Do you send a confirmation to all your guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, all email confirmations. And the confirmation email states that you MUST bring it along with you for check-in. That way, on the very few occasions that there is a date mix-up or a misunderstood policy it's right there in front of them in writing..
Rupert said:
Yes, all email confirmations. And the confirmation email states that you MUST bring it along with you for check-in. That way, on the very few occasions that there is a date mix-up or a misunderstood policy it's right there in front of them in writing.
Welcome back! Missed hearing your point of view!

Yes, all email confirmations. And the confirmation email states that you MUST bring it along with you for check-in. That way, on the very few occasions that there is a date mix-up or a misunderstood policy it's right there in front of them in writing..
Rupert said:
Yes, all email confirmations. And the confirmation email states that you MUST bring it along with you for check-in. . .
What happens if they don't bring it?
Nothing happens, we don't even usually ask for it but 90% of the check-ins walk in with their confirmations in hand. The few times we've had problems with wrong dates, etc. it's been an error on the guests' part, and having their confirmation diffused the situation right away...you point out the date and they realize they goofed. So instead of being angry/upset they are grateful when you offer to help them find a place to stay.

Hi Rupert! Glad to see you are doing well.
Thanks Copperhead! I like your idea of asking for a quick reply to confirm they received...it might get a bit daunting for me to keep track of though, do you do this manually or does your rezo software do it for you?

Rupert said:
Yes, all email confirmations. And the confirmation email states that you MUST bring it along with you for check-in. That way, on the very few occasions that there is a date mix-up or a misunderstood policy it's right there in front of them in writing.
Welcome back! Missed hearing your point of view!
Thanks Penelope
regular_smile.gif

Hi Rupert! Glad to see you are doing well.
Thanks Copperhead! I like your idea of asking for a quick reply to confirm they received...it might get a bit daunting for me to keep track of though, do you do this manually or does your rezo software do it for you?
No auto here - sure would be nice though.
I use the webervations email but have it sent to ME instead of the guest (those canned messages get lost). I revise the subject to Smith Reservation @ Copperhead B&B then email to guest. When I get it back, I then store it in my online reservation folder.
Those that do not reply get a call.

All our reservations get a confirmation e-mail. The main reason is so that they know or we sent them our policies and dates of arrival and departure....if they don't read it then we have proof that we sent it so there is no dispute about anything.

Rupert said:
Yes, all email confirmations. And the confirmation email states that you MUST bring it along with you for check-in. . .
IronGate said:
Rupert said:
Not one of my guests have ever brought their confirmation in the past three years. That's why I have Webervations send me a copy. I can print it if they arrive on the wrong day or were not confirmed. That's happened once. Fellow filled out a reservation request and left town not checking for confirmation. I was lucky to find him a nice room another inn - the last one in town!! He didn't even acknowledge that it was a miracle that he had a place to stay. Oh well...
Riki

The confirmation is auto sent when they check the box agreeing to the policies and giving us their cc details. :)
Over the phone, they get the same confirmation, in the OFF chance they do not have an email account they have one printed and mailed to them at their home address.
In the past year I have stayed at THREE places who did not send me a confirmation. I had to call them and ask for a confirmation #. One place said "Why do you need one?" I said because I gave you my credit card number.
HEY RUPES! I was thinking of you just today as we drove home from vacation...we passed a couple B&B's along the way and I was thinking of my B&B mates and wondered how you were and hope you can swing in here this year. Any time you can squeeze away...winter we are twiddling our thumbs round here.
Greyswan, I drove through your town around noon and right in front of your place...no cars there so I figured you were out and we had a cat and dog and kayaks sticking out the back so gave ya a wave. :)
It's nice have innmates all over the place.

Re software...this is a sidetrack, sorta, maybe not, but it was ON A RESERVATION today. . .
You know I switched to reservation key. Well today I got a booking for Oct and it had all these notes, and I thought, wait, that sounds like something I would write...Sure enough, the booking progrm remembered these guests from March and matched them up from their prev online reservation, and added my notes onto the email I got alerting me to their reservation! (just for me to see as it was on the innkeeper side)
It kinda freaked me out for a moment, I began adding notes in there when I first switched over, then thought, nawwww I will keep them in my guest mgmt system (guestall) on my pc instead. So on this booking were a few sentences of notes I made re these guests (from Quebec...here for NASCAR...loved the cottage...who their favorite drivers are, and a few odds and ends such as that). So I thought that was REALLY NEAT!

The confirmation is auto sent when they check the box agreeing to the policies and giving us their cc details. :)
Over the phone, they get the same confirmation, in the OFF chance they do not have an email account they have one printed and mailed to them at their home address.
In the past year I have stayed at THREE places who did not send me a confirmation. I had to call them and ask for a confirmation #. One place said "Why do you need one?" I said because I gave you my credit card number.
HEY RUPES! I was thinking of you just today as we drove home from vacation...we passed a couple B&B's along the way and I was thinking of my B&B mates and wondered how you were and hope you can swing in here this year. Any time you can squeeze away...winter we are twiddling our thumbs round here.
Greyswan, I drove through your town around noon and right in front of your place...no cars there so I figured you were out and we had a cat and dog and kayaks sticking out the back so gave ya a wave. :)
It's nice have innmates all over the place..
Hope you had a greata vacation. We missed you (I know I did!).

Yes, thanks. Back in the saddle again. No guests til Monday. Found lots of fossils in the James River. After the misery of 103+80% humidity passed on Mon/Tues we had great sailing all the way. My favorite little colonial town is Smithfield. If anyone goes to Col W'burg, take the free car ferry across the James down to Smithfield, it was gorgeous last night all covered in Flags!
Yes, Smithfield hams etc. Smithfield VA and they had a super visitor center that shared the building with an arts co-op so you could peruse the art and watch them at work. This website does not do justice to how sweet this town really was! http://www.smithfield-virginia.com/
Thanks for reminding me, I saw a B&B on the corner there blacked out, no lights not even on the sign...I wanted to look them up. Arrgghhh what a terrible website...won't spell it out, but it is a B&B (Mansion) on MAIN in Smithfield, right there.

PS or as LB would say a "Dripping Vic" which would be an understatement in this case.

Re software...this is a sidetrack, sorta, maybe not, but it was ON A RESERVATION today. . .
You know I switched to reservation key. Well today I got a booking for Oct and it had all these notes, and I thought, wait, that sounds like something I would write...Sure enough, the booking progrm remembered these guests from March and matched them up from their prev online reservation, and added my notes onto the email I got alerting me to their reservation! (just for me to see as it was on the innkeeper side)
It kinda freaked me out for a moment, I began adding notes in there when I first switched over, then thought, nawwww I will keep them in my guest mgmt system (guestall) on my pc instead. So on this booking were a few sentences of notes I made re these guests (from Quebec...here for NASCAR...loved the cottage...who their favorite drivers are, and a few odds and ends such as that). So I thought that was REALLY NEAT!.
That is very cool.

Yes, thanks. Back in the saddle again. No guests til Monday. Found lots of fossils in the James River. After the misery of 103+80% humidity passed on Mon/Tues we had great sailing all the way. My favorite little colonial town is Smithfield. If anyone goes to Col W'burg, take the free car ferry across the James down to Smithfield, it was gorgeous last night all covered in Flags!
Yes, Smithfield hams etc. Smithfield VA and they had a super visitor center that shared the building with an arts co-op so you could peruse the art and watch them at work. This website does not do justice to how sweet this town really was! http://www.smithfield-virginia.com/
Thanks for reminding me, I saw a B&B on the corner there blacked out, no lights not even on the sign...I wanted to look them up. Arrgghhh what a terrible website...won't spell it out, but it is a B&B (Mansion) on MAIN in Smithfield, right there..
Joey Bloggs said:
NPR had someone on from Smithfield on one of their Maryland programs on Thursday - I guess they have the oldest ham there, plus the oldest peanut. It sounded interesting.

Yes! Everyone who makes a resservation gets an emailed confirmation. There are few instances when I have to snail mail them if they don't want to give out their email or if I simply can't get the email to go through..
I do actually snail-mail as well a lot of the time. I think it's a great deal more professional and personal to get a letter.

I MISSED YA JOEY!!!!! Hope you and the fam had a wonderful vacation, you deserve it. We would love to try to get down your way sometime this year.
I thought of you today, I'm sure you remember VERY WELL the guests who were here when you innmates came to visit...they just re-upped for 4 days in September!!!! Oh, my...
I am highly jealous of that function in your rez system that paired up the prior guest with their new reservation...if I had something doing that automatically for me I might be more diligent about making more specific notes while guests are here.

I think snail mail with the guest name hand written on the letter and a rack card is a wonderful thing, but in this day and age someone would turn us in for not being environmentally friendly. I am saddened by this as some send send send junk junk junk all the time. I love a nice stationary. I can't imagine getting a lovely stationary with embossed Letter on the envelope from a B&B, that would be just so lovely...
I saw this book and should have bought it and didn't. I wanted to put it in the parlor here or leave it laying around, it was fantastic. I will post a link to what was innside this book and y'all will enjoy it, if you have not read this before. Printing this out just doesn't do it for me, so I will have to buy a copy online...
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation by Geo Washington[/FONT]
http://www.foundationsmag.com/pvcivility.html

I MISSED YA JOEY!!!!! Hope you and the fam had a wonderful vacation, you deserve it. We would love to try to get down your way sometime this year.
I thought of you today, I'm sure you remember VERY WELL the guests who were here when you innmates came to visit...they just re-upped for 4 days in September!!!! Oh, my...
I am highly jealous of that function in your rez system that paired up the prior guest with their new reservation...if I had something doing that automatically for me I might be more diligent about making more specific notes while guests are here.
Rupert said:
Get your afternoon snacks ready! You'll have to practice your oohing and aahing over new photos, I'm sure.
I have to say that my Webervations does the matching also, or at least flags a possible match. Now, that may only be in Webervations 2.0, I don't remember. But I am not as good at making notes unless I'm really peeved.

Rupert said:
Get your afternoon snacks ready! You'll have to practice your oohing and aahing over new photos, I'm sure.
I have to say that my Webervations does the matching also, or at least flags a possible match. Now, that may only be in Webervations 2.0, I don't remember. But I am not as good at making notes unless I'm really peeved.
Mine will do a 'guest name match' and show it is either last name or complete name match. Then I can merge the 2 if I want. My notes are sketchy. Peeving guests generally don't return so not really necessary to notate them unless I don't ever want to see them again!
My notes usually consist of what they like (juice-wise, coffee-wise, tea-wise) and if there are special requests for food. If they come back a lot I put down their kids' names, dog's name, stuff like that. College kid's grad year so I can let them know when important events are coming up.

Rupert said:
No, not in the orig. Webervations
sad_smile.gif

Back