Do you rent bikes or kayaks?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you already have a feel from the other postings. Sorry, My take is no way I would do it. My insurance would not cover it. Besides too much hassle involved. Most folks coming here already bring their own bikes and canoes.

Anyone waterfront? I think anyone remotely near water has a higher liability. Anyone near farm implements, anyone near a road, railroad, river, etc etc.
You become something different - a tour operator. Things change all round from licensing to insurance.
As mentioned we have kayaks, they are not easy to transport, not easy to get on and off, not easy to travel with, we only will if it is a week away or more otherwise we will rent them. It is the same with our bikes. But if I had a very expensive bike, then I would be set up and travel with it, but just for a weekend away I would rent one.

I am fortunate to have both a local bike shop and a kayak outfitter. Prior to these we 'loaned' bikes to our guests to use, but insurance would not cover it so we dropped it.
The guests were pretty hard on those poor bikes too. One of them was my $1600 off road Rockadile and that was big mistake on my part. That bike has never been the same.

I know some inns that offer rentals of both and get good income from it.
I also know inns that offer free loaner bikes to guests as a perk. They are incredibly popular.
Insurance isn't prohibitive on renting (or loaning). You just need to make sure you've got coverage for it.

Anyone waterfront? I think anyone remotely near water has a higher liability. Anyone near farm implements, anyone near a road, railroad, river, etc etc.
You become something different - a tour operator. Things change all round from licensing to insurance.
As mentioned we have kayaks, they are not easy to transport, not easy to get on and off, not easy to travel with, we only will if it is a week away or more otherwise we will rent them. It is the same with our bikes. But if I had a very expensive bike, then I would be set up and travel with it, but just for a weekend away I would rent one..
We're not waterfront but 3 blocks away from a river, canoe/kayak launch, large river walk. Even the outfitter went out of business due to the cost of insurance. :-( There has to be a pretty good volume there to make it pay. Water liability is pretty high.
When I asked our commercial insurance carrier about even loaning bikes with helmets, the insurance hike was substantial. Better to let the folks who are in that business handle it so I sent them to our local bike shop a few blocks away. I found that serious bicyclists brought their own. All the associated costs for having bikes here would have been just too much and why not support another local biz? They have tandems, recumbants, and just touring bikes.
I would be curious as to how much it would contribute to the bottom line by renting out these things at a smaller property.
I think these are great things for larger destination properties that can afford to offer them as amenities. I couldn't be all things to all people here.

As mentioned we have kayaks, they are not easy to transport, not easy to get on and off, not easy to travel with, we only will if it is a week away or more otherwise we will rent them. It is the same with our bikes. But if I had a very expensive bike, then I would be set up and travel with it, but just for a weekend away I would rent one..
We're not waterfront but 3 blocks away from a river, canoe/kayak launch, large river walk. Even the outfitter went out of business due to the cost of insurance. :-( There has to be a pretty good volume there to make it pay. Water liability is pretty high.
When I asked our commercial insurance carrier about even loaning bikes with helmets, the insurance hike was substantial. Better to let the folks who are in that business handle it so I sent them to our local bike shop a few blocks away. I found that serious bicyclists brought their own. All the associated costs for having bikes here would have been just too much and why not support another local biz? They have tandems, recumbants, and just touring bikes.
I would be curious as to how much it would contribute to the bottom line by renting out these things at a smaller property.
I think these are great things for larger destination properties that can afford to offer them as amenities. I couldn't be all things to all people here.
Samster said:
I couldn't be all things to all people here.
I'd say that has to be Lesson #1 for being an innkeeper

If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns.

If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns..
I have been on it for years. Since many have no idea how they found us, I have no idea how effective it has been. I do not think it does much for me - but it is another place I can be found and I do get the occasional hit from it. Since the cost is so reasonable, I keep listing. I am going after the bicycles this year now that our trail is repaired and open all the way.

I also know inns that offer free loaner bikes to guests as a perk. They are incredibly popular.
Insurance isn't prohibitive on renting (or loaning). You just need to make sure you've got coverage for it..
Innkeeper To Go said:
Insurance isn't prohibitive on renting (or loaning). You just need to make sure you've got coverage for it.
That is an astounding comment because I DID find that the cost of insurance on renting (or loaning) bicycles, plus all the other expenses, was off the charts. And it wasn't just a matter of 'here you go kids, have fun.' It was incredibly complicated.
If I did it, it would not have been for free so that I could recoup the costs. Even to obtain liability insurance, the policy had to be underwritten by a separate insurer than the one that wrote my other policies because they didn't want to assume the risks. I learned that any of my bicycles that I would offer were required to be relatively new and inspected (for a fee) seasonally, and had to have new lights. I would have had to provide a variety of very high end helmets and instruction. That was for the riders' safety. In spite of a waiver for the cycler to sign, there was the policy against injury or death (for me, VERY expensive - and i checked with three insurance companies on this). Then, I had to provide bike locks and repair kits, and I thought it would be nice to provide the clip-on water bottles and maps. Of course, I would have to pay for proper maintenance of each bicycle. Before anyone says 'what maintenance', think of damaged tires and bent frames not to mention mechanical issues that I know nothing about ... Also, I would have to insure against theft or damage to each bicycle.
.. a far cry from the old bike with basket and bell I borrowed years ago. Really, it seemed to me a separate business and it was suggested that a separate LLC be formed for any rental endeavor.
I am not trying to be an old grump about this ... If it hadn't been so expensive FOR ME, I would have added this option for my guests. The only way I found that other area places offered bikes was to partner with or recommend an area bicycle rental business that had all the bikes, helmets, and insurance in place.
Maybe it is different in other parts of the country. Maybe it was just my random 'luck' at running up against roadblocks.
Just from observing the bike tours that stayed with me, I learned that people (experienced bikers) would get tired or hurt on the ride and they had a van that trailed along that would inevitably have to pick up at least one cycler out of a group of 12 to 16, pack the bike onto the van and bring the cycler back to the b&b ... and occasionally to the hospital for various minor injury or ailments. You'd have to be prepared to go out and assist if need be ... might never happen but you need to know it could.
There are costs and issues to factor in to every add-on .....

Insurance isn't prohibitive on renting (or loaning). You just need to make sure you've got coverage for it..
Innkeeper To Go said:
That is an astounding comment because I DID find that the cost of insurance on renting (or loaning) bicycles, plus all the other expenses, was off the charts. And it wasn't just a matter of 'here you go kids, have fun.' It was incredibly complicated.
If I did it, it would not have been for free so that I could recoup the costs. Even to obtain liability insurance, the policy had to be underwritten by a separate insurer than the one that wrote my other policies because they didn't want to assume the risks. I learned that any of my bicycles that I would offer were required to be relatively new and inspected (for a fee) seasonally, and had to have new lights. I would have had to provide a variety of very high end helmets and instruction. That was for the riders' safety. In spite of a waiver for the cycler to sign, there was the policy against injury or death (for me, VERY expensive - and i checked with three insurance companies on this). Then, I had to provide bike locks and repair kits, and I thought it would be nice to provide the clip-on water bottles and maps. Of course, I would have to pay for proper maintenance of each bicycle. Before anyone says 'what maintenance', think of damaged tires and bent frames not to mention mechanical issues that I know nothing about ... Also, I would have to insure against theft or damage to each bicycle.
.. a far cry from the old bike with basket and bell I borrowed years ago. Really, it seemed to me a separate business and it was suggested that a separate LLC be formed for any rental endeavor.
I am not trying to be an old grump about this ... If it hadn't been so expensive FOR ME, I would have added this option for my guests. The only way I found that other area places offered bikes was to partner with or recommend an area bicycle rental business that had all the bikes, helmets, and insurance in place.
Maybe it is different in other parts of the country. Maybe it was just my random 'luck' at running up against roadblocks.
Just from observing the bike tours that stayed with me, I learned that people (experienced bikers) would get tired or hurt on the ride and they had a van that trailed along that would inevitably have to pick up at least one cycler out of a group of 12 to 16, pack the bike onto the van and bring the cycler back to the b&b ... and occasionally to the hospital for various minor injury or ailments. You'd have to be prepared to go out and assist if need be ... might never happen but you need to know it could.
I think this is the difference between having these things available for guests to use and renting them for profit. That's where the insurance pops in. If I had them here for guests' use, no problem. If money above and beyond the room rental was going to take place, I think that's where the insurance looks at that as a separate business. (For me anyway.)
So, there are 2 ways to approach this...if money changing hands above and beyond causes insurance flags to go up, how about raising the rates slightly to cover the cost of the purchase, repairs, etc? If no one uses them, you've made a couple tho' and if they need work, you've got the money to do it.

Only way to know is to sit down with your insurance company. See what they say.
Remember when I was advised to close off our cupola to guests because of the narror stairs up through the attic? EVERYONE wanted to go up there so I had signs and notices about it and crossed my fingers that no one would take a tumble. geez.

so many innkeepers get this idea ... and get thwarted by insurance and liability issues.
(sigh) i remember staying at a place as a child where you could borrow a bike or a canoe. if you fell off the bike or tipped the boat, it was your own problem and nobody sued anybody.
i can't help you with the kayak idea because we had a kayak tour and rental place across the road to partner with.
but i DID have bike tours come and stay. YES they took over the place, but they were a nice group (once i understood their needs) and we were up to four times a season when i left. nice to have that solid booking in place.
depending on where you are, look up bike tours and see if you can partner with them. also, ENCOURAGE your guests to bring their own equipment. i did have guests stay who brought bikes, canoes, kayaks and hiking gear. keep in mind, there are those serious bicyclists with $5 thousand and $10 thousand dollar bikes who will demand secure storage .. there is an old post here about providing shelter for bikes. so you have to be clear about that.
good luck!.
seashanty said:
. . . look up bike tours and see if you can partner with them. . .
How are such arrangements typically structured?

Innkeeper To Go said:
I think this is the difference between having these things available for guests to use and renting them for profit. That's where the insurance pops in. If I had them here for guests' use, no problem. If money above and beyond the room rental was going to take place, I think that's where the insurance looks at that as a separate business. (For me anyway.)
So, there are 2 ways to approach this...if money changing hands above and beyond causes insurance flags to go up, how about raising the rates slightly to cover the cost of the purchase, repairs, etc? If no one uses them, you've made a couple tho' and if they need work, you've got the money to do it.
Exactly.
There's really nothing astonishing at all about insurance companies having differences. Some of them charge outrageous amounts for every little thing; some seem to be more reasonable.
But I've found insurance for this that was not at all prohibitive. And I know several inns who do this. They, of course, are insured. Their insurance on providing bikes is not prohibitive.

I would not touch bikes and kayaks with a ten foot pole. We just had someone get killed on a bike in town here. They don't obey the rules of the road here - speed all over and run red lights and refuse to yield.
I'm not against bikes. They were my transportation growing up in Europe. But they don't ride them properly here in Charlottesville.
If someone got hurt or killed they would sue sue sue you. No matter what they signed as far as not holding you responsible.
Riki.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Just from observing the bike tours that stayed with me, I learned that people (experienced bikers) would get tired or hurt on the ride and they had a van that trailed along
Bike groups always have a trailing van for that reason. Last year I had a couple from Minnesota who were riding he rail-trail that ends about 15 miles from me. I agreed to pick them up when they reached the end of the trail and return them to their car the next day - about 75 or 80 miles from my place. The rail-trail they rode has tunnels. I had told them ahead of time to have GOOD flashlights for the tunnels. These were experienced bicyclists - they said. Water collects in the tunnels so it is sometimes muddy. He went through and she followed but she was watching HIM instead of the trail, slipped in the mud and went down. They called me and once I figured out where they were (only about halfway here) I collected them. She was saying she hit her head. "Do you think perhaps you should go to the hospital and get checked out?" HE kept saying "oh i think she is OK" but SHE did not sound so convinced.
I told them we were going to stop at the hospital, it was right on the way to my place. She did check out OK but she was MUCH relieved that I had insisted on the hospital stop.
I have had others on my trail with their own bikes who fell at gates and went home instead of staying. That is why I will never "rent" either bike. If the guest takes it off property, it is their doing. And if they choose to make a donation to the Food Bank when they return, that is very nice - on their return so there is no question of them paying for that bike ride.

I saw a bike group today that had the emergency van following behind. Their bikes were in the ten+thousand range too.

We just added two two-person kayaks to our toy collection. They are bulky and heavy. We use the crane to lift them up to the upper deck where we stow them when not in use. Folks love them. They can go explore places where the boat cannot go. We don't have a whitewater enironment here, just the bay and the ocean - not sure how someone would get hurt using them as opposed to being in the water on a raft or while snokeling, swimming, etc., but anything is possible, I suppose. If you some how managed to turn the thing over, you'd just go for a swim (and spill your drink LOL) as they are "sit on top" rather than "sit in" kayaks. Kayaking in the bay is pretty popular. Of course, on a windy day, no one wants to take them out and have to row against the wind. We don't rent them; they are just part of the "toy box."

We are located on a reservoir so we have a very sturdy rowboat available for guests to use at no charge. We insist they take lifejackets with them. My insurance company does not have a problem with it. The guests love it. The land around 3/4 of the lake is completely undeveloped and we have loons which sing to us all summer long. Many times we'll pack a picnic lunch for them to take out to one of the islands. It's very romantic.

We just added two two-person kayaks to our toy collection. They are bulky and heavy. We use the crane to lift them up to the upper deck where we stow them when not in use. Folks love them. They can go explore places where the boat cannot go. We don't have a whitewater enironment here, just the bay and the ocean - not sure how someone would get hurt using them as opposed to being in the water on a raft or while snokeling, swimming, etc., but anything is possible, I suppose. If you some how managed to turn the thing over, you'd just go for a swim (and spill your drink LOL) as they are "sit on top" rather than "sit in" kayaks. Kayaking in the bay is pretty popular. Of course, on a windy day, no one wants to take them out and have to row against the wind. We don't rent them; they are just part of the "toy box.".
Just had an evening out Saturday night with some friends that have taken kayaks out on our river. They've gone into a couple of areas on the river where one of them got stuck in a spin but finally got righted. It was pretty scary. Not at all like a gentle float. They're athletic and experienced with kayaks also. No way would I have water stuff to even lend here. Some inexperienced idiot could get hurt....or worse. They bring their own, it's a different deal.

If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns..
Bigbid said:
If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns.
Bigbid, I have watched this site for several years, we are near a rail to trail and was interested in listing UNTIL I noticed that one B&B under our state's "Featured Listing" has been closed for almost 5 years, yet they are still appearing under Featured Listings a supposedly $40 a year fee - I know these people are not sending $40 to list a closed B&B! This had me look at the regular listings too and found several others that were closed.
If I was a biker/hiker that happened upon this site and found many of the listings outdated, I would not use that source again.
Granted, $40 is not a huge chunk of change but it is not worth a penny if the site is not accurately maintained. Since I see this one closed B&B still being listed, how many other open B&B's are being shown under 'Featured listings' that are not paying their $40 to have this privilege?

Back