Do you serve a breakfast burrito?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
How do guests respond?
I have really gone away from anything super savory since we are now the "prilosec nation." I would like to but not sure if it would be too much wasted food.
This image is from a B&B on the west coast, a guest photo.
brad-s-gourmet-breakfast.jpg

The most adventurous we get is an egg casserole that calls for mild green chiles. I'm too afraid it won't get eaten. I am a huge egg fan, but I don't care for anything spicy with them (except when we were traveling in the southwest, then I expected it but I still wasn't thrilled).

Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure.

I'm sure PT and other Southern or Southwestern Innkeepers have this type of thing on a regular basis, but in our neck of the woods, guests would freak out. D. has done a Southwest Egg Bake served with salsa and sour cream on the side...it was never a big hit. He doesn't even put jalapenos in anything anymore, as they mostly get picked out and left on the plate.
I would personally love to have something like this when traveling to the appropriate part of the country.

Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure..
suellen222 said:
Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure.
This is a typical Mexican style breakfast.

We don't in West Virginia. But if my inn were in New Mexico, I'd certainly consider it appropriate.

No because it is not area appropriate. Also, I like my food to not be hot when it is cold.

Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure..
suellen222 said:
Well, I'm going to Mexico the beginning of Dec. - I'll let you know what I have for breakfast! If I have a choice I won't be choosing something I would eat for lunch or dinner.

suellen222 said:
Well, I'm going to Mexico the beginning of Dec. - I'll let you know what I have for breakfast! If I have a choice I won't be choosing something I would eat for lunch or dinner.
You won't get plain eggs at all...get ready for Huevos Rancheros! It's good but I got really sick of it.

suellen222 said:
You won't get plain eggs at all...get ready for Huevos Rancheros! It's good but I got really sick of it.
Ok, maybe I'll just skip breakfast and lose weight on my trip!!! Never a bad idea!

Sorry not what I want to see set before me at breakfast. I have hard enough time dealing with it for supper:-( However, if the place is in SW, then it may be expected. I would want to know ahead of time though and I would warn guests ahead as well.

I serve these on charters, but not during B&B, on mornings where we want to get up and get moving to another location real early. On a charter, we typically move our location once or twice a day, depending on where we are and what activities are planned. If we are trying to get to a destination that is a little far, or to a snorkeling site that gets crowded later in the day, we will do breakfast burritos because they can be eaten, in hand, on the fly while underway. I don't like to do a lot of stove/oven cooking while the yacht is underway. I make the burritos the day before as they are better after they've been wrapped up for a day. Then, I simply heat them in the microwave and serve them with salsa and juice.

this would not appeal to me at all ... as for egg dishes, the 'spiciest' i go is onion in quiche and even at that would make one without it because some guests balked. it may be regional. in the northeast, i would be surprised to see this with the nachos and salsa and beans? at a b&b for breakfast. if traveling to a place with that style, i would have to check the breakfast 'menu' and ask if there was a cereal option if i couldn't have plain eggs. maybe i'd be a PITA!

My "Southwest" breakfasts are either:
#1 Soyrizo with eggs with jalapeno tortillas, fried potatoes with cojita cheese and cilantro, a tropical fruit and a side of mild salsa. If they need it to go, I wrap it as a burrito...if you use corn tortillas, this is a gluten free breakfast.
#2 Confetti scramble: Scrambled eggs with onions and 3 different color bell peppers with melted cheddar on top, fried potatoes, bacon, corn bread muffin with butter and honey and a side of seasonal fruit.
I don't think it matters if it is regional or not, serving this type of breakfast...my guests seem to enjoy the variety. They seem to expect pancakes, which I don't serve, other than my Norwegian pancakes...
I personally wouldn't serve chips with breakfast, and probably wouldn't serve the beans either, unless they were in the burrito....not as a side. I think they are delicious with eggs in a burrito, tho'!

#1 Soyrizo with eggs with jalapeno tortillas, fried potatoes with cojita cheese and cilantro, a tropical fruit and a side of mild salsa. If they need it to go, I wrap it as a burrito...if you use corn tortillas, this is a gluten free breakfast.
#2 Confetti scramble: Scrambled eggs with onions and 3 different color bell peppers with melted cheddar on top, fried potatoes, bacon, corn bread muffin with butter and honey and a side of seasonal fruit.
I don't think it matters if it is regional or not, serving this type of breakfast...my guests seem to enjoy the variety. They seem to expect pancakes, which I don't serve, other than my Norwegian pancakes...
I personally wouldn't serve chips with breakfast, and probably wouldn't serve the beans either, unless they were in the burrito....not as a side. I think they are delicious with eggs in a burrito, tho'!.
#2 Confetti scramble: Scrambled eggs with onions and 3 different color bell peppers with melted cheddar on top
Sorry, this would not be my taste at all for breakfast:-( Give me good old scrambled eggs and cheese or French TOast of some sort.
Do your guest know what is going to be served ahead of time? DO you have options for those who do not like these kinds of things for breakfast?

I personally wouldn't serve chips with breakfast, and probably wouldn't serve the beans either, unless they were in the burrito....not as a side. I think they are delicious with eggs in a burrito, tho'!.
#2 Confetti scramble: Scrambled eggs with onions and 3 different color bell peppers with melted cheddar on top
Sorry, this would not be my taste at all for breakfast:-( Give me good old scrambled eggs and cheese or French TOast of some sort.
Do your guest know what is going to be served ahead of time? DO you have options for those who do not like these kinds of things for breakfast?
I'll worry about it when it's left sitting on the plate. I get raves about these breakfasts. No, it's chef's choice and complimentary.

wow, willowpond. my breakfasts were always chef's choice and complimentary, but i had 'bland' options available.
i'd be your first pita.

Back