Do you rent bikes or kayaks?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns..
Bigbid said:
If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns.
Bigbid, I have watched this site for several years, we are near a rail to trail and was interested in listing UNTIL I noticed that one B&B under our state's "Featured Listing" has been closed for almost 5 years, yet they are still appearing under Featured Listings a supposedly $40 a year fee - I know these people are not sending $40 to list a closed B&B! This had me look at the regular listings too and found several others that were closed.
If I was a biker/hiker that happened upon this site and found many of the listings outdated, I would not use that source again.
Granted, $40 is not a huge chunk of change but it is not worth a penny if the site is not accurately maintained. Since I see this one closed B&B still being listed, how many other open B&B's are being shown under 'Featured listings' that are not paying their $40 to have this privilege?
We paid for a listing on this a couple of years ago. We did not renew and we are still listed! I just looked at our stats for last year and we received on 3 clickthoughs to our website and we are located along a well known bike route. Definitely not worth it for us!
It's a good concept, but site maintenance and promotion are not there.

If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns..
Bigbid said:
If any of you host bikers, take a look at this site - http://www.bbbiking.com/ I am not on it but I know the innkeepers who run it and are very nice people. Could make sense for some inns.
Bigbid, I have watched this site for several years, we are near a rail to trail and was interested in listing UNTIL I noticed that one B&B under our state's "Featured Listing" has been closed for almost 5 years, yet they are still appearing under Featured Listings a supposedly $40 a year fee - I know these people are not sending $40 to list a closed B&B! This had me look at the regular listings too and found several others that were closed.
If I was a biker/hiker that happened upon this site and found many of the listings outdated, I would not use that source again.
Granted, $40 is not a huge chunk of change but it is not worth a penny if the site is not accurately maintained. Since I see this one closed B&B still being listed, how many other open B&B's are being shown under 'Featured listings' that are not paying their $40 to have this privilege?
We paid for a listing on this a couple of years ago. We did not renew and we are still listed! I just looked at our stats for last year and we received on 3 clickthoughs to our website and we are located along a well known bike route. Definitely not worth it for us!
It's a good concept, but site maintenance and promotion are not there.
I just took a look and you are right. The site is not well maintained and it is not very userfriendly either :-(

Interesting posts ...
We have kayaks and have frontage on a Class I river with an easy 6-mile float to a take-out. They don't make money for us, but have definitely resulted in guests adding an extra day stay. Quite a bit of work, only for guests.
insurance Co. coverage is reasonable, requires waiver, which in my opinion mainly makes it clear that sobriety, wearing lifejackets, and knowing how to swim are mandatory. Turns out the biggest "hazard" on the route is the popular nude beach 4 miles down; this I have to warn about ;)
I would not do bicycles, partly because of road liability, but mainly because the price/quality curve is so steep and risk of theft here is great. Guests at an upscale inn are not going to want clunkers. No way that would pay.

I saw this as I was reading Riki's article on Charlottesville Wine trips:
Man sues Va. ski resort for $25M
Excerpt:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - A man paralyzed from the waist down in a snow-tubing accident is suing the parent companies of Massanutten Resort for more than $25 million.
John Carwile of Hampton was injured after his head hit the wall at the end of a tubing run in January 2009 at the Rockingham County ski resort.
full article here

I saw this as I was reading Riki's article on Charlottesville Wine trips:
Man sues Va. ski resort for $25M
Excerpt:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - A man paralyzed from the waist down in a snow-tubing accident is suing the parent companies of Massanutten Resort for more than $25 million.
John Carwile of Hampton was injured after his head hit the wall at the end of a tubing run in January 2009 at the Rockingham County ski resort.
full article here.
I have 2 mountain bikes free for guest to use but they sign a waiver,wear hemits,given a lock,must stay in town.My insurance co charges me more for this + for my dog & hot tub.Serious bikers bring their own bikes and I have more of them than casual town bikers.Saw that article in the local DNR paper + was on the news.Have had guest stay here and ski there many times....Mary in Bwater

I haven't setup for my kayaks and bikes (yet) but it was suggested to offer free use of bikes and kayaks as an bonus to using your B&B for your guest(s). Remember it's more than just a room for the night but a days experience that will want people to stay (and return). I'm on an island (Smith Island in the Chesapeake Bay) and things to do are as important to what you see. Leonard at Waterman's Overnight

I found out that if we offer the bikes or kayaks for free our insurance would not change, if we decide to charge for them our insurance would charge $45.oo per bike or kayak per year. Not sure which route we're going to go yet.

I haven't setup for my kayaks and bikes (yet) but it was suggested to offer free use of bikes and kayaks as an bonus to using your B&B for your guest(s). Remember it's more than just a room for the night but a days experience that will want people to stay (and return). I'm on an island (Smith Island in the Chesapeake Bay) and things to do are as important to what you see. Leonard at Waterman's Overnight.
Leonardo said:
and things to do are as important to what you see.
Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a website up and running? This is as important if not more than any amenities we offer, they won't come through the door without knowing about the Inn and seeing what there is on offer.
welcome.gif

I found out that if we offer the bikes or kayaks for free our insurance would not change, if we decide to charge for them our insurance would charge $45.oo per bike or kayak per year. Not sure which route we're going to go yet..
Baygirl said:
I found out that if we offer the bikes or kayaks for free our insurance would not change, if we decide to charge for them our insurance would charge $45.oo per bike or kayak per year. Not sure which route we're going to go yet.
Thanks for the update.

Back