Do you recycle your used soap bars, shampoo, and amenities?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcZ

Reaction score
I have read a few B&B blogs where innkeepers talk about programs such as this one I came across earlier called Clean the World. http://cleantheworld.org/B&B-Program.asp It seems like a great concept in that your used soaps and such are collected to be used in communities where basic needs such as soap are lacking. Have any of you used this service or like services for recycling your amenities?

Clean the World charges $50/year for you to send them your used soap. And you pay the shipping, too. We tried to go together for our local association, but NO, CTW wants $50 from each individual inn.

I won't send to Clean the World because of the cost. I would be happy to send it some where if it did not cost me anything. Instead I use as much of it as I can for myself, give it away to anyone who wants it and donate the rest to the homeless center for the showers. The homeless center loves getting my used stuff and can't thank me enough.

We don't use bar soap at all. The film it leaves on the glass shower doors, not to mention the walls, drove me crazy. We are all shower gel now. And I cringe anytime I see a guest with a bar because I know that I will have to strip the glass, clean the glass and recoat the glass with Rain-X if they leave too much soap scum.

We are "GREEN" - soap, shampoo, and conditioner in the dispenser in the shower. It will be a cold day when I PAY someone to take a donation from me. We have Salvation Army and the Mission here in my county that can use that $50. They do not pay the administrators big bucks - when i donate, most of the money goes to help the needy rather than the other way round.

We keep clean using dispensers with bath gel, shampoo and conditioners. No messy bar residue and soggy bars to dispose of.
The idea of the program is admirable but to have an annual fee is quite possibly why there are so few B&B's in the program. I bet if they dropped the fee but asked for $ donations they would have more $ coming in
wink_smile.gif
and more soap.

It is not cost effective, you are better off buying a case of indiv NEVER USED SOAPS and having it delivered to them! I could do that with a gross (144 count) for $25! Brand new, indiv wrapped.
I do not believe in this prgm in the least.
Now they have had collection areas at certain B&B conferences, so that is a good way to do it, if you want to do it.

we've talked about this A LOT on the forum. you can search for old topics by using the search box in the upper right column.
this was the most recent discussion ... last year. https://www.innspiring.com/node/9276
and here we talked about it back in 2009
https://www.innspiring.com/node/4694
it's not new to us on the forum, but the cost to ship is tough alone when you're just trying to donate something. collection at conferences as jb says ...bu then you've got to lug your soap there.
back in 2007 i think, there was an innkeeper on forum who melted down old soap and made new bars for personal use. some folks thought that was a lot of work and icky, but cooked down she felt it was perfectly fine.
we talked a lot about trying to give things to homeless shelters ... i was turned away as the health dept prohibited them from taking open small containers of body wash, shampoo, etc. no open anything.
what would work would be if these organizations would send pre-paid shipping labels then the little places could send their soap and i bet they would. but they even make you PAY to belong EVERY YEAR.
no thank you.

I doubt anyone in any place would be very ecstatic about using used soap. I personally find it offensive to think that someone thinks they're so much better than anyone else that they would think someone else would be happy to use their freakin used soap. "Ah hah, these people are poor, soap is what they need...probably could get a better job/better their world view/ fight poverty if they just cleaned up a bit"

I doubt anyone in any place would be very ecstatic about using used soap. I personally find it offensive to think that someone thinks they're so much better than anyone else that they would think someone else would be happy to use their freakin used soap. "Ah hah, these people are poor, soap is what they need...probably could get a better job/better their world view/ fight poverty if they just cleaned up a bit".
CafeMae said:
I doubt anyone in any place would be very ecstatic about using used soap. I personally find it offensive to think that someone thinks they're so much better than anyone else that they would think someone else would be happy to use their freakin used soap. "Ah hah, these people are poor, soap is what they need...probably could get a better job/better their world view/ fight poverty if they just cleaned up a bit"
thumbs_up.gif

Especially in third world countries where the biggest threat of death is from mosquitoes, let's give them some perfumed soap, shall we.

We don't use bar soap at all. The film it leaves on the glass shower doors, not to mention the walls, drove me crazy. We are all shower gel now. And I cringe anytime I see a guest with a bar because I know that I will have to strip the glass, clean the glass and recoat the glass with Rain-X if they leave too much soap scum..
OOH! Rain-X! What a WONDERFUL idea!

Yes, I ran across the Rain-X tip a few weeks ago on the PAII forum, back when I was a member. PAII and I are no longer on speaking terms :)

We have a very small inn with a very seasonal clientele. I collect the soap in a bucket and use it myself. Granted, the soap is collecting at a greater rate than I can use it so I will take it to the non profit I work for. It will get used.

I have kept a container in which i store used up soaps, left over shampoo, detergent and i use it to clean basins or other such items. In this way i can use them up instead of throwing it.

Yes, I ran across the Rain-X tip a few weeks ago on the PAII forum, back when I was a member. PAII and I are no longer on speaking terms :).
Arkansawyer said:
Yes, I ran across the Rain-X tip a few weeks ago on the PAII forum, back when I was a member. PAII and I are no longer on speaking terms :)
Rain x... I never heard that tip before! Thanks!!!

Yes, I ran across the Rain-X tip a few weeks ago on the PAII forum, back when I was a member. PAII and I are no longer on speaking terms :).
Someone's been reading the stuff I post elsewhere. I guess. :)

Has anybody used the Greenwich Bay Shampoo Bar? Your thoughts?.
I just ordered a case of Greenwich Bay shampoo bars. I think they are wonderful. They have a wonderful smell and make the skin nice and soft. They will give you samples if you ask.

Back