Do you send a confirmation to all your guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Everyone who makes a resservation gets an emailed confirmation. There are few instances when I have to snail mail them if they don't want to give out their email or if I simply can't get the email to go through..
I do actually snail-mail as well a lot of the time. I think it's a great deal more professional and personal to get a letter.
I need to do that more! Thank you for the idea, reminder, etc. I forget about sending a confirmation via mail & I have a ton of inn postcards to do it on!

We email everyone or if no email (these are few and far between) as we put all our policies on the bottom so they cannot say they have not seen/read found them whatever. The only ones I don't are if they are comming the same day but I will know soon enough if something happens. If people book through laterooms or booking.com the site automatically confirms to them but I like to send one of ours as well as I put town maps and how to get into the car park maps on as attachments which people appreciate.
If I do a written one I had some postcards made up with a picture of the B&B on the front and then
Date of Arrival, date of departure, amount etc on and our policies which look smart and only take a second to fill out. They then go in an envelope with a map so that the postman can't read the dates they are away etc..
I send an email confirmation regardless of the booking engine to advise that children live at the inn (if they want a childless weekend, now is your chance to cancel) along with confirmation of the dates, room selection and when payment is collected.

The confirmation is auto sent when they check the box agreeing to the policies and giving us their cc details. :)
Over the phone, they get the same confirmation, in the OFF chance they do not have an email account they have one printed and mailed to them at their home address.
In the past year I have stayed at THREE places who did not send me a confirmation. I had to call them and ask for a confirmation #. One place said "Why do you need one?" I said because I gave you my credit card number.
HEY RUPES! I was thinking of you just today as we drove home from vacation...we passed a couple B&B's along the way and I was thinking of my B&B mates and wondered how you were and hope you can swing in here this year. Any time you can squeeze away...winter we are twiddling our thumbs round here.
Greyswan, I drove through your town around noon and right in front of your place...no cars there so I figured you were out and we had a cat and dog and kayaks sticking out the back so gave ya a wave. :)
It's nice have innmates all over the place..
I MISSED YA JOEY!!!!! Hope you and the fam had a wonderful vacation, you deserve it. We would love to try to get down your way sometime this year.
I thought of you today, I'm sure you remember VERY WELL the guests who were here when you innmates came to visit...they just re-upped for 4 days in September!!!! Oh, my...
I am highly jealous of that function in your rez system that paired up the prior guest with their new reservation...if I had something doing that automatically for me I might be more diligent about making more specific notes while guests are here.
Rupert said:
I thought of you today, I'm sure you remember VERY WELL the guests who were here when you innmates came to visit...they just re-upped for 4 days in September!!!! Oh, my...
Get your afternoon snacks ready! You'll have to practice your oohing and aahing over new photos, I'm sure.
I have to say that my Webervations does the matching also, or at least flags a possible match. Now, that may only be in Webervations 2.0, I don't remember. But I am not as good at making notes unless I'm really peeved.
Was going to email you about the repeat guests, knew you'd remember them! Hopefully since it'll technically be "in season" they will actually go out and DO something! But I am already planning extra snacks, and the inevitable slide show of new pet pix...there's nothing you can do but laugh, they were harmless and so sweet at the end of the day, hard to turn down a multi-night repeat.
I don't think the original Webervations does the matching, or if it does I just don't know how to access it...will need to check it out. And absolutely agree, most of the notes are of the "do not book again" variety.

Rupert awww Rupert...I feel for ya with those guests. They were definitely unique. At least you know what to expect now!
whattha.gif

Rupert awww Rupert...I feel for ya with those guests. They were definitely unique. At least you know what to expect now!
whattha.gif
It seems to be a theme this year...lots of what we are calling "nice and weird" guests. The housekeepers will ask "How are the people in Room X?". And we'll answer "Nice, and weird..." just lots of unusual personality tics and behavior. But I'll take it over attitude, condescension or meanness any day!!!

Yes! Everyone who makes a resservation gets an emailed confirmation. There are few instances when I have to snail mail them if they don't want to give out their email or if I simply can't get the email to go through..
I do actually snail-mail as well a lot of the time. I think it's a great deal more professional and personal to get a letter.
I need to do that more! Thank you for the idea, reminder, etc. I forget about sending a confirmation via mail & I have a ton of inn postcards to do it on!
domsmom said:
Keep in mind that a person may be planning a surprise and will not be happy to find a postcard in the mail when they were expecting an email. So, make it clear you will be sending snail mail unless they specify otherwise.

whattha.gif
It seems to be a theme this year...lots of what we are calling "nice and weird" guests. The housekeepers will ask "How are the people in Room X?". And we'll answer "Nice, and weird..." just lots of unusual personality tics and behavior. But I'll take it over attitude, condescension or meanness any day!!!
We just had an odd one...needed help with the luggage. 2 tiny bags and one of the guests was a teenager. Never said thank you for the help and totally ignored us this morning. I forgot to bring a glass of water to the table and you would have thought it was the end of the world...eye-rolling and all.

BTW, we can send 'em, doesn't mean they get read...just had one respond back to the confirmation, which includes what kind of room they booked and tell me something completely different about the room. The info is right there under her reply to me and it is obvious the confirm wasn't read. And the reply back to me was to verify the room was correct.

whattha.gif
We just had an odd one...needed help with the luggage. 2 tiny bags and one of the guests was a teenager. Never said thank you for the help and totally ignored us this morning. I forgot to bring a glass of water to the table and you would have thought it was the end of the world...eye-rolling and all.
How are you Morticia? Sounds like you're in the thick of it like us...Happy 4th!

whattha.gif
How are you Morticia? Sounds like you're in the thick of it like us...Happy 4th!
Rupert said:
Thick as can be up until tomorrow, then there's a lull. I'll catch up on laundry and maybe get my rack cards started.

whattha.gif
Morticia said:
Well you are not alone. 'Sally' booked a fling weekend to surprise her BF, calling 5-6 times since she booked wanting everything just so (you know the type). So she starts bringing her bags and I thought she would never stop! DH said 'how long is she staying!
wow.gif
And then offered to bring her stuff up on our luggage lift. (DH's new toy) She was tickled that he had this thing but after he loaded it all, she demanded to ride up with her things. This is a outdoor 'birdcage' style lift. There is no way he could have peeked in her stuff or anything without her seeing and it only take a minute to get it to the 2nd floor. DH just said, sorry we are not set up for riders on this thing. If you prefer, we will take it off so you can carry them up.

whattha.gif
Rupert said:
Thick as can be up until tomorrow, then there's a lull. I'll catch up on laundry and maybe get my rack cards started.
Us too, it calms down a bit after tomorrow. For the first time ever we are completely closing in-season for 4 days (in August). We'd normally get an inn sitter to get away but there were zero bookings so we decided to just close...it will be so much easier to pack up and go without worrying about what's going on here...I can't wait!

whattha.gif
Rupert said:
Us too, it calms down a bit after tomorrow. For the first time ever we are completely closing in-season for 4 days (in August). We'd normally get an inn sitter to get away but there were zero bookings so we decided to just close...it will be so much easier to pack up and go without worrying about what's going on here...I can't wait!
Good for you! I'm envious. But I won't do it. I'm saving up like a squirrel for winter!

whattha.gif
Rupert said:
Good for you Rupert. It is so hard to close during your busy season, but we did it last October. Felt real good not to have that phone attached just waiting for 'the call' of chaos.

whattha.gif
Rupert said:
Good for you Rupert. It is so hard to close during your busy season, but we did it last October. Felt real good not to have that phone attached just waiting for 'the call' of chaos.
August is usually a slower time for us anyway, too hot and the kids getting ready for back to school slows it down. The break should be good to get us ready for September/October.

Back