Do you provide a newspaper or papers for your guests? Magazines?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Do you provide a newspaper or papers for your guests? Magazines?

Not individual papers, but we do have the big local paper. All kinds of magazines. Some just start coming in the mail for free.

Local daily paper, Backyard Living and Birds & Blooms Magazine, plus some historically natured magazines/papers. Wish we could get a big paper delivered here but no dice.

daily Washington Post, Sunday Post and New York Times, assorted mags like Discover, MS Living, Smithsonian, Blue Ridge County, etc. - can you tell we are serious newspaper/mag junkies ourselves?

An innmate from the forum shared with me about a guest who absolutely loves their local town paper. I am always somewhat embarrassed about ours, esp when they make a big ado about nothing. I am trying to have it available to guests more often.
Do you like to read a local paper when out and about? Not the tourism rag or any of the entertainment weekly mags.

We get the daily newspaper from our County seat (Big City). We have goten the dauly from the City to the north 0 but no one read it and although DH likes it better, there is little news from OUR county so we dropped it. We also get the local weekly and they are available to guests. There are magazines in each guestroom - most of which just showed up in the mailbox. We also provide a copy of the State Tourism magazine in each guestroom and we do tell the guests that "all printed materials - magazines & books - on the second floor are there to be "stolen" and they DO NOT come back!"

I do get a weekly newspaper in the mail from a city close by (a great city that brings even more draw to the area) anyway they list things to do for the weekend. You bet I have that out so all could see. A great resource for blogging too! I also get our state conservation magazine and also one for kids (these are free). We have the perfect place for them.

We have a couple of the usual mag. subs., plus the newspaper from the largest city nearby (80,000 pop.).
We're also halfway between two major cities, so I always look to see where the guests are from. If they are close to one of those, we pick that up as well.

daily Washington Post, Sunday Post and New York Times, assorted mags like Discover, MS Living, Smithsonian, Blue Ridge County, etc. - can you tell we are serious newspaper/mag junkies ourselves?.
Jealous, jealous, jealous!

An innmate from the forum shared with me about a guest who absolutely loves their local town paper. I am always somewhat embarrassed about ours, esp when they make a big ado about nothing. I am trying to have it available to guests more often.
Do you like to read a local paper when out and about? Not the tourism rag or any of the entertainment weekly mags..
Gomez LOVES the local paper when we're traveling. Think about it this way- guests WANT to know what's important to the locals, or, if they're cynical, they want to snicker (and then wish that a dog digging up the flowers around the town green was all that happened in their neck of the woods!)
We probably have 10 different magazines (at least). We're also magazine junkies. I think I pay for 6-7 and the rest come free. Don't know whose mailing list I got on but most of what shows up is perfect.

We have a couple of the usual mag. subs., plus the newspaper from the largest city nearby (80,000 pop.).
We're also halfway between two major cities, so I always look to see where the guests are from. If they are close to one of those, we pick that up as well..
We always have the daily paper available, plus our weekly local paper and our neighboring town paper (big tourist destination). We also have numerous magazines (many free) and local books on the history of our area. These are very popular with the guests.

Yes, and yes. I also pick up USA Today for biz guests. With staggered breakfast times, reading the newspaper gives them something to do if they really don't want to chat in the morning. :)

Our local (town) paper never gets read; well let me rephrase, it gets picked up and plopped back down. Neighboring big city paper was read by about 1 in 10 to 15 guests so for that I stopped subscribing. Oh, and for another reason, the few that do read brought it to the breakfast table...
cry_smile.gif

Magazines - lots. Some regional too which are the most commonly read.

I enjoy reading the local paper when on vacation! I think it's fun to see what's going on in a different city, I never read OUR papers....same old same old stuff!
regular_smile.gif

I enjoy reading the local paper when on vacation! I think it's fun to see what's going on in a different city, I never read OUR papers....same old same old stuff!
regular_smile.gif
I know what you mean. Got the invoice for 2010 and asked husband..do we want to renew? He said the only thing he reads is the comics...nuff said. No renew this year.

We used to carry the "local paper," population 500,000, but no one read it. When we stopped, we had 2-3 people ask about it. We carry Rachael Ray and Reader's Digest, along with some Martha Stewart and mish mash, but they rarely get read. I think it was Ladies' Home Journal or Better Homes and Gardens that lead the most popular magazines either in the mail or newstands.

Our first few years we subscribed to the big city paper and many magazines. Since we're rural, we get only a weekly local paper. After a few years, the cost of the paper (we were paying for 4 papers daily since breakfast is delivered to their rooms) kept rising and also dealing with all the papers just got too much. We also used to subscribe to several magazine, some paid for, some delivered free.
We have always recycled and composted. We've actually gotten to the point where we were able to stop trash pick-up about 7 years ago. We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump. We're now a certified "green" lodging and I stopped all deliveries except for one Sunday big city paper and the once weekly local. We keep the old magazines in all the rooms since they're still filled with area information, recipes, etc. I've only had 1 guest say over the last several years make a comment on the old magaines. Because we also live in an area where there is a lot of clear cutting, morally, I feel the need to cut back on excessive paper products. That's just the way we've decided to do business and I have no moral judgements on how others deal with it.

Our first few years we subscribed to the big city paper and many magazines. Since we're rural, we get only a weekly local paper. After a few years, the cost of the paper (we were paying for 4 papers daily since breakfast is delivered to their rooms) kept rising and also dealing with all the papers just got too much. We also used to subscribe to several magazine, some paid for, some delivered free.
We have always recycled and composted. We've actually gotten to the point where we were able to stop trash pick-up about 7 years ago. We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump. We're now a certified "green" lodging and I stopped all deliveries except for one Sunday big city paper and the once weekly local. We keep the old magazines in all the rooms since they're still filled with area information, recipes, etc. I've only had 1 guest say over the last several years make a comment on the old magaines. Because we also live in an area where there is a lot of clear cutting, morally, I feel the need to cut back on excessive paper products. That's just the way we've decided to do business and I have no moral judgements on how others deal with it..
Breakfast Diva wrote -
We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump.
WOW!!! Wish I could get down to 1 large rolling garbage bin a WEEK! My guests leave a lot of trash!

We have always recycled and composted. We've actually gotten to the point where we were able to stop trash pick-up about 7 years ago. We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump. We're now a certified "green" lodging and I stopped all deliveries except for one Sunday big city paper and the once weekly local. We keep the old magazines in all the rooms since they're still filled with area information, recipes, etc. I've only had 1 guest say over the last several years make a comment on the old magaines. Because we also live in an area where there is a lot of clear cutting, morally, I feel the need to cut back on excessive paper products. That's just the way we've decided to do business and I have no moral judgements on how others deal with it..
Breakfast Diva wrote -
We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump.
WOW!!! Wish I could get down to 1 large rolling garbage bin a WEEK! My guests leave a lot of trash!
Ours do too, especially in the busy season. We are rural, so we still have the ability to burn paper (not newspapers or mags). That helps a lot. Since the beginning of the year, our state was one of the first to have return deposit on water bottles. We're fortunate to have a good recycling program in our larger (4500 people) 1/2 hour away.
It really takes a committment to do all this recycling and composting, but worth it in the long run. Especially when I hear how expensive it is to have garbage pick up in our rural area!

Breakfast Diva wrote -
Ours do, too. But we recycle most of it. We, too, got rid of the garbage service and are down to 2 BIG cans/month in season.

Back