Do you serve muffins EVERY morning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
Some of my friends tell me that with the B&B experience, they always expect a muffin of some sort in the morning, something they say B&B's are known for, or at least that's their impression. My question is - do you serve fresh muffins EVERY morning, even when the main entree is going to be some sort of french toast?
I'm working on menu planning for the Miami Boat Show where I have a "full house." On the morning that I will serve Strawberries & Cream French Toast and apple-smoked bacon, I am wondering whether I should even serve a muffin - the entree is already a bread-based dish. Normally, I have coffee and muffins out when people start wandering upstairs, and then I serve breakfast. But with Strawberries & Cream French Toast (an excellent recipe I got from inncuisine.com, by the way), I can't think of a complementary muffin to serve with that, and wonder if people would even want a muffin with that. What would you do? I, personally, would not want a bread with my bread. What do you serve with your french toast entrees?
I guess if I had to pair up a muffin to go with that, it would be the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Raspberry Butter, but I think it's too much bread overall.

I do put out bread or muffins even with my French toast or waffle entrees, but I try to use a less-sweet version, like poppyseed muffins or zucchini bread. I put out less of it, because it definitely doesn't get eaten as much. But, since the Atkins craze has died down, I definitely have some folks who have bread and French toast. I serve it on the table family-style, already out when people sit down, so some will have just fruit and sweet bread if they want a light breakfast. Not many, though. I also have biscotti out with the early coffee - that will be my next recipe to share on inncuisine (after Jan. 24). I make spice biscotti which are less sweet and less heavy than bread - maybe you could go that route on mornings that you do the bread entrees.

I do muffins every morning - period. I use mini-muffin pans so one recipe makes almost 3 dozen mnis. IF tey want them they are there and if they do not eat more than 1 or 2 at breakfast (it gives the muffin experience without the filling them up) I have plenty for the "care package" of muffins to take with them - a warm & fuzzie unexpected bonus for the guest (otherwise called, I got something for nothing.)
If I have one couple, I make a half recipe. There are sweet muffins and muffins that are not "sweet". My cranberry triple sec is an awesome muffin that is not real sweet and has no milk so great for those lactose-free (OJ & triple sec). A full recipe gives me between 5 & 6 dozen minis and I make this when going to a trade show, etc. A half recipe suffices for a regular breakfast. I can also use Splenda instead of the sugar.

I don't serve muffins at every meal.... with my French toast type of meals it's a fruit starter, then Fr Toast and bacon or sausage... sometimes I'll put a side of grits, but not always... depends if the guest says he's a big eater. Pancakes... we sometimes will fix eggs on the side, but the pancakes are so hardy. Sometimes the plate just needs something else besides the orange twist garnish. When fixing stratas I recently served sauted cherry tomatoes with basil. I'm always looking for good side dishes.

I only serve muffins for to-go breakfasts, unless I am trying a new recipe or am short on time for that day, otherwise, I think folks expect something more than a muffin, they can make muffins at home or get them anywhere... I agree, I would not serve a bread with bread...
I love them though, and so do the kids!

I never serve muffins. As so much of the breakfast was coming back uneaten after the guests filled up on bread, we gave up.

Normal breakfast here: (this is my knock their socks off)
  • mini-muffins
  • fruit dish
  • OJ
  • non-citric juice
  • sour cream & chives egg bake w/English muffin bread
  • (or pancakes or bread pudding or baked pineapple toast - entree)
  • fresh-ground coffee
  • tea

I rarely serve muffins. Hardly ever.
Fruit starter, egg blossoms (eggs, cheese, fyllo dough), canadian bacon, homemade bread
Fruit starter, french toast, bacon or sausage, maybe hashbrowns
Fruit starter, eggs florentine, croissants, bacon or sausage
Fruit starter, sausage gravy and biscuits, hashbrowns
Fruit starters are: creme brulee with fresh berries, fruit splits, fruit parfaits, strawberry slushie smoothies, apple crisps, poached pears, fruit cups.
=)
Kk.

we always serve some type of pastyr for our first course regardless of what our 3rd course (entree) is. We alternate between muffins, cinnamon buns, scones, tarts, turnovers, etc. Everything always seems to get eaten.
We don't serve all courses at the same time, of course. First course is a pastry of some sort, 2nd is a fruit course, sometimes along with a palette cleansing amuse bouche of...sorbet, for example. The the 3rd course which is either sweet or savory. We also have fruit & granola they may choose from. Our breakfast is spread out over the course of 1 1/2 - 2 hours so i think even if they do have a muffin or scone, it does not make them not want french toast a half hour or so later.

yes!
since i'd usually be making and serving breakfast on my own,this was a great way to keep guests content while waiting if i was really busy.
banana and blueberry were the most favorite. also carrot and morning glory. i invited them to help themselves to a muffin while waiting.
if i couldn't do muffins, i'd bring over mini loaves of my signature banana bread (of course!) and put it on the table ... warm ... with little plates, a little cream cheese and a little butter.
for a lot of guests who came to me, i agree .... a b&b means muffins and home baked goods. i know this because they would ask.

You may have a completely different crowd there, not necessarily looking for 'stuffed to the gills' breakfast. I would think that anyone who might be putting on (or already have on) a swimsuit, might be conscious of all those calories. Then again, maybe not...
If guests generally wander around waiting to be seated, you could have a refreshing granita on hand.
Perhaps just have something small available for them to help themselves, as long as they know what's coming up for the main course. Your muffin choices sound good, you could just make them into 1- or 2-bite versions.

I always have fresh-baked muffins or some sort of baked goods out for breakfast. It's always on the side board, along with yogurts and granola/cereal, for guests to help themselves if they wish.
When I serve the fruit course, I point out the side board to the guests and tell them what type of muffin/loaf it is. I also tell them to "save room for breakfast, we're serving waffles today" or whatever the main course is.
With the except of the occasional coffee cake or cinnamon roll, none of my baked goods are very sweet. When I'm doing a sweet, bready main like french toast or waffles, my baked goods are a definite contrast to the main. Think oatmeal or oatbran (with berries, nuts or fresh or dried fruit) muffins, pumpkin or carrot quick bread, savoury cheddar & rosemary scones.
If guests don't have the baked goods with breakfast, they take them in a bag for an afternoon snack. Guests definitely love the homemade treats. But my guests are generally out and burning off those calories with physical activities. Plus, the oxygen-rich air really does rev up their apetites in a way they didn't expect so the snacks are even more appreciated.

I do not serve muffins when I am making another form of baked sweet goodies. I also do not serve Crescent City French Toast (more like New Orleans style bread pudding with a breakfast flare) or any other sweet type food as the main course, it is usually shared with an egg/meat dish as well.

I do muffins every morning - period. I use mini-muffin pans so one recipe makes almost 3 dozen mnis. IF tey want them they are there and if they do not eat more than 1 or 2 at breakfast (it gives the muffin experience without the filling them up) I have plenty for the "care package" of muffins to take with them - a warm & fuzzie unexpected bonus for the guest (otherwise called, I got something for nothing.)
If I have one couple, I make a half recipe. There are sweet muffins and muffins that are not "sweet". My cranberry triple sec is an awesome muffin that is not real sweet and has no milk so great for those lactose-free (OJ & triple sec). A full recipe gives me between 5 & 6 dozen minis and I make this when going to a trade show, etc. A half recipe suffices for a regular breakfast. I can also use Splenda instead of the sugar..
gillumhouse said:
I have plenty for the "care package" of muffins to take with them - a warm & fuzzie unexpected bonus for the guest (otherwise called, I got something for nothing.)
Down here we call this lanyiappe (pronounced lan yap) 'a little something extra'.

The only time I don't serve some kind of baked good is if I make fruit crisps with French Toast, pancakes, waffles, crepes....

If I have one couple, I make a half recipe. There are sweet muffins and muffins that are not "sweet". My cranberry triple sec is an awesome muffin that is not real sweet and has no milk so great for those lactose-free (OJ & triple sec). A full recipe gives me between 5 & 6 dozen minis and I make this when going to a trade show, etc. A half recipe suffices for a regular breakfast. I can also use Splenda instead of the sugar..
gillumhouse said:
I have plenty for the "care package" of muffins to take with them - a warm & fuzzie unexpected bonus for the guest (otherwise called, I got something for nothing.)
Down here we call this lanyiappe (pronounced lan yap) 'a little something extra'.
Copperhead said:
gillumhouse said:
Thanks for the pronunciation. I knew what the word meant, but never how to pronounce it.

Atkins killed this innkeepers muffin makin' days. I would be up in the wee hours making double chocolate muffins and no one would eat them and in the early days - beginning innkeeping we would eat them. BIG BAD MISTAKE.
I have not made muffins for 4 years. There I said it. Everyone knows now. I am no longer a muffin maker. Oh and by the way, when I caught this Atkins thing ruining my delicious muffiny breakfasts - I would cut the jumbo muffins in half and fill them with fruit and cream or yoghurt and the "atkins crowd" would eat them. So that just made me plain mad, they would eat it if it was HIGHER in fat and carbs? Come on. Baked goods I do serve, just not the muffin.
So no muffins. Nothing against those who do, I just don't. Don't make em. Eat 'em, yes ma'am.

We always serve a small sized muffin. I bake once every two weeks and make blueberry, banana, cinnamon. We freeze them. Every morning we take them out frozen and bake them the same temp the same time half the time in foil and then open the foil the other half and serve. They taste just made. No fuss, no muss.
Riki

Back