flowers, being that I'm in the city, is easy. But things like Champagne are expensive around here. What do people think of Cava or Frizanté or sparkling wine? Or am I better with a sparkling non-alcoholic juice. Where do I get chocolate covered strawberries? Since I don't like chocolate, how do I know where they have the kind of chocolate people want in the room? Any other packages or ideas? Please? Pretty please?.
We just get our champagne at Costco or the grocery store. Usually between $8 & $9 a bottle and it's from our region. It doesn't need to be great champagne. Most people don't drink the whole thing anyway, it's just for celebration.
Our chocolate truffles are also a regional thing. I buy them in bulk. Being in a city, there must be some chocolate that's made in your area/region. It doesn't have to be gourmet, just good. Again, I wouldn't spend a fortune on it or the package will be too expensive once you add on your margin.
I don't do chocolate strawberries because it's a fresh ingredient that I would need to get to the store at the last minute. If you want to do them, just melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and dip the strawberries in them. You can also melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the darker chocolate. Looks great, takes very little effort.
We get our silk rose petals at a craft store. You'll find them in the area where they sell all the wedding stuff. After throwing the petals on the bed, I spray them with rose water and it makes all the room smell like roses.
What the guests really love is the keepsake champagne flutes. They have our logo engraved on them and since most people who order our romance packages are celebrating their anniversary or marriage, they get pleasure out of taking them home to remember their experience. We've been able to get our glasses engraved and shipped for about $6.00 per glass.
Another popular add-on for us is a fondue package. I know that most b&bs can't cook anything other than breakfast which was the way we were until this year. I created the fondue package when we couldn't cook anything, but had no problem with the health dept because indeed we didn't cook anything. I used a purchased box of imported Swiss Fondue, cut up crusty bread and a couple cut up apples. I could buy the fondue for about $10.00 a box (I now have found that Trader Joes has it for $6.00 a box so I stock up), and the cost of a couple apples and bread is only about $3.00 more. I charge $35 for the package and it's only $13 of food cost and the labor to put it together is less than 15 minutes.
When creating your packages, make sure that they are not labor intensive!
Also, it's like analyzing your website. Who is your market, what is it they want?

Joey Bloggs said:
The dude emailed last night for today's check in said if I can't get them, then to have a vase available for him and he will buy some. This pretty much tanned my hide and made me think about this "rush" and extra charge for next day delivery, thing, and maybe I need to charge more for flowers alone.
I think you have a good price for the flowers. Maybe go up by $6-7.
Guests don't really consider that getting flowers is not something you can just drop everything and go do. They think there are elves (gnomes) that do all of the grunt work and all we do is arrange flowers!

Breakfast Diva said:
Dozen roses $60 (These I can get for a great price in the vase) but no one orders them.
I too add them to packages which seems to be the best bang for the buck. I might rethink my packages (add ons) for 2012. I did a romantic getaway package that INCLUDED these, The Love Shack Baby. People then booked that room, but didn't book that package. I find people have been fickle in 2011.
Not trying to look for another source for flowers or different packaging, just to say - go ahead and share I won't but your head off this time, this is not something that needs FIXING, I am just rehashing it and asking what YOU DO). If anyone does anything totally different THAT IS WHAT I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR!
I could see a moonshine package. Not sure what you could use in place of the real stuff to keep on the right side of the law! Maybe that's where you get your picnic lunch back on track... a moonshiners road map. Not that you would send them anywhere they'd really run into moonshiners, but places from the movie that are 'safe'. And you pack a lunch with white wine in quart jars.
I know, nothing to do with flowers.

Breakfast Diva said:
I could see a moonshine package. Not sure what you could use in place of the real stuff to keep on the right side of the law! Maybe that's where you get your picnic lunch back on track... a moonshiners road map. Not that you would send them anywhere they'd really run into moonshiners, but places from the movie that are 'safe'. And you pack a lunch with white wine in quart jars.
Madeleine said:
Nope not asking for moonshine packages. It is good to know I am not the only one with innkeepers ADD.
tounge_smile.gif
My pies are done, adios!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Champagne (not) is being used in the generic way the French are fighting about (and good for them, they should). How about a Prosecco? Usually not as expensive as (real) Champagne. Sparkling wine as long as it's good and not some plonk. If you can serve alcohol, go with the real stuff, not sparkling juice.
I think most people who serve chocolate-covered strawberries make them at home. You don't have to temper the chocolate, although they look much better if you do. You can also dip any kind of larger dried fruits like apricots.
Ask around about the chocolate for boxed chocolates. There is bound to be a chocolatier somewhere nearby! http://chocomap.com/chocolate-map.php
If I lived where you do I would put together a walking tour of (pick something). You get GC's for a variety of places along the way. Lunch, different shops that fit the tour (like a chocolate tour), different museums or whatever. You could do a 'Cathedral Tour' for example. A nightlife tour with stops at different 'famous' bars/bistros/cafes. (Or set them loose on their own on St Catherine St. without a tour map!)
As odd as it may sound to people who like to go and discover on their own, we have a fair number of guests who follow (to the letter) guidebooks. They trust other people to know the best things to see, they want to avoid the 'touristy' things and they're short on time and they don't want to go home and have everyone say, 'Did you see...' and have to say, 'No, we didn't know about that!'

Back